I'm craving burgers- HELP!

Options

Replies

• BuffaloJerseyGirl
    Options
    I eat venison burgers....very low fat,good on protein just as tasty(add a bit of mozzarella light) = Low Fat Muscle Builder :)

It almost feels like cheating.lol

MMMmmm.... I love venison burgers! We always have trouble getting the venison ground to stay together because it's so lean, so we grind up bacon and onion with the venison. Not exactly sure if that defeats the purpose of a venison burger's "leanness" (is that even a word?) but it tastes pretty good!

I love burgers in general though....probably my food of choice if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life! Burger (of any kind...I'm not picky!), slice of cheese and a bun is pure heaven for my tastebuds! :tongue:
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself.
    It's ok to indulge every so often, as long as it doesn't become a habit.

We buy regular frozen burgers & we grill them on a George Foreman (or similar type) grill.
    So all the excess grease drips off.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you want a burger, have a burger.
    Work it off later :smile:
  • Twitchy109
    Options
    Eat a burger but wrap it in lettuce instead of using a bun. And use a leaner beef.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You already tried those loathsome meatless burgers - :huh:

I used lean beef mixed with ground turkey.
    And instead of a heavy bun, I used whole wheat, sliced bread - the good stuff that costs $5 a loaf, but it's worth it, and it lasts as long since I'm not just eating breads with every meal.

And I dress it heavy with veggies: caramelized onions, peppers, garlic with lettuce, tomatoes and salsa topped with grated pepper jack cheese. These are around 500 calories each; I eat two and call that X-Mas.

I just can't go less than that and feel like I've eaten a burger.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Worcestershire (spelling??) sauce and the McCormick Hamburger seasoning.
  • cgshekelly
    Options
    Hey there,
    It's not really the meat that is the problem - that's the protien! I enjoy a burger too, but don't like the extra carbs from the bread/bun so I use a portabello mushroom as my bun. Now - unfortunately, you can't pick it up and eat it with your hands as it would be rather messy (Or go ahead - it's up to you) so I cut it with a nife and fork!
    I know portabella mushroom are really big - so I only use one on the bottom - It may not sound appealing but when you think about it it's really the meat and fixin's that you are craving from the burger!
    Good luck - there are lots of great tips here!!
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would love to try Bison but the UK is only as adventurous as Beef:tongue:
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    96/4 extra lean beef 4 oz = 150 cals. Get lowest calorie bun / bread you can find or go the lettuce bun route (it's really good, btw). Skip cheese and mayo. Load up on low cal condiments. ketchup, mustard or bbq sauce, pickles, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, lettuce, etc... are so low cal that you can't screw up. Tastes awesome and low cal.
  • patmc35
    patmc35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you use really lean beef you can grate some veggies in there to add moisture. Red peppers, onions or carrots. Lipton onion soup mix is good mixed in with a bit of bbq sauce. Have a burger don't deprive yourself.
  • kayleeh821
    Options
    for the fries try the sweet potato fries I hear they are really really good and a whole lot healthier for you...and if you can bake instead of fry always bake....no need for the worries about frying your food.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Oh man I love burgers..I use lean ground beef...chopped up onion..maple/garlic seasoning if I have it, and other than that I usually just experiment. I've put some Peanut Butter in by request from the boyfriend, and it was pretty good. I've also stuffed them with smoked cheddar...or a pickle slice...or bacon...or all of the above. The last time I made burgers, to save on calories but not taste I only used half a bun..so it was like an open faced burger. It might have been slightly messier, but it tasted sooo good, since you could really get at all the flavors without a boring bun in the way.

PEANUT BUTTER!?! Really!?! Open faced I can get down with, but...peanut butter?
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Using sandwich thins or other low-calorie bread (instead of a bun) would help, too.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    Osterich is not bad at all by the time you put everything else on it. :bigsmile:

The lean ground sirloin I buy is 96/4 and has almost the same nutrient values as ground turkey breast. So you CAN have beef! I agree with everyone who says to season it well and use onion and don't cook it as long.

Putting black bean puree in the burger mixture is also good, but it will not save you calories since just 1/2 cup of black beans is 100-120 calories.

Now I'm also craving a burger!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Best Burger Ever:

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/01/04/loaded-quinoa-veggie-burgers/

Drrrr... sorry, no beef in this one! I need to pay closer attention to the full post!!

This is an insult to burgers
  • FitLink
    Options
    I honestly don't think that burgers are THAT bad.

Fries are virtually useless calories, so if you want the burger, have the burger. Log it, count it, and adjust.

Note: One McDonald's hamburger is 250 calories. Splurge for the cheeseburger and it is 300 calories.

Most microwave meals are more than that! Just make sure you don't order the fries!!!!

Enjoy!

I don't think burgers are unhealthy at all, so long as you enter them. It's ridiculous that we seem to want to label everything "unhealthy" if it tastes good.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I still have my burgers as well. Either turkey or 93/7 beef. Sometimes I have the real thing from 5 guys but I work it into my day.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Simple is better as far as burgers go. My burger recipe? Ground meat (I grind it myself, that way I know exactly what I'm getting,) salt, pepper. Cook, and eat. I'm a purist, I like my burger to taste like beef, not stuff. :laugh:

Oh, I hear you! I love beef, and can't imagine mixing sauces and flavorings in! I'm also always amazed when I see a good steak drowning in steal sauce or...omg...eewww...ketchup! I do confess to topping a good burger with a leaf of lettuce and a tomato slice, though...
  • FitLink
    Options
    I combine lean ground beef, ground turkey, low sodium Worcestershire sauce, red onions, grated carrots, finely chopped spinach, ketchup, mustard, sea salt, pepper medley, and smoked paprika, together, then form patties and cook on the grill and if I am not in the mood for a bun I take green lettuce leaves and wrap it around the burger, also I add muenster, provolone, or cheddar cheese sometimes when I am wanting a gooey burger!..this helps me with my cravings because If i could, I would eat a charbroiled burger at least 3 times a week! Lot less calories and a whole lot better than fast food or restaurant burgers!

It seems to me that a charbroiled burger (wrapped in your lettuce leaves) would be a good source of protein and you could do worse than having one three times a week!
  • sousaness
    sousaness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What I have found is that adding cheese to anything really cranks up the cals! Add a wedge of laughing cow light garlic cheese... it is only 35cals and I think it adds so much more taste then american cheese. Of course use a light wheet hamburger bun (90 cals) and I think you are in good shape.