No, "it" isn't an open invitation for you to ....

Options

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    After I tell you I am married and don't have children, it is NOT OK for you to:

1) Ask why I don't have kids

2) Ask when I plan on having kids

3) Tell me that you're sure I'll change my mind (I'm 40, have been married 15 years and my husband has had a vasectomy - we're pretty darn sure that babies are not for us!)

4) Tell me you think it's 'weird' for a woman not to want children

Seriously... everyone from family to acquaintances to people I just randomly meet seems to think my fertility and child-bearing prospects are suitable for casual conversation. Everyone also seems to feel entitled to an opinion. Drives me nuts!
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Yes I have boobs and don't live in turtle necks because they make me look fat so....

Yes 'it' is cleavage but no it doesn't give you an excuse to stare, point, touch, or talk to it!

YES!!!!

Awww - that made me sad!
  • Mythel
    Mythel Posts: 72
    Options
    "what does it MMMEEEAAAANNNN?" Oh good lord. Shut the hell up. I LIKE it, okay? I'm not an episode of LA Ink where everything has to have a freaking deep meaning to it.

^^^^^^ THIS!!!

I have two very visible tattoos...one on each forearm, an om and a labyrinth. It is not my job to explain to you what these symbols mean (that's the job of the internet! ha!), or what they mean to me, or why I got them as opposed to something else.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    ya I suppose, having one arm causes a few ....disruptions?

kids, their parents...

a dog sees me and thinks nothing of it, but let a human see you missing a limb and you might as well be a lizard person from some far away galaxy eating human babies.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Maybe you are so amazing people just want to talk to you!
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    wow, to the original poster...

do you think people are creepy if they compliment you on your tattoos?

im generally an outspoken person and enjoy being social.. your post makes me never want to say anything nice to someone again about their awesome artwork.

thanks for that. :(

When did I say someone complimenting them was unwanted?
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

3) Tell me that you're sure I'll change my mind (I'm 40, have been married 15 years and my husband has had a vasectomy - we're pretty darn sure that babies are not for us!)

4) Tell me you think it's 'weird' for a woman not to want children

Seriously... everyone from family to acquaintances to people I just randomly meet seems to think my fertility and child-bearing prospects are suitable for casual conversation. Everyone also seems to feel entitled to an opinion. Drives me nuts!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X A MILLION
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I walk with a cane-- this is not an open invitation for you to

1. Open our conversation with "what's wrong with your leg?" or just "what's wrong with you?" I actually have just started answering with "Nothing, what's wrong with you?" It's one thing if you know me, but from strangers it's like going up to someone with a huge zit and asking what's wrong with their face.

2. Give me medical advice-- I have a doctor for that, thanks.

3. Tell me about how if I a.) ate all raw b.) went gluten free c.) drank, cooked, and bathed with only distilled water d.) cut out carbs or e.) ate a bunch of gin-soaked prunes I would immediately feel better and have no more symptoms. Believe me, if any of that stuff worked, I wouldn't have the cane.

4. Lecture me about the medications I take. Again, I have a doctor for that.

ETA one more: 5. Tell me that I'm "too young" to have joint problems. Ummm tell that to my joints!

And I totally agree with the pregnancy/parenting advice one. I am dreading the part of being pregnant where I have to tell people to please not touch me. :P
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a son with Down syndrome. It does not mean you should talk above him, around him, or under him. Talk TO him. Trust me. He understands. And when he answers you in sign language, I'll translate.
  • Mythel
    Mythel Posts: 72
    Options
    wow, to the original poster...

do you think people are creepy if they compliment you on your tattoos?

im generally an outspoken person and enjoy being social.. your post makes me never want to say anything nice to someone again about their awesome artwork.

thanks for that. :(

I'm not the OP but...I don't think it's wrong to have someone compliment my tattoos but I don't feel I have to give you the "deep meaning" of them or defend my choice in having them. There is a big difference between a compliment and prying or being judgmental.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just have something about me that some people think my purpose on this planet is to solve all their life's problems and mysteries. Apparently, I am Google, Dear Abby and WebMD in one. If I got a dollar every time someone asked me a question, I wouldn't need to find a job! :laugh:
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    People giving me parenting advice. I have 4 kids, been there done that, got the t-shirt. I don't need your opinion on poop, breastfeeding, formula feeding, puke, food, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, making my own food, spanking, discipline or anything else kid related. I will raise my kids the best way I know how and do what I feel is best for them. If you don't like it, TOUGH!!!

