Won't eat THAT again...

Options
12346»

Replies

• jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww but freshly dead chicken is still freshly dead chicken.

Rather eat a dead one than a live one
  • ywilliams125
    Options
    OMG!!!!!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had a friend in high school tell me all about hot dogs. I refused to eat them for years. Then I got over myself.
    LOL!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion. I have not been a big meat eater for years. But a few years ago almost entirely quit eating beef and now I don't eat it at all. Once in a while I will have a little turkey, not much.

My reason for my feelings about beef is that a farmer put in a feedlot next to my house. If you ever want to be "cured" of wanting to eat beef, go check out a feedlot. Or go out into the country and check out how some people keep their animals. It might concern you a bit. Or it might not.

Keep in mind too, the cows die in fear, but have no choice but to step forward to get the hammer, each one in her turn. It ain't purdy! I want nothing to do with it, so refuse to eat the products of that industry now.

With turkeys I doubt it is a lot better. But I haven't been that up close to turkeys. I can't justify eating meat at all. But I am not very adept at getting protein on my anti inflammatory diet, so a couple of times a month I do eat a bit of turkey.

Not all farmers treat and keep their livestock in horrid conditions. I am surrounded by cattle and dairy farms that are all pastured and grass fed.

I actually get raw dairy and beef from 2 of these farmers. The best meat I have ever eaten.
  • arianeari
    arianeari Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess it would be better to have soup made of chickens who got their throats sliced and left hanging to die from chocking on the blood, or being plucked and boiled while still alive. just saying. pretty much no humane method of slaughtering animals for human consumption

seems its the whole idea that the chickens had been dead for some x amount of time and began to rot. which would make me go hmm at anyone selling or trying to buy them.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    part of the reason i'm vegetarian. now i just need to back away from the eggs and cheese.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this on FB recently??

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400527_10150599900219813_744434812_10988797_307297832_n.jpg

Can You Guess What McDonald’s Food Item This Is? Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It’s what all fast-food chicken is made – things like chicken nuggets and patties. In addition, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it. Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve — bones, eyes, guts, and all. It comes out looking like this. There’s more: because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Finally, since it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

Not trying to defend the McNugget. But the truth is bad enough without adding untruths to the mix. For a more balanced view, check out: http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing that, simply because a big company like Campbell's probably doesn't need to go running around to all sorts of small farms collecting dead chickens for soup. That being said, very few things that go on in the meat & dairy industry surprise me anymore, and that's why I'm vegan. If you're concerned about where your food comes from, books & movies especially have made it more than easy to find out, despite attempts to keep things hush-hush. The information is all there, you just have to look at it.
  • mama1229
    Options
    I'm in Canada, so that MIGHT make a difference,

but I find that very hard to believe....

we lived on a dairy farm and raised cattle and with the laws the way they are now you have to pay to have deadstock remove any dead animals... Any animal that dies on it's own away from a proper kill facility is unfit even for animal food.

Additionally laying hens medicated and innoculated and that would prohibit them from being used for human consumption for sixty days even at the end of their productivity....

I'm thinking urban myth
    In my area Tyson had two types of farms. Corporate farms and Contractor farms. On corporate farms there were typically 7-8 houses with 20-30,000 chickens in each house. These chickens were placed in the houses as hatchlings and were raised to "full grown" in about 7 weeks. The birds were pumped full of steroids and growth hormones(very evident in the color of the food in the feed troughs). As the birds grew larger over the 7wk period it was not uncommon to have 100's of "dead" on a daily basis, especially in the summer months. The "dead truck" would make rounds to all the corporate farms and pick up the chickens that had died from various causes. These trucks were then sent to the local dog food manufacturer where the dead chickens were irradiated and ground up for filler in hard dog food. Don't know how the US handles beef but I know for a fact how they handle chickens(Tyson Farms, anyway). The pullet (laying hens) houses were completely separate from the chicken houses and those birds were never processed for human consumption.