Worst Wedding Proposal EVER

Options

Replies

• Skinny4BG
    Skinny4BG Posts: 145
    Options
    My ex and I had been talking about marriage for a lil while. But I had told him that the one thing I would never do is accept his proposal when he had been drinking.. Cause then I wouldnt know if it was what he really really wanted to do. Well a week later we were laying in bed together and he asked me. (needless to say I didnt know that he had spent the day drinking while I was at work, he hid it pretty well). I told him yes, a million times yes. His immediate reply was a laugh, and "I thought you wouldnt say yes if I was drinking.." I flipped out on him. I couldnt believe that he would do that to me. We ended up not speaking for a week. Slept in the same bed, lived in the same house, but I refused to speak a word to him after that shotty display of a proposal. Turns out... he had a drinking problem, hence the ex part. Would drink WHILE he drove, hid empty beer cans under his car seats and in his trunk. Definitely not the kind of man I wanted to marry. No matter how much I loved him.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ha! We were in the middle of a major argument and he yelled! You won;t Marry Me!!! I yealled back, YOU NEVER ASKED!!

Key word here, argument! Divorced 3 years now, we were togther for 7 married for 2. Apparently in his little mind, marriage = ownership and control.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    mine...I picked him up at work one evening he says, "you wanna get married tomorrow"....I reply "sure why not". We've been married 15 years.
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    HAHA

I was 16, and about 4 months pregnant, he was 17 and in the Army reserves. He JUST got out of basic, called me on the phone and said "Well you know we could get good beneifits if we were married right?" Me: "yes" Him: "Well, you think we should just get married" Me: "Yea I'll talk to my mom"

mwuahah

BOTH of our parents had to sign our marriage license.

Here we are, 5 1/2 years later, 3 children, and he's Active Duty Army <3 best decision of our live, made in the least romantic way.
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    My propoasal was pathetic. My boyfriend looked at me and said "well, what do you think should we get married?" No ring, no knee, no kiss, no nothing. Looking back I should have said "No Way" but I was young and thought I was in love. :brokenheart:

DITTO!! now my ex-husband
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ladies, ladies, ladies... Please.

My husband and I met online.

Online.

Yes, we are nerds.

We'd speak on the phone every day. For hours. And text like crazy. Etc, etc, etc.. We spent a year like this before we actually met face to face. The conversation I'm about to divulge happened shortly before we moved in together. We're on the phone. His mum was in the room. My soon-to-be-hubby is the tender age of 17. Suddenly, he asks.. "Mom wants to know if we're enganged."

"....Well... You haven't asked me."

*slight pause*

"Will you-"

"YOU ARE NOT ASKING ME OVER THE PHONE. WITH NO RING."

He bought a ring. We moved in together on his 18th birthday (Two days after Christmas.. I was 19). The ring was my belated Christmas present. Wrapped with a little bow. :)

my husband and I met online too...in fact everyone around my age that I know that is married/commited relationship met online
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    :grumble: im still waiting..it"ll be 11 yrs on feb 25th

wow...11 years? You haven't b!tched enough

lol that cracked me up!
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my husband and I met online too...in fact everyone around my age that I know that is married/commited relationship met online

My hubby and I feel that you develop a much healthier relationship if you're forced to keep the physical aspect at bay for awhile. We had fuller discussions and were able to talk about our future plans without sex getting in the way. We've been together 6 1/2 years now, and I couldn't imagine being with anyone else.
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    Anyone have any stories about the worst wedding proposal??? Heres mine!!!

Went to a local bar with my soon-to-be-fiance and two of his male friends. It was right after 9/11 and he told me that the local post office had an anthrax scare, and he wanted me to have some Levaquin (the anti-anthrax drug). He handed me a vile while his friends (who knew about it) watched. I opened it, and my diamond engagement ring was in there. He didn't even get on his friggin knee.
    He swears hes going to make it up to me.... but I doubt it.

So he does something cute and innovative, and you're mad because he didn't get on his knee?
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My proposal was bad... but the marriage has been great so I can't complain... much (and complaints are really meant to pick on him).

He had no money at the time and had ruined his credit. I was still in college. We had talked about getting married so I knew he would propose eventually. He bought the ring while I was with him because he needed me to get the credit to buy it (and btw I don't like diamonds so it was less then $200 because I wanted a sapphire ring so we aren't talking something extravagant)

Then one day he got out it out in his bedroom/our bedroom I was on a working internship from college at the time near home so I was living with him most of the time) and asked me right there.

Not the worst on here but he still could have done much better... I told him that too. I mean if it took him a few months from buying the ring to asking I assumed he was planning something.

I'm a bit jealous on this now just because someone at both our jobs got engaged last week, one in Ireland and one while hiking in Arizona.

I would LOVE if my husband did a redo on the proposal, but if not at least I still got the great guy!
  • Skinny4BG
    Skinny4BG Posts: 145
    Options
    Ladies, ladies, ladies... Please.

My husband and I met online.

Online.

Yes, we are nerds.

