You're SO's Parents (aka in-laws)

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    They're very nice people. A little small town with the typical small town conservative mindset, but they're nice people. They've been really accepting and nice to me as well, so I'm thankful for that.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I love my in laws, they are such amazing people.
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    I love my mother-in-law. I'm more like a third daughter than a DIL. I wish I could have met my FIL but he passed away several years before I met DH.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    I love my in-laws. I do find my brother in law to be the little brother I never wanted. He is annoying but I still love him.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Let's just say that we live 1900 miles away from them for a reason. That reason isn't that I don't like snow. :)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    I have never met my husband's mother, she passed away 2 weeks before I met him. Crazy thing is...she told him he was going to marry a girl with blond hair and blue eyes. He told her that wasn't his type. And we met 2 weeks later....

I've never met his bio father. He only came back into his life about 2-3 years ago.

His stepdad - I love him! He's a sweetheart. We just don't see him all that often.

My SIL is..well...she keeps life interesting to say the least. :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    my boyfriends parents are seperated and remaried. i cant say i like any of them. his dad has been in prison and is just a generaly messed up guy. his mom is very... to the point. his step dad seriously IGNORES him every time he is in the room. they have some long time "agreement" based on an argument they had years ago to never talk again i guess... i feel like when i talk they dont listen to me at all. its mindless stranger small talk. we have been together over 3 years.....

my parents would litteraly do anything for my boyfriend. they talk they fly planes together they buy each other thoughtfull xmas presents. we go out to eat and end up staying for 4 hrs talking about the past and stories and such. they got a car loan for us and helped us move 100 miles away (over 30 driving trips and a uhaul rental). for xmas my mom bought him a videogame he wanted so badly, and he didnt even tell her he wanted it! i got socks from his family that dont fit.. for the 3rd year in a row. its hugs good bye without any awkward feeling. i cant even have one conversation with my boyfriends family without feeling left out of some loop. thankfully he has two amazing sisters. and they treat me like family. this makes family events a lot less awkward haha. i even lived with him and his sister for over half a year. gotta say, someone picked up those apples and through them miles away from the tree.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    I love my inlaws. They are completely 'real' and down to earth, fun to hang with, and they are amazing grandparents. My husband jokes that they like me better than they like him. LOL! The only problem is that my MIL 'jokes' about us having more kids, and that's just....NO!
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Never me the FIL, but the MIL and I get along 5/7 days a week. Shes' nice but due to being on meds for her heart and back she's kookier than she used to be sometimes, and sometimes that can be a very arduous thing to deal with.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    OMG! Don't even get me started! I have the mother in law that they made all the jokes about! Controlling and evil! She is constantly comparing my kids to their cousins and mine do not measure up (in her opinion only!) My house is never clean enough and she will make little comments to my husband (if his collar isn't 100% straight) about my ironing skills! She always has comments about my appearance and weight and god forbid....we buy something new....because we never hear the end of my overspending and greed! (again, her opinion!) My father in law would be an awesome guy, if we could get him away from her! My husband has absolutely had it with her, and pretty much cut off contact with her, he does talk to his dad everyday, but we have all given up on her!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Love them, they are amazing people! I find them to be very inspiring and I look up to them. They also respect our boundaries very well.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Love them, they are amazing people! I find them to be very inspiring and I look up to them. They also respect our boundaries very well.

Mine are also very good about respecting boundaries, and have had a weekly date night with my kids (first one, then both, still both) for over 12 years. Since our oldest was a baby. They did a good job raising their kids, I'm happy to have them helping with ours.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    I am very fortunate mine are wonderful, FIL can be annoying but could certainly be a lot worse. Good thing I like 'em cuz they live next door lol
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 162 Member
    Apparently my husband's parents don't like who he is with until after they break up/divorce, and then they like them. So they have never liked me (we've been together almost 12 years, married 10). His sister doesn't like me either, which is fine, since the feeling is more than mutual (this is a person that once told me the best thing to do before you go in to deliver your kid is smoke a joint.....I'm totally serious here). His brother is annoying and has his own list of problems, but I can tolerate him. We don't interact much with any of them, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    I LOVE my mother-in-law! She's like my best friend since I moved out here! I also love my step-father in law. But my father-in-law...I can't stand him. He's pretentious and has no filter. he says what he wants without thinking about the consequences. He actually called me fat on numerous occasions (and other people, including strangers) and told me to stop eating once when I was PREGNANT. Soooo, that's why he's divorced, why my hubby doesn't really talk to him, and why I pity him.

BUT, my hubby's step-father is a teddy bear! =)
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    I :heart: mine... they are amazing... I am seriously Lucky to have them.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    My inlaws are Mexican and do not speak English...I don't speak Spanish, so there isn't much of a relationship there. They live in Mexico and we live in Indiana, so we only see them when they come here for a few months every couple of years. His dad does funny things and his mom does nothing but clean my house and cook when she's here, so I have no complaints. We hit a rough patch a few years ago and his parents told him to straighten up because he has a good thing, so it's all good!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    I love mine. They're bat **** crazy, though. I mean completely bat**** crazy.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    My parents-in-law are wonderful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Do you love or loathe your signifant other's parents?

I happen to love mine.

Errr..I mean his.
    Put it this way: my MIL lived with us for 6 months while my wife was on bedrest during pregnancy. I LOVED IT. But for some reasons many of the people at my former job kept saying "gosh that must have been trying" or "I bet that was a nightmare".
    Both my DW and I get along well with both sides when it comes to in laws and if they needed to stay with us, they are MORE THAN WELCOME.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition