I'm craving burgers- HELP!

Options

Replies

• lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I use the lean beef, grill it and add lots of lowfat toppings. I love mustard, saurkraut ( hey, is't MY dream burger) onions and pickles. That type of thing adds lots of flavor and not many calories. Keeps me from feeling deprived. I tried some of the Not meat things but wasn't impressed. Some recipes recommend ground chicken or turkey patties but you have to read the label since some of those are higher in fat and calories than the lean beef. . Good luck,
  • k8vic
    k8vic Posts: 4
    Options
    I use extra lean ground bison (which has same calories and fat as skinless chicken breast but still looks and tastes like beef)
    Use a lower calorie barbeque sauce IN the burger before you grill it.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I combine lean ground beef, ground turkey, low sodium Worcestershire sauce, red onions, grated carrots, finely chopped spinach, ketchup, mustard, sea salt, pepper medley, and smoked paprika, together, then form patties and cook on the grill and if I am not in the mood for a bun I take green lettuce leaves and wrap it around the burger, also I add muenster, provolone, or cheddar cheese sometimes when I am wanting a gooey burger!..this helps me with my cravings because If i could, I would eat a charbroiled burger at least 3 times a week! Lot less calories and a whole lot better than fast food or restaurant burgers!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It won't be as juicy, but use a leaner ground beef like 93/7
    this is what i was going to suggest
  • mlc3409
    mlc3409 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We are actually having burgers tonight. I PLAN for it - I put it on my diary first, then plan the rest of my day around it. Today we're having 80/20 burgers because that's all we have and I can't go to the grocery before dinner, but usually a 93/7 burger is what I prefer. Cook it slow (medium low setting) and it will still be pretty juicy if you don't over cook it. After I add my exercise calories to my diary, I won't be over and it will be a great, nutritious day with lots of protien :happy:

I live by that "eveything in moderation" mantra. Planning is key.

Great Information!!! It is the best way to enjoy the foods you tend to Cut out the most.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    now i'm craving burgers.... mmmmm, burgers.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    images7.jpg
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of switching to sliders and oven-baked fries to satisfy that urge for burgers and fries. We'll just have two 1 oz patties on the tiny buns, add the fixins and have a salad on the side. :happy:

I should totally make sliders this weekend! Love them!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Making your own burgers will always be lower in calories because you can control everything.

Just make a smaller size burger with all the fixings...
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yes, buy ground sirloin, add some onions and seasoning to it, put it on the grill. Serve it on a 100 calorie bun with lettuce, tomato and a pickle or what ever your heart desires. Never deprive yourself a little of something:bigsmile:
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well...most everyone has already answered...lol lean ground beef, bison or venison. I dont use regular burger buns with my burgers, I get portabella caps and use those instead, no need for ketchup or mustard, just the mushrooms, onions, lettuce tomatos, maybe some pickles or relish, the burger and voila! =) those work well with chicken sandwiches as well!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I use 93/7 beef add liquid smoke montreal steak seasoning and cook medium rare. Instead of using a bun I sautee onion and mushroom using a spritz of PAM put that on top with a little low fat blue cheese and steak sauce crumble a slice of low fat bacon over the top and garnish with a dill pickle. YUMMY!

Oh my goodness does that sound delicious..................Mmmmmm
  • Elisa500
    Options
    Try a Turkey burger or have one reguklar burger with no fries or soda!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Grill a burger, leave it medium/well so it is still juicy and add low calorie toppings like mustard or salsa.
  • HotSoupGirl
    Options
    Yup.. Deb said just about what I was going to say. 97% ground beef. I use wonder light bread(I like the patty melt thing).. And then a burger doesn't end up with more calories than a sandwhich..

Pretty tasty.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My sister chops up mushrooms (very fine) and adds that to the beef. You don't even notice the mushrooms and the burger is nice and juicy.
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    Go eat one, and work it off later.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use 93/7 beef add liquid smoke montreal steak seasoning and cook medium rare. Instead of using a bun I sautee onion and mushroom using a spritz of PAM put that on top with a little low fat blue cheese and steak sauce crumble a slice of low fat bacon over the top and garnish with a dill pickle. YUMMY!

^ Oh, my - yumm! Sometimes you just have to have that beef burger to fill that craving... sorry - Turkey burgers are also on my diet 90% of the time but won't take the place of a good 'ole beef burger... I have to try this one above - and you're right, cut out the bun or half the bun even ... or make it light/wheat roll for less calories and certainly watch those fries - there are ways so as to NOT make it 1300 calories, right? hehe LOVE all the suggestions here!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    THE BUN is key! Hamburger buns can have hundreds of calories if you are not careful. Look for low cal buns or use light bread and have a patty melt.
  • mirrim666
    Options
    Another vote for ground Ostrich for burgers. Low fat and tons of flavor. I also love grilled pineapple on my burgers.