Curves vs. Skinny

Options
One of my biggest factors in my weight loss/physical wellness journey is... which is more attractive and appealing- a full, curvy voluptious body- or a skinny, thin, little, light and tiny body?
I've had both, at my lowest I've been 100 lbs and at my highest I've been 135 lbs. I'm five feet and eight inches tall. So I've been rail thin bones and right now I'm back to being fully equiped with curves.
But I'm not sure which one I want to aspire to have more, the skinny girl bones or the full curves, besides the fact of being healthy either ways! I just want to be wanted and desired and beautiful but while the media says that skinnyskinnyskinny is the way to go and then some outputs say that curves and being fuller is the way to go! I look at photos of me at my lowest and highest weight and I look good both ways I think, but I don't know which way I want to go, right now I'm definately trying to get back to being skinnier, but any thoughts on this?? It confuses me and makes me frustrated, which way I want to keep my body. I just want to be wanted :/

Replies

• blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you remember feeling sexier with curves or being very skinny? I know the feeling of wanting to be wanted. I'm aiming for slim, muscular, with curves but I think both body types can be so sexy! I finally learned that ultimately, it's the way you carry yourself. I know bodacious women who seem ( and are!) more beautiful than a lot of models in magazines because they carry themselves beautifully. You are what you believe yourself to be! I'm sure you will look beautiful at both sizes, do what feels right for you and is healthier :smile:
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm the curviest but I've got some fullness going on. While I am activley trying to lose I actually do get a little sad when I lose from my bust or booty instead of tummy or hips. I love being able to fill out a top and round out a cocktail dress. I peronsally think that rail skinny girls look just like that...girls. Women are meant to look like women!
  • shelliedanielle
    Options
    I really think having curves is alot better, it has more of a shape, you know like an hour glass. Just being skinny isnt that attractive in my opinion lol.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i have curves and woul dlike to keep em, it gives a womanly look. skin n bones are for 12 year olds lol
  • JoAsh2
    JoAsh2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe you would feel comfortable to be kind of in the middle, say around 118. Being too skinny is not that attractive in my opinion and with you height I would think even at 135 you still look slender, just more shapely.
  • Alex_on_the_Rocks
    Options
    I think it's however your body is MEANT to be... I've got friends that look amazing skinny! I know that I'M not meant to be skinny, I'm meant to have curves (proven by the fact that I'm losing weight, yet am looking at going UP a cup size).

You need to be comfortable in your own skin. THAT is sexy.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    bahaha... this is a 2 way answer. When I was curvy I would say" oh curves is far better, I don't want to be too skinny" now that I'm skinnier, I would never want to go curvy again (unