Why Batman is not a super hero

Options

Replies

• Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    By the true definition he is not a Superhero...really he is just a vigilante. That being said, in a lot of people's eyes he is the true superhero because even without super powers he saves the day! LOL

I am one of those people!
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Just adding a little thought. Even though technically, according to the strict definition, a superhero should possess superhuman powers I think this quote from the novel 'Jasper Jones' makes a pretty good point about Batman.

"See, Batman is different. He’s mortal. He’s got a real life to risk. Superman just has to avoid Kryptonite. Big deal. Superman fears nothing because outside a few very specific circumstances where he might encounter some stupid rock, nothing can possibly do him in. Batman has the same vulnerabilities as the rest of us, so he has the same fears as us. That’s why he is the most courageous: because he can put those aside and fight on regardless. My point is this: the more you have to lose, the braver you are for standing up. That’s why Batman is superior to Superman."

Also, is the Green Lantern also not a superhero because he has no powers without his ring?

That is a nice quote. I am not arguing that Batman couldn't take down Superman; I said that he could (I even said Superman admitted Batman would take him down). However, that does not make Batman a super hero. It just makes him badass. Which Green Lantern are you referring to? I don't recall any of them being heroes. Now that Hal Jordan is Parallax, he is a super villain.

Hal Jordan is not Parallax. Parallax is the living embodiment of fear that merely uses living beings as a host.
    Hal Jordon, Kyle Rayner <Green Lantern> and Barry Allen <Flash #2> have been its hosts. The entity once lived inside of the Green Lantern battery, which is why their powers did not work against the color spectrum yellow because, Parallax, is a yellow fear entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_(comics)
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Parallax_(Barry_Allen)_001.jpg
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Parallax
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Parallax_(New_Earth)

Thanks for the correction :) I'm not a fan of Green Lantern as I stated, and that's why I don't know what's going on with that comic, last I knew Hal Jordan was Parallax. (Don't mean to word it wrong, that's the only way I know how to say it)
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I so much disagree. Batman is super rich and that my friends is super power. Soon he will be fighting the WSO. Pow, Boom, Crunch. hehe
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I so much disagree. Batman is super rich and that my friends is super power. Soon he will be fighting the WSO. Pow, Boom, Crunch. hehe

Lol, I hope this was sarcatic :o
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Lol, I hope this was sarcatic :o

Indeed!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Is he a hero? Yes. Is he a super hero? No. Yes, Batman is one of the most popular heroes of all time; however, as nerdy as I sound right now, it kind of irks me when I hear that he is a superhero. He doesn't have any super powers, nor any super human strength. He learned all of his fighting from martial arts masters. He has a utility belt and bajillions of dollars to support his bipolar"vigilante/heroic" ways.

Well, by that definition then there are quite a few that aren't Super Heroes.
    Batman
    Nightwing
    Green Arrow
    Hawkeye
    Ironman
    Punisher
    Blue Beetle (the original before he got shot in the head)
    Captain America (debatable, he just took a massive dose of steroids and I wouldn't say his strength is super-human)

This doesn't make them bad by any means but I love the topic you brought up. :)

Batman is my favorite and he's friggin' bad-*kitten*. I love how he had a plan to defeat all of the Superhero members of the Justice League and it actually worked (The Watchtower series). That didn't make the group too happy with them either, but Batman didn't need the JLA anyway. LOL

Green Lantern's possession by Parralax was a great series and the whole time crisis was great. I need to start reading again. :)
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Is he a hero? Yes. Is he a super hero? No. Yes, Batman is one of the most popular heroes of all time; however, as nerdy as I sound right now, it kind of irks me when I hear that he is a superhero. He doesn't have any super powers, nor any super human strength. He learned all of his fighting from martial arts masters. He has a utility belt and bajillions of dollars to support his bipolar"vigilante/heroic" ways.

Batman
    Nightwing
    Green Arrow
    Hawkeye
    Ironman
    Punisher
    Captain America (debatable, he just took a massive dose of steroids and I wouldn't say his strength is super-human)

Batman is my favorite and he's friggin' bad-*kitten*. I love how he had a plan to defeat all of the Superhero members of the Justice League and it actually worked (The Watchtower series). That didn't make the group too happy with them either, but Batman didn't need the JLA anyway. LOL

Green Lantern's possession by Parralax was a great series and the whole time crisis was great. I need to start reading again. :)

NOOOOOO,
    I loved you until I got to Iron Man and Captain America.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Captain America is super human. He has super human strength; therefore, he is the epitome of a super hero.

Iron Man arguments: see previous pages, lol.
  • JNick77
    Options

Batman
    Nightwing
    Green Arrow
    Hawkeye
    Ironman
    Punisher

NOOOOOO,
    I loved you until I got to Iron Man and Captain America.

