Worst negative comment about your weight?

Options

Replies

• LuluC13
    LuluC13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's funny how we can remember the negative comments people make about us, especially as children and how they stay with us for years.

One boy that I knew in middle school and high school was just really argumentative and everyone found him annoying, so occasionally I would make a witty comment that would shut him up. At least two times he must have felt so insecure by something I said about his immature behavior that he just said "Well I'm glad everyone finds the whale funny!" A few people sitting by him kind of groaned and muttered "Not cool, man.." or "Too far.." but everyone else would just stayed dead quiet.

Once in 5th grade, during a group project we were discussing ideas for a poster in History class. Every time I was trying to get the group to be productive, one of the girls kept making snide comments about me under her breath, which the three other people kept laughing at. I finally asked her if she had a problem with me or getting the project done. Her claws came out and she called me a "fugly, fat little know-it-all". I left that group, got an A on the project and she helped the group earn a D on the assignment and each member had to re-do it indivdually :)

My family has never said anthing negative about my weight though when I was younger, I felt like it would have helped me live a healthier life if they made small steps towards helping me lose weight.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    My dad (go figure was the source of most of the mean comments I got...)

If anyone has seen How I Met Your Mother my dad and little brother think I act and look like Robin. When I was 189 they use to say oh you look so much like Robin or oh you remind me of her... but my dad would come in and say "If you lost more weight you'd be prettier like her".

WTF? You're my dad!!! You shouldn't say that to your little girl...

But he also thinks Robin is fat (yeh, now that's stupid...) He thinks skinny is 0% body fat because his wife is emaciated looking. She's like 80-90 pounds o_o
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    You are just not attractive to me....

When I was 260+ pounds - my wife...:sad:
    As hard as that was to take, in the end, I am glad she was honest.
    How many people fear bruising egos or hurting feelings?

"No dear, you look fine to me no matter how fat you are"

I think I'd rather somebody just be honest.

There's being honest & there's being brutal... A lot of these are people being brutal.

For me, one of the nastiest ones was from a 7year old, who was pushing for a reaction and made some comment about me being rounder than other people. I think I could have taken the comment from an adult as I probably would have come back with one of my favourite lines ("I might be fat, but at least I can lose weight, you'll still be stuck with that personality"), but what do you say to a 7 year old?
    I've also had the comments relayed by family members (as with some of the other posters, not actually said to my face) "how does your sister cope with being so fat when you're so skinny" - one of my aunts to my sister. Variations on that theme as she's always been skinnier than me.

Ah, people can just be mean. It's difficult to let go of it though, so kudo's to all those people that are managing to turn the negatives into positive motivation :)
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Never heard any comments about me being over- weight, (probably because I wasn't fat until I was an adult) but now what gets me....is along with the positive comments about me losing weight, i have friends saying "you've lost enough...why do you want to lose more?...you're going to be anorexic....
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My mom has made comments like "You're so pretty to be so fat." she has said in a "Joking" manner but it still stings. Then my husband use to nit pick what I ate and be like "You think you really need to eat that?" and then once we got in a huge heated fight and he called me a lazy fat *kitten*. Little did he know that I have naturally a low energy, lack of b12. I can eat plenty of food that give it off but I still need a shot or 2 a week of b12 plus I take 3500 mg a day of it. If I take the b12 by 8 am by 3 I'm dragging again. So I try to take it at 11 so I can last all day.

My son use to make comment that hurt my feelings, asking me why I was fat. Now he tells me I'm skinny and he likes it. Kids are just honest.

When I was 10 I was a fat kid, I slimmed up a lot during 11-12 yrs of age. But I remember sitting down at the dinner table and my brothers and parents making earth quake sounds and shaking their chairs. Yup that one I think hurt the worse. However I ended up going from a fat kid to average. I'm really surprised I did not have an eating disorder, well I did it was just eating to much and eating crap.
  • ajschuske
    ajschuske Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    in kindergarten, the teacher asked everyone in the class to point out the tallest, shortest, oldest, youngest, thinnest, fattest. guess who they all pointed at for fattest? 30 years later and this still upsets me that a teacher could be so cruel.

several years ago on Halloween, i answered the door for trick or treat kids. first words out of the kid's mouth were 'wow, you're fat!'. My response, "and your parents are raising a rude little jerk who won't get any candy from me" and I slammed the door.

last year, while shopping for shoes, a kid in a stroller says loudly to her mom, 'look how fat she is mom'. so I said loudly to my friend, 'look how poorly the kid in the stroller is being raised'.

some of my comments back to these ignorant clods may be uncalled for and two wrongs don't make a right, but sometimes i just don't care.

