You burnt how many calories?!

Options

Replies

• keenster
    Options
    If cleaning for an hour burned half my daily calories, I'd be invisible by now.

Love this line!
    5663213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I dont estimate i used my HRM

Its possible for body attack for me to get into 100-120 per 10mins, most classes are 60mins, however someone bigger than me, taller or holding more weight would gain alot more calore burnage.

Calorie burnage is always a guess either way.
  • cbarila
    cbarila Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm just transitioning to this site from another site. Exercise is such a tricky thing. I agree, most people overestimate their calories burned. I usually count 2/3 of the amount a calorie-burn calculator gives me. I don't wear a heart rate monitor, since I have a high resting heart rate anyway. When I tried one, it was telling me I was burning ridiculous amounts of calories just sitting around the house. Obviously that's not true, or I wouldn't have regained 30 pounds last year. (lost 50# with WW a couple of years ago).

In my experience, one reason why people don't understand why they aren't losing weight, or aren't losing it fast enough, is that they are underestimating calories in, and overestimating calories out. I also try to stay away from "eating" my exercise calories as much as possible.
  • Brittany39down
    Options
    This is why I don't eat back all the cals it says I burned. I don't fully trust the estimate from here. One day I will get a HRM but until then it is just a "guess." I log stuff on here to keep track of what I am doing more then anything.

Me too. MFP exercises seem to be exaggerated. Not as much as some other sites I've been to (sparkpeople calculated that my 45 min Zumba class burned 535 cals; so i went about 100 under to be safe) but still if you're trying to eat to the right calorie count it can be confusing. I also wish MFP would expand their exercise list to include more activities. Zumba wasn't on there for example, and I felt the "dance" category just wasn't' quite the right fit.

My Zumba instructor wears a HRM w/ chest strap. At the end of class she usually gives us the amount of calories she burned. Mostly between 800-950 calories for a 60 minute class. I only log 500 since I know I do not move as quickly or energeticaly (sp?) as her. She is also about 40 lbs lighter than me. I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat back all the cals it says I burned. I don't fully trust the estimate from here. One day I will get a HRM but until then it is just a "guess." I log stuff on here to keep track of what I am doing more then anything.

Same here! I don't trust many counters, and I know I over-estimate my cals, but better safe than sorry!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    75 minutes is 1100 calories burnt for me on an elliptical on the 7 setting at 20% incline. This is using a Polar HRM.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It's total BS.
    Those numbers are way out of line, and it won't be long before the ones recording such numbers come back crying the blues about how they're doing everything they're supposed to do but can't get results.:sad:

I agree completely. IMHO the best way to get a feel for how many cals you can/need to eat is keep your diet and exercise reasonably stable for three weeks and monitor your progress with scales and a tape measure. If you are progressing the way you want to stick with it. If you are not tweak and repeat.

Why three weeks? Anything much less than this and you will be making dietary changes based on insufficient data... you simply will not have enough readings to understand your weekly fluctuations.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I definitely think there's a point where you can really 'nickel and dime' your calories and agree that it sets you up for disappointment.

I trust my HRM because it seems way more reasonable. I've never burned anywhere near even 900 calories doing an hour of high impact cardio, If I can burn an average of 10kcal/min I'm happy.

Logging 'cooking' as an activity is one that boggles my mind. I consider stuff like that extra padding just in case my BMR is a little lower than what MFP thinks it should be.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I used to have a person on my friends list that would log walking, carrying her kid, housework, etc....EVERYTHING as exercise. She ended up logging about 6.5 hours of cardio activity every day. You can't tell her that those are daily activities because she says she "doesn't do the same thing every day."
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I definitely think there's a point where you can really 'nickel and dime' your calories and agree that it sets you up for disappointment.

I trust my HRM because it seems way more reasonable. I've never burned anywhere near even 900 calories doing an hour of high impact cardio, If I can burn an average of 10kcal/min I'm happy.

Logging 'cooking' as an activity is one that boggles my mind. I consider stuff like that extra padding just in case my BMR is a little lower than what MFP thinks it should be.

This, I can't stand when people put cooking and cleaning in as calories, guys just let that be padding. You don't need it logged!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use my BodyBugg to get more acurate calorie counts - In 90 minutes on the treadmill - 6.87 miles - I burned 910 calories.

Me too - and it's supposed to be 90% accurate, so if I eat my exercise calories back, I don't eat 20% of them back just in case. Like if I burn 600 calories for my daily exercise, I'll only eat back 480 or so, just to be on the safe side. Don't want to overestimate my burn.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I acknowledge that people differ in the amount of energy they will exert during exercise, I generally like to be conservative in my estimates. Is it really possible to burn 2000 calories in 90 minutes? Here is a generic calculator I came across, and it seems to be more in the ball park of what I think is correct.

http://mydr.com.au/tools/calories-burned-calculator

I keep seeing numbers like 1400 in 45minutes and the like. I think some people may be setting themselves up for disappointment when the numbers they get on MFP don't translate to weight loss.