We'd speak on the phone every day. For hours. And text like crazy. Etc, etc, etc.. We spent a year like this before we actually met face to face. The conversation I'm about to divulge happened shortly before we moved in together. We're on the phone. His mum was in the room. My soon-to-be-hubby is the tender age of 17. Suddenly, he asks.. "Mom wants to know if we're enganged."

"....Well... You haven't asked me."

*slight pause*

"Will you-"

"YOU ARE NOT ASKING ME OVER THE PHONE. WITH NO RING."

He bought a ring. We moved in together on his 18th birthday (Two days after Christmas.. I was 19). The ring was my belated Christmas present. Wrapped with a little bow. :)

My boyfriend that I am dating right now, we actually met online. Have yet to meet eachother in person yet. He is supposed to be coming out here to see me within the next month or two. Nothing wrong with online dating. And One of my biggest reasons for the change is so when he comes out, he says... DAMN! LOL!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Mu husband got into the habit of proposing to me while drunk after we had been dating steadily for about 6 months (off and on for about a year total). The first time was while we were at te NYE party at the apt of a friend-of-a-friend. He was so drunk that I had to help him to the bathroom, and he proceeded to propose while peeing all over the toilet. Then he tried to sleep standing up against the wall in the bathroom.

Needless to say....didn't count. I got my real proposal about 2 years later, at the beach on one of the darkest nights of the year. I was so afraid that I was going to knock the ring out of his hand and never find it again.....
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband proposed like this, "So I cancelled my health insurance. I guess we should get married." No ring or anything. It turned out to be a good thing since he lost his job a month after the wedding, but his lack of insurance isn't my problem anymore. :yawn:
  • SophieB74656
    Options

My hubby and I feel that you develop a much healthier relationship if you're forced to keep the physical aspect at bay for awhile. We had fuller discussions and were able to talk about our future plans without sex getting in the way. We've been together 6 1/2 years now, and I couldn't imagine being with anyone else.

I don't know about being forced not to be physical.but for us having talked online for so long first (we would often instant message until like 6am) that when we finaly met in person we already knew each other. When we met for the first time it was like meeting an old friend, someone I was already so comfortable with. Basically we were married that day we met in person the actual wedding was just a formality
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My propoasal was pathetic. My boyfriend looked at me and said "well, what do you think should we get married?" No ring, no knee, no kiss, no nothing. Looking back I should have said "No Way" but I was young and thought I was in love. :brokenheart:

DITTO!! now my ex-husband

I see a pattern developing here! My ex-husband and I went out for lunch on New Year's day, after going to a fancy dress party the night before. I had a streaming cold and a rash on my forehead from the Queen Amidala mask (don't ask). A little kid was running around, he (my ex, not the kid) said "we could have one of those". My look of horror spoke volumes. He then said "well, how about we get married then." We lasted 18 months....
  • SophieB74656
    Options
    My proposal was bad... but the marriage has been great so I can't complain... much (and complaints are really meant to pick on him).

He had no money at the time and had ruined his credit. I was still in college. We had talked about getting married so I knew he would propose eventually. He bought the ring while I was with him because he needed me to get the credit to buy it (and btw I don't like diamonds so it was less then $200 because I wanted a sapphire ring so we aren't talking something extravagant)

Then one day he got out it out in his bedroom/our bedroom I was on a working internship from college at the time near home so I was living with him most of the time) and asked me right there.

Not the worst on here but he still could have done much better... I told him that too. I mean if it took him a few months from buying the ring to asking I assumed he was planning something.

I'm a bit jealous on this now just because someone at both our jobs got engaged last week, one in Ireland and one while hiking in Arizona.

I would LOVE if my husband did a redo on the proposal, but if not at least I still got the great guy!

my husband and I talked about a redo once...for one thing we were both just out of college, not making much money so my ring is quite innexpensive. he's talked about how now that we have good jobs and are making good money that a redo with a nice ring would be nice
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    That made me laugh only because Im sure he thought it was gonna ROCK!

Ditto

He was trying to be a little creative, give him credit for that. Men aren't women, they are men, they don't think like us. Mine didn't do the knee thing either he walked me into the jewelry store and said which one would you like:wink: We've been married 13 or 15 years I never can remember and are as happy as ever. I didn't need engagement drama or wedding drama, so now I don't have marriage drama:wink:
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you guys feel that you proposals were bad, i would just say different. I fell down a flight of stairs on my 1st day of work and when I finally hit bottom all sprawled out on the floor and this guy came up to me and asked me if I wanted to go dancing with him. Really? I said no 2 months later we were living together and on the 4th month we were on our way to the SS Office and in the car he said you wanna get married? I said lets go back and I'll get a white blouse and a camera went to Vegas $35 for license both rings together were $62, which I paid for. $30 for service. Never regretted a moment of it we were married for 23 years 2 wonderful now adult children. He has now since passes and Id do it all again. He never bought me flowers he always picked them. So we were married in jeans. What a wonderful day!

Beautiful Love!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd get myself in trouble if I discussed my husband's proposal to me in too much detail, so I'll just leave it at, he proposed in a bed, in a cheap hotel room. There was a ring.
  • Stacie088
    Options
    LOL!!!!!!!