best comment ever:
    several years ago, while walking up the drive way to a friend's house, I ran in to his sister and her 3 year old daughter as they were leaving. The little girl shyly hid behind her (quite ample) mom and just looked up at her said 'mom, she is sooooo pretty'. love that little girl :)
  • Dizzy_Dale33
    Options
    In the summer, I wore a skirt and was called Tree Trunk Legs, this stuck with me for years :-(
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    "She has such a beautiful face" I hate that one!
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was cycling around downtown Houston one weekend by myself. It's not very crowded on weekends at all, and I stopped at a light and what looked to be a homeless man walked across the street in front of me said, "You tryin to lose weight? You need to be tryin to lose weight!." (I was like !@#$@ you *kitten*)

You should've said, "you trying to find a job? You should be trying to find a job!"

My old man neighbor asked me once if I was trying to lose weight since I was running all the time. I told him I was actually training for a half marathon. He shut up pretty quickly!
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hugs to the OP and all responders! Copying my responses from similiar posts:

I walked into a store that sold regular sizes (I was about a size 28W then). I wasn't interested in the clothes, but I felt like treating myself to something that smelled nice. The male clerk mumbled loud enough for me to hear, "You know d@mn well ..." I went home and got some Bath & Body Works from eBay.

When I was 15, my mom said I had the body of an old woman. This was the 80s when plus sizes weren't so cute or as available. I had a lot of items custom made at this stage of my life.

I had an ex puff out his cheeks at me and oink ... we hadn't spent much time together that summer (his choice) and I had put some weight on. This was 19 years ago and his eyes would pop out of his head if he saw me now.

People who haven't seen me in a while (family out of town, people I don't work with anymore) always exclaim when they see me, "You lost a LOT of weight!" (I did -- 170 lbs) This always leaves me wondering what kind of impression I left on people before (and what they said outside of my presence!).

I am still trying to get back to my lowest weight, and my dad, one of the few people left alive to witness my transformation, keeps saying I'm big-boned and should forget about getting to goal (even though I was in a national magazine for doing just that).

Sometimes after you lose the weight people still aren't satisfied ... Three years ago (about five lbs from goal) I went to see some family members for the first time since I started losing weight. They called me beautiful to my face, but I found out recently that they held some type of caucus once I went home and agreed that I didn't look well, to put it mildly.

Everybody keep fighting the good fight! :drinker: :grouphug:
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am reading this topic and my heart just aches. The people who are supposed to love us unconditionally are the ones who say the worst things. Do they honestly feel that by making nasty comments it will encourage us to lose weight? What heavy people need to realize (me included) there are more of us than there are of them. :happy:
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

My husband said this to me as well. It's soul crushing.
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am reading this topic and my heart just aches. The people who are supposed to love us unconditionally are the ones who say the worst things. Do they honestly feel that by making nasty comments it will encourage us to lose weight? What heavy people need to realize (me included) there are more of us than there are of them. :happy:

People just wanna be cruel. I think they say these things because they don't like themselves and picking on other people makes them feel better about themselves, its exhilirating for them. Definately sick people.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    my mom's mother when I stayed a few months with her while parents did all the moving 12 hours and finding jobs ect. Dont recall exact words just general comments about my weight(I was 8 btw) my hair, my smell and how loud I breathed. I actually changed my breathing pattern because of her. Never plan on seeing her again in my life.
    People at school, strangers and such they dont matter- but family is supposed to treat you like family not like an unwanted intruder.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, when I was in 10th grade, I was over a friends house after school and we were on the phone with these 2 guys that were our friends...my friend gave me the phone to talk and I over hear one of the guys say "here, YOU talk to Fatty Allie". I hung up on them, but didn't tell them or her that I heard that. I cried in her bathroom.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe the things some people think it's ok to say. As my mom said, you just don't make comments on people's appearance, period. It doesn't seem that hard to me. You can compliment someone's sense of style, but just stay away from talking about people's appearance, too few people can do it in a complimentary way...
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

My husband said this to me as well. It's soul crushing.
    True!
    I thought of just leaving, then realized that it was true. I was in lah lah land thinking I was carrying it well.
    The second blow was a picture somebody took where I looked horribly fat.
    Anyway, I used that pain to lose the weight.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My grandfather told me that I couldn't get in the car because I'd break it. It wasn't meant to carry such heavy loads. He also told me, when he saw me drinking water, that that was the reason I looked like a blimp. Because I was so full of water.

I wasn't even that big, then!
  • vacamama
    vacamama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Your belly is sticking out more then your boobs (I am very busty and that was in grade 8) *kitten*.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    someone called me 'tommy hill figer' because of my big tummy