My basic understanding is you burn around 900 calories running for 1 hour, note that is running, not jogging. Using this as a base you can estimate roughly other activities. But of course we are all different and we all have different bodies that will burn calories at different rates. The calculations are based on the study you can read here http://juststand.org/Portals/3/literature/compendium-of-physical-activities.pdf

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I ONLY burn up to about 600 calories an hour, if I run SOMETIMES it's 650.... I heard your supposed to be able to jog and talk, which is still difficult for me, but I can't imagine being able to run and talk and burn 900, my heart rate is already up to around 155 and my max is I think around 190.... My HRM says my range should be something like 135-150.... so I can't imagine ever burning that much at once.. but then again it is according to each individual and perhaps running does burn more if I could keep my HR up to 170... but anyways, just my experience.

(Yes I read your post about you meaning running not jogging, I'm just putting in my personal view on jogging calories, I can't actually "run" for an hour straight when it takes so much out of me to jog that long, teehee)

I burn 100 every 10 minutes while having my HR up that high and typicially HALF that if I have it around 100-110 and anything lower isn't really exercise.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I admit I put in cooking sometimes, but I try not to use the calories.

Reason I do it... simple, my husband does all the cooking in the house.

My rule of thumb is to write down anything I don't typically do.. I do less than once every few weeks.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    don't over think things. this is weight loss, not rocket surgery. no need to be so precise.
    [/quote]

^^This.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    And this is why I never bother worrying about calorie burn during exercise or net calories...It just gives people one more thing to obsess over, get wrong or confuse themselves with.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity. And no, that doesn't mean I am simple ;)
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In my experience in depends on the person. I dont go by the numbers on MFP. I use a heart rate monitor. I usually workout at anywhere btwn 75-85% of my max heart rate but it depends on the workout that Im doing. I have never burned 2000 calories in 90 minutes but I have burned over 1,000 calories in 90 minutes. I have also burned 1600 calories for doing 2 1/2 hrs of cardio ( I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor).

I guess what Im trying to say is it all depends on the person, how much they weigh and the intensity of their exercising!

I acknowledge that people differ in the amount of energy they will exert during exercise, I generally like to be conservative in my estimates. Is it really possible to burn 2000 calories in 90 minutes? Here is a generic calculator I came across, and it seems to be more in the ball park of what I think is correct.

http://mydr.com.au/tools/calories-burned-calculator

I keep seeing numbers like 1400 in 45minutes and the like. I think some people may be setting themselves up for disappointment when the numbers they get on MFP don't translate to weight loss.

My basic understanding is you burn around 900 calories running for 1 hour, note that is running, not jogging. Using this as a base you can estimate roughly other activities. But of course we are all different and we all have different bodies that will burn calories at different rates. The calculations are based on the study you can read here http://juststand.org/Portals/3/literature/compendium-of-physical-activities.pdf

What are peoples thoughts on this?
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is actually a complicated formula and there is not really a 1 size fits most approach. The data in MFP is as accurate as the person who did the data entry. Heres a link for Exercise Caloried Burned Calculator:
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html

After about the 8th week of using the MFP data base last year I started to not see results. I suspect my body was responding to the new healthier eating habits and adding exercise where I had been sedentary before that. The "failure" to see results made me fee frustrated and I nearly quit trying. I did get really unmotivated for several months because I felt like "what's the use"?!!

I did, however, find this great link that has lists and lists of different exercises and approximate calories burned.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned_list.asp

Personally - I decided to invest in myself and bought the BodyMedia Fit LINK (this model has bluetooth to link to a Smartphone) because estimating and guessing wasn't working well for me. With my new weight loss and health tool I lost 4.5 pound the first week.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have found that when it comes to food MFP is RIGHT ON..but in exercise it overestimates most of the time. Just my findings, though.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing that people burn 800 calories doing 30 minutes of walking their dog. Keyword, WALKING lol

I wish. If a woman is *actually burning that much than I assume she is much larger than myself and has a lot to lose....

I get my heart rate up above 150 on the elliptical or running it's usaully 160s 170s - I never usually burn more than 300 calories in 30 minutes. Walking it would be a lot less. Unlike the OPs numbers - I would NEVER burn 900 cals running for an hour - that's me though and I'm a girl in ok shape, he's a guy. Everyone is different. But some of the burns I see are quite high... exceptionally high.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    And this is why I never bother worrying about calorie burn during exercise or net calories...It just gives people one more thing to obsess over, get wrong or confuse themselves with.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity. And no, that doesn't mean I am simple ;)

Yes simple is best. Every decision I make regarding fitness or diet is based on the answer to the question, "Can I do this for the rest of my life?". But that is because I have already figured out how my body works. Knowing the small details can be helpful in learning about yourself.