You're SO's Parents (aka in-laws)

Replies

• Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    I despise my husband mother and step-father...sent my two daughters down there for the summer and since coming back neither want to even TALK to them...tells ya something. And they have consistently ignored my daughter (not my husband's child) even though he has accepted her from the moment we met.

Now I adore my husband's father and step-mother, they are great.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    I get the feeling that not seeing your in-laws regularly helps the getting along part. lol.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    I like my fiance's parents. Well, I love his mother. She likes me :P Sometimes she aggravates the piss out of me, but what mother doesn't?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    I am not my in-laws.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    I love them. They drive me nucking futs sometimes though.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    love! they're cool!
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 673 Member
    My boyfriend's father passed away on Halloween last year [2011], and his mom is a b-itch, who left her son when he was 16 years old to care for an elderly man with Alzheimer's and a rebellious 12 year old boy.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    My partner's are both deceased. They were abusive alcoholics and didnt approve of her being gay, so chances are they would have never liked me. Now my parents treat my partner like another daughter and one of my other sisters is also gay and they treat her partner the same way. They know we love each other and are happy. As long as we are happy, they are happy. So now instead of 4 daughters, they say they have 6.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Mine live 14 hours away. We get along famously. :laugh: Seriously, though, even if we lived closer, I think we'd get along just fine. :smile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I really like my mother-in-law and step-father-in-law. My own mother had an accident before we had children and was severely brain damaged and in a home. My mother-in-law came and stayed with use after the birth of each of our children to help out, just like she did with her own daughters.

Step-mother-in-law and father-in-law, not so much. After we had 2 girls they asked if we could have my husband tested to see if he could have a son. They had 15 other grandchildren, 8 of which were boys, but no boys bearing the family name. When we finally had the boy I REALLY wanted Jeremy to lie to them and them that it was another girl. They came and saw the boy as a new baby but never did for the girls.
  • awoodwaring
    awoodwaring Posts: 90 Member
    I banned my mil from my property. That woman did not know/respect anyone's boundaries.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Love them ... amazing folks ...
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    My in-laws are amazing people. I'm lucky to have them, and they adore me, so that doesn't hurt! I can't wait until they move back to Oregon this coming summer!

Edit: My SIL is one of my best friends and my BIL is a good guy, too. I got really lucky in the in-law department.
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    My husband and I haven't spoken to his parents in over ten years. We just did not get along.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Hmmm, let's just say that I'm open to them growing on me. Wondering if/when that might happen. I was married in November and so I haven't known mine for very long now. I have been around them a handful of times.

Five years ago, I'd have a nice tidy little smartass answer... but, I'm trying to let myself grow up a bit. And this is one of those questions I might need to sleep on... like, for a while :)
  • My boyfriend's biological father is a total weirdo. I know he used to be a heavy drug user. I have never met him because he and my boyfriend are kind of estranged and he lives away, but he always used to post really nonsensical things on my Facebook. He went on a (nonsensical, crazy) homophobic rant on one of my statuses about gay marriage, so that was the final straw and I deleted him. Boyfriend's mother is always very nice to me the few times I have met her. I've never met his step-dad but from what I can tell he's a jerk.

Luckily he and my dad are kind of buds and he and my mom get along, too.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 646 Member
    . And to top things off she lives across the street....YAY for me:)

See quote above from other poster...The above is why we bought our first house- need I say more? It was so bad we bought a whole house to get away...we were living in the same apt complex...our marriage almost ended, it was that bad, it was move or get divorced/ Some people just are not happy and have to share that with everyone. OK I am not saying anymore HA
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    My father-in-law passed away a week ago and, while he wasn't perfect, he was a decent man and I will miss him.
  • rachaelh84
    rachaelh84 Posts: 45 Member
    I love my hubs parents, even though I think that they spoil and enable their adult children entirely too much. I guess I could say I am slowly weaning my hubs away from them :)

That. Only I don't think I have a prayer of weaning, because they live 20 mins away.
  • My fiance's parents are great, most of the time.
    I can have really long conversations with his Dad, but his Mom has said some unsavory things about me in the past because we don't see eye-to-eye about marriage and religion. She's afraid for my soul, and I'm not. Haha. To put it bluntly.
    But otherwise, we all get along. =)