I'm craving burgers- HELP!

Options

Replies

• mattkellett
    Options
    substitute all your ground beef with ground turket breast, dress up the burgers when you are making them, it will be delicious.
  • LetsDoThisTrish
    Options
    Take lean ground beef and mix it with black bean puree, so there's technically more beans than meat in the patty. Season the same way you would a burger, plus you'd get fiber on top of all that protein!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Great that you want to make it healthier. But I don't deny myself a good juicy cheeseburger once in a while, just don't have 3 in one sitting!
  • davidherling
    Options
    Both bison and ostrich are great alternatives, similar flavour but much healthier. If you want the real thing just watch your portion size. Do two sliders and a bunch of other stuff that will fill you up. Start off with one slider, eat a bunch of veggies, then have another one to finish. I generally do't care for turkey or chicken burgers, but if you put the right veggies and spices in I am sold. I will take a jerk chicken burger with grilled pineapple any day of the week.
  • shelbydmorris
    shelbydmorris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband had lunch at a burger place and I got the Gardenburger - OH MY! With all the fixings - it was delicious!
  • reyoflight
    Options
    You know, we just had burgers this week ... we used a low calorie wheat bun, all the veggies, no dressing, and we used a mixture of ground turkey and ground bison ... DELICIOUS!! And it was only 215 calories.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just make one at home with some extra lean ground beef with all the fixins :)
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think that burgers are THAT bad.

Fries are virtually useless calories, so if you want the burger, have the burger. Log it, count it, and adjust.

Note: One McDonald's hamburger is 250 calories. Splurge for the cheeseburger and it is 300 calories.

Most microwave meals are more than that! Just make sure you don't order the fries!!!!

Enjoy!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight thanks to turkey burgers. Have you given them a fair shot? Some brands are absolutely delicious.
  • schivis
    schivis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use 93/7 beef add liquid smoke montreal steak seasoning and cook medium rare. Instead of using a bun I sautee onion and mushroom using a spritz of PAM put that on top with a little low fat blue cheese and steak sauce crumble a slice of low fat bacon over the top and garnish with a dill pickle. YUMMY!
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Two words- Worchestershire sauce! And a few more words :wink: - buffalo or elk- buffalo will be easier to find than elk, unless you can find a game processor nearby, or are yourself a hunter or related to/close friends with one :wink:

And on a more regular basis, don't turn your nose up at Boca Burgers... their regular 'grilled' ones (can't remember the actual name) are excellent and can certainly help curb a more frequent craving (since you probably don't want to eat real burgers on a daily basis) :wink:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    It won't be as juicy, but use a leaner ground beef like 93/7

This...I use 93/7 or 96/4...buuuut that's because then I pile on some swiss cheese, and mushrooms, and onions. Or I'll do some a burger with 2-3 slices of bacon, cheese and lettuce and tomato.

lastly I use 40 calorie bread instead of a bun...its a little disappointing, but really its all about the burger anyways.

My burgers still get up there for calories, but they are much bigger, tasty and keep you full longer than a McDouble etc.

Example - 4 oz lean beef 96/4, 6 oz mushrooms sliced, half an onion, 1 slice sargento reduced fat cheese, 2 slices Natures own 40 calorie bread (toasted) = 300 calories. ... and almost a pound of food...
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just buy extra lean 1/4 lb beef patties and use those 100 calorie sandwich thins instead of a regular bun. It's relatively low cal that way and I find it delicious! It's just sort of small, so I eat 2 cups of broccoli and cauliflower or a big salad first to fill my belly and then enjoy my delicious burger. Yum!
  • garyl7593
    Options
    I eat venison burgers....very low fat,good on protein just as tasty(add a bit of mozzarella light) = Low Fat Muscle Builder :)

It almost feels like cheating.lol
  • mlc3409
    mlc3409 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bison if you can find it is very Lean. I would say JUST HAVE YOUR BURGER!! The best way I can think of is to use the Leanest hamburger, add some Onion soup mix broil them up and then have it on a bed of salad with some Fat Free Dressing and cheese. Make it like a Burger Salad. Leave out the bread and just Enjoy!!

If you star Depriving yourself of your craves then you are more likely to binge. Don't cave just control how you eat what you crave.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Simple is better as far as burgers go. My burger recipe? Ground meat (I grind it myself, that way I know exactly what I'm getting,) salt, pepper. Cook, and eat. I'm a purist, I like my burger to taste like beef, not stuff. :laugh:
  • davidherling
    Options
    Oh, one other thought, get some filet mignon, beef tenderloin cut into medalions. Slice them thinner, say to 1 inch thickness, then grill on something nice and hot just to sear the outside (filet mignon cooks quickly and has very little fat so overcooking will dry it out), then serve it on a bun. Very lean cut of meat, and tender enough to eat like a burger. Give in to the crave, just watch your portions.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    We are actually having burgers tonight. I PLAN for it - I put it on my diary first, then plan the rest of my day around it. Today we're having 80/20 burgers because that's all we have and I can't go to the grocery before dinner, but usually a 93/7 burger is what I prefer. Cook it slow (medium low setting) and it will still be pretty juicy if you don't over cook it. After I add my exercise calories to my diary, I won't be over and it will be a great, nutritious day with lots of protien :happy:

I live by that "eveything in moderation" mantra. Planning is key.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I use lean ground beef, and mix in worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, and salt & pepper before forming my patties.

Mmm, burgers.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    Grilled burgers, so the fat drips out (as opposed to fried in the pan). And I say go ahead and eat a burger! I eat them once and a while (at a brew pub)... I will sub salad for the fries, and pass the cheese and mayo. I'll cut the burger in half... eat my salad and half the burger. If I'm honestly still hungry, I'll eat the other half... but usually I just take it home and stick it in the fridge! :o) No need to totally deprive yourself. I'm sure you're doing an awesome job! Cheers.