I'm craving burgers- HELP!

Options
zoominzozo
zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
Hi everyone, I'm craving burgers sooo badly but I want a healthier burger that still contains beef. Anybody got any ideas on how to spruce it up???

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It won't be as juicy, but use a leaner ground beef like 93/7
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Just have one. Work out a little bit extra later
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    you can try mixing turkey and lean beef and adding some tiny onions to the mix to keep it moist
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    There was a good burger recipe in the food and nutrition section and while back, have a scan through or use the search button and you may be able to find it still! It looked delicious!
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options

^^^This, make your own with 93/7. Find a good low carb 0 fat marinade and it can be as good as you can have outside.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MrsSpinx- thanks, I didn't even realise there was a search option. Just looking through now.

If anybody knows any awesome ingredients to add, like I've heard or horseradish or chili's in the past, but just wondering what everybody else's faves are too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

This. I add whorchestershire to add some juicyness back.
  • cgrout78
    Options
    worcestershire is good to add, or steak sauce
  • heggleston921
    heggleston921 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of switching to sliders and oven-baked fries to satisfy that urge for burgers and fries. We'll just have two 1 oz patties on the tiny buns, add the fixins and have a salad on the side. :happy:
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh man I love burgers..I use lean ground beef...chopped up onion..maple/garlic seasoning if I have it, and other than that I usually just experiment. I've put some Peanut Butter in by request from the boyfriend, and it was pretty good. I've also stuffed them with smoked cheddar...or a pickle slice...or bacon...or all of the above. The last time I made burgers, to save on calories but not taste I only used half a bun..so it was like an open faced burger. It might have been slightly messier, but it tasted sooo good, since you could really get at all the flavors without a boring bun in the way.
  • Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally still have burgers! I just use the light wonder wheat bread,cheese and lots of veggies. I use the lean ground round and my GF grill :) Delish. I don't mind the burgers not as juicy, they are still very filling....now I want one :)
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    ever try bison meat? Very lean.... very beefy....... available at a Wegman's Supermarket if you have one near you.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    cgrout78 and I are friends because Karma put us together.............................enjoy your burger OPer!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Have a burger if you are craving it! Use super lean ground beef and keep an eye on it to avoid overcooking. Use a whole wheat bun, a little bit of flavorful cheese (or low fat if you prefer), and lots of vegetables! If you want fries, bake some up. Just make sure to account for it in your daily calories. Not long ago I made patty melts and fries for dinner (and ate another patty melt the next day at lunch)... Delicious! Plus, a ton healthier then any I could get at a restaurant.

Now I want a hamburger...
  • cgrout78
    Options
    cgrout78 and I are friends because Karma put us together.............................enjoy your burger OPer!

awww...now we gotta hug it out!!
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    just have one! and log the calories. and exercise it's worth. Don't deprive your craving! when i do that, I just obsess about it even more! eat it without guilt and enjoy every bit of it! just be sure to 'pay' the price of the burger. just do it!
    :wink:
  • Mnmkid2
    Options
    Trader Joes carries 97/3 beef and is very good. Put on a thin 100 calorie wheat bun or Ezekiel bread with lettuce tomato. If you have to have cheese, use the Mozarella with skim milk and sprinkle on the burger with a few slices of avocado. You can make it tastey. I work for a diner and resist the burgers every day and mine work for me! Make along with some sweet potatoe fries! Good luck!:smile:
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pick a top grade of beef or buffalo and have yourself a burger. Free range, organic meat is more expensive, but most of my meat eater friends say it is way worth the cost. Other great stand-ins...wild game (elk, in particular).
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    buffalo.. low in fat.. whole wheat bun.. lots of veggies... broiled or grilled..
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Best Burger Ever:

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/01/04/loaded-quinoa-veggie-burgers/

Drrrr... sorry, no beef in this one! I need to pay closer attention to the full post!!