I'm still loveable. ;)

I'm not downplaying either because I especially like Captain America. Cap's abilities just aren't that super-human. He's stronger than most but would still get crushed by somebody like the Hulk. But it's Cap's bravery that really makes him awesome, just like Batman. I love how Cap went toe-to-toe with Ironman and even though he was pretty beat down he kept going.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i consider "iron man" a super hero. tony stark without the armor is not.
  • JNick77
    Options

In my opinion Iron Man / Tony Stark is just Marvel's obnoxious version of Batman / Bruce Wayne.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I say that the deffention of a "super hero is not defined as having "supernatural" powers but rather has super skill which Batman undoubtedly has,

Super man however I would say is not supper AT ALL seeing as how he is completely ordinary in his world, or what was his world

(tehehe how nerdy do I sound lol)
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I'm not downplaying either because I especially like Captain America. Cap's abilities just aren't that super-human. He's stronger than most but would still get crushed by somebody like the Hulk. But it's Cap's bravery that really makes him awesome, just like Batman. I love how Cap went toe-to-toe with Ironman and even though he was pretty beat down he kept going.

Yes, Cap does get crushed by the Hulk... WHO DOESN'T? Wolverine is the exception. Speaking of which, Iron Man messed up Wolverine not too long ago am I right? Made it to where he couldn't regenerate with his Uni-Beam. Cap was injected with a super soldier serum which ... is labeled "super" for a reason. He may not be able to take on Hulk (AGAIN who can?), but he is definitely SUPERhuman.
  • sr823204
    sr823204 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Captain America is super human. He has super human strength; therefore, he is the epitome of a super hero.

Iron Man arguments: see previous pages, lol.

Completely agree about Captain America; definitely a super hero.

Iron Man, not so much.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

I said the same thing. However, Tony Stark is considered super human. How many uni-beams have you shot from your chest lately, EH!? :P
  • JNick77
    Options

Yes, Cap does get crushed by the Hulk... WHO DOESN'T? Wolverine is the exception. Speaking of which, Iron Man messed up Wolverine not too long ago am I right? Made it to where he couldn't regenerate with his Uni-Beam. Cap was injected with a super soldier serum which ... is labeled "super" for a reason. He may not be able to take on Hulk (AGAIN who can?), but he is definitely SUPERhuman.

I believe Thor can take Hulk, no? I stand behind my feelings on Cap. He's bad *kitten* but he got beat-up by a man in a metal suit, not that super.

Unfortunately I'm not up-to-speed and I NEED to get back into it, just been busy so I didn't see Tony Stark takeout Wolverine. Aren't they both on the New Avengers, why are they fighting anyway? Tony is like Batman, human but can find a way to take down just about anybody.

You really like Tony Stark huh? :) He has a highly-advanced prostesis. LOL. Not super. :p
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

I believe Thor can take Hulk, no? I stand behind my feelings on Cap. He's bad *kitten* but he got beat-up by a man in a metal suit, not that super.

Unfortunately I'm not up-to-speed and I NEED to get back into it, just been busy so I didn't see Tony Stark takeout Wolverine. Aren't they both on the New Avengers, why are they fighting anyway? Tony is like Batman, human but can find a way to take down just about anybody.

You really like Tony Stark huh? :) He has a highly-advanced prostesis. LOL. Not super. :p

I can respect that I guess. To me, saying Cap isn't super human, is like saying Bruce Banner isn't super human. I don't remember why they were fighting- they always fight. Lol. Wolverine always kicks everyone's *kitten*, so I didn't expect to see Tony do it. Not to mention, when Tony was all Cyborg and messed Wolverine up (by externally controlling his Iron Man suit with his mind) Yes. I am a huge Marvel fan when it comes to most comics- so I can see why certain people were taken back like "NUH UH HES MY FAVORITE".
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options

I said the same thing. However, Tony Stark is considered super human. How many uni-beams have you shot from your chest lately, EH!? :P

Iron Man/Tony No, anyone can jump in and do the same as him in the suit. Again give me a few billions and I'll create some bad *kitten* stuff, still wouldn't consider it a super hero just a rich dude with tons of time on their hands.
  • JNick77
    Options

I can respect that I guess. To me, saying Cap isn't super human, is like saying Bruce Banner isn't super human. I don't remember why they were fighting- they always fight. Lol. Wolverine always kicks everyone's *kitten*, so I didn't expect to see Tony do it. Not to mention, when Tony was all Cyborg and messed Wolverine up (by externally controlling his Iron Man suit with his mind) Yes. I am a huge Marvel fan when it comes to most comics- so I can see why certain people were taken back like "NUH UH HES MY FAVORITE".

At most Cap is a lower grade of Super Human, physically I mean. Again, love Cap. Tony the cyborg... I so need to start reading again. LOL! Need to checkout ole' Emma Frost and the X-men. :):heart:
  • Indy_Mario
    Options

In my opinion Iron Man / Tony Stark is just Marvel's obnoxious version of Batman / Bruce Wayne.

I think Iron man would beat the crap out of Batman, there, I said it!
    Put them both in an octagon and let them use only their "tool belt" supplies against each-other.