You burnt how many calories?!

Options

Replies

• caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are, the less calories you burn doing the same activity at the same intensity for the same time. 'Fitter' means more efficient at exercise.

The fatter (heavier) you are, the more calories you will burn doing the same activity, at the same intensity for the same time. Just like if the fit person had to do the same activity with 100 pounds strapped to them. you would burn more doing it.

Also, I see a lot of judgement on this site about peoples activity logged.

"Why would someone log cleaning?That's normal activity anyway"

"Why do people log a slow walk? that's not cardio."

How do you know these people haven't already downgraded the activity they are doing, to get a more accurate burn???

For example, When I walk at a medium pace, I log it as slow. When i walk fast, I log it as medium. When I log 'cleaning', it's usually heavy duty stuff, like scrubbing the bathroom or re-arranging furniture, not standing at the sink doing dishes.

People are not dumb. When the scale stops moving in the downward direction, they usually go back and re-assess themselves, or ask for help on the forums. When I see people calling out like this "Cleaning is not exercise!" rest assured, i form a judgement about you.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is good for the "average person". It should not be taken as gospel though.

Whether to eat back your calories or not is up to you and what works. It does not work for me. I have to restrict my diet to 2000 calories total to see any results.

MFP's calories burned is also very optimistic for me. Meaning that it's always off in the high area, as determined by an HRM. It will state I burn X calories when my HRM will say I burned X - ? calories, so that's another thing to be wary of.

Good luck.
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should not guess or use an online tool to determine the amount of calories you burn. I do burn lots of calories but I use a HRM and I am currently doing 2 HIIT workout programs one in the early afternoon and one in the evening.
    Plus it does depend on How overweight you are, your age, and your fitness level.
    So in my opinion the best tool would be a good HRM....
  • chodgi06
    chodgi06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat back all the cals it says I burned. I don't fully trust the estimate from here. One day I will get a HRM but until then it is just a "guess." I log stuff on here to keep track of what I am doing more then anything.

Me too. MFP exercises seem to be exaggerated. Not as much as some other sites I've been to (sparkpeople calculated that my 45 min Zumba class burned 535 cals; so i went about 100 under to be safe) but still if you're trying to eat to the right calorie count it can be confusing. I also wish MFP would expand their exercise list to include more activities. Zumba wasn't on there for example, and I felt the "dance" category just wasn't' quite the right fit.

Just a note, i wear an HRM while working out, and during my Zumba class, i regularly burn over 700 calories. I dont necessarily eat them all back, but i'm working out hard, somewhere between 80-90% of peak HR on avg.
  • ukjake3
    ukjake3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The machines at the gym usually overestimate the amount of calories that I do based on the HRM that I wear. My HRM is a Polar FT4, which is not VO2. Given my age, weight, & HR, is my HRM accurate enough to go by or should I reduce what it actually says? I'm 6'2 & weigh 260. My HRM says for me playing basketball for 50-60 minutes is around 900 calories; do you think this is accurate enough to enter on MFP?
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM with a strap and in an hour I can burn up to 800 calories, but I am working super hard, so rowing, treadmill, etc. My heart rate is around 128 - 135 for most of it. So yeah you can burn a lot of calories in an hour, unless of course you also don't believe in technology like a HRM.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Excellent topic! For example, I was using cross training, general for calculating my 30 day shred workouts @ 251 calories burned. I purchased a HRM and when I did my work out for today, it's only 168! Oops! I'm sure it's different for everyone but this was my experience!

Good luck to everyone!

I found the same problem - until I started using the HRM I was logging things over and under.
    Now I am logging exactly what I do so fingers crossed it starts to make a difference!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I was a member of another calorie/food tracking site and like MFP it overestimated the calories expended for many activities.

I noticed it most with running.

So, I now routinely only log 2/3 or my running time. A 45 mins run would be logged as 30mins.
  • tracyruz
    Options
    I see a lot of you use a HRM...I was thinking about getting one for myself before I read this topic. Any suggestions on brands and what I should look for in one? My treadmill always comes in higher than MFP and I generally do not eat my workout "calories" - I just use them for when I slightly go over...it would be nice to know more accurately what I am burning...
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to help me keep on track. It was the best $80 investment I have ever made. It allows me to keep track of previous caloric burns for workouts so I can try to out do the last. I would recommend a hrm to anyone.
  • curiodal
    curiodal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read the same thing.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    don't over think things. this is weight loss, not rocket surgery. no need to be so precise.

Lol! Rocket surgery. Love it! :laugh:

That's pretty much how I feel about the whole calories burned argument. I take pilates classes, and MFP has it at 185 calories for an hour. Seems low to me (especially since I'm sweating like crazy during my workout) but I log it the same anyway. My work out should help combat the stress in life, not to add to it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I estimate running at about 90 calories per mile. I had an HRM for some time and it gave a little higher calorie burn per average (9:00) mile.

I raise a bit of an eyebrow when I see smaller women close to goal weight logging 60-90 minute elliptical sessions at over 1000 calories burned. Don't really care what you do but don't delude yourself thinking you're burning ridiculous amounts of calories over and over again. Your body adapts, gets more fit and efficient, and you burn less.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    OP, Thanks for the calculator link. :smile:
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I find in my training that MFP usually over estimates how many cals I have burned. I logged what the machine or HRM states...
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's total BS.
    Those numbers are way out of line, and it won't be long before the ones recording such numbers come back crying the blues about how they're doing everything they're supposed to do but can't get results.:sad:

I recall somebody wanting to argue that point once, and instead of admitting they were wrong, they just deactivated their account.
    I WISH I could burn that much in 90 minutes.
    I workout 2 hours a day, and for 2 whole hours, I burn about 1000 calories.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi on the example of 600 calories after cleaning deal. I noticed that after I had logged my 110 minutes on the treadmill it stated what I burned while doing that. Later I went for a short walk with my dog and MFP added it to my cardio minutes with no mention of walking the dog at a slower pace. . I think that is one way that posts are showing too many calories burnt for the activity. For example if someone logged house cleaning for 45 minutes, then ran 4 miles and logged again, it would show up as all the calories burnt for cleaning house. I myself would never add house cleaning since it's something I do anyway, not for exercise.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing that people burn 800 calories doing 30 minutes of walking their dog. Keyword, WALKING lol
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym, I usually rely on what the machine says, although that's not the most accurate way of doing things. If I go for a walk, I use a pedometer to calculate calories burned (an six mile walk in around two hours usually burns 700 to 800 calories according to the pedometer). Using the pedometer seems enough for walks, but I'm thinking of buying a HRM as they are more accurate.