I get this. A LOT. I don't even have children yet.

When people find out I have been with hubby for nearly seven years, living with him a month less than I have been with him and married for over three years they instantly want to know why I haven't got children yet. It's not my fault we dont' have children (technically it is me that has the problems though), I am working on having them and frankly it's none of your business. And just because I am having problems, that does not mean you have the right to tell me to "relax and it will happen" or "you need to stop stressing because it won't happen" or "only those who believe in God are blessed with children, maybe you should start thinking about religion and taking it seriously" - Erm, no thanks, get lost before I hit you very hard ad enjoy watching your nose break, or "are you doing it right?" - Are you freaking kidding me with that one?!?!?

N.B. I'm not a violent person. Usually.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My "it" is kickboxing. People find out I train and prove that there is such a thing as a stupid question....

No, I have not ever fought in the UFC.
    No, I do not train with your son's favorite fighter.
    No, I'm not going to beat you up during a meeting.
    No, I can't do flips and disappear in a puff of smoke like in the ninja movies.
    No, it doesn't feel good when you get punched, even with the big gloves and headgear.
    No, I don't know that school that you attended when you lived in a different state six years ago.
    No, I haven't killed anyone in the ring like Ivan Drago / Dolph Lundgren.
    No, I can't knock out a bear (yes, someone actually asked me this).
    No, I will not train your little brother in my basement.
    No, I can't show you enough is the next fifteen seconds to make bullies leave you alone.
    Yes, it's freakin' hard. If it was easy, you'd be there too.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids, and often drag others around with me as well. I ALWAYS get

~Are they all yours?
    ~Do you own a tv?
    ~Don't you know what causes that?
    ~ Do you want/will you have more?
    ~Well, *I* could never have that many kids! (Nobody asked you to.)
    ~I could *never* stay home with my kids. They drive me crazy. (They'd probably drive me crazy too. Luckily I stay home with mine, not yours.)

When i'm pregnant people seem to think they can just walk up and touch my belly. It doesn't matter if they know me or not, apparently pregnant bellies are public domain.

When my babies were little I had more than one strange person come up to me and smell my baby. Yes, SMELL my baby. I always used to wash them in Johnson's Baby Wash. Random stranger would take a deep sniff of their teeny heads and say "oooohhhh I love the way babies smell!"

It was kind of nice to see people loving on my babies, but a little weird when they were people I didn't know.

Lol, my wife and I used to get all those questions. Less now that my kids are older. Now we get " it must be nice to go out without the kids" whenever we bump into anyone we know.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I wear vibram five fingers shoes to run in.

No "it's" not permission to give me every opinion you have of them as far as safety, looks, or function, or why you'd never wear them.
    So true! Love my vibrams.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

3) Tell me that you're sure I'll change my mind 4) Tell me you think it's 'weird' for a woman not to want children

THIS!

I had one friend ask who would take care of me when I was old if I didn't have children to do it. Do people really have kids for that reason??
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    Yes, I'm an attorney and no I will not fix your speeding ticket or help you incorporate your cupcake busines or get your cousin out of jail..........unless you pay me.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I just have something about me that some people think my purpose on this planet is to solve all their life's problems and mysteries. Apparently, I am Google, Dear Abby and WebMD in one. If I got a dollar every time someone asked me a question, I wouldn't need to find a job! :laugh:
    So... you just need to start charging.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ad OP, c'mon... no one goes full-sleeves unless they enjoy being on display.

If your tattoos weren't intended to differentiate and distinguish you from the herd, they'd be someplace concealable like mine are.
  • mlybrn
    mlybrn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have my nose and lip pierced, and I have had customers at work commenting on them. Usually they're older people who don't 'approve' of facial piercings, but that's no excuse to comment on them.

The best one was when an older man said to me "You're beautiful but why on earth would you put that thing in your face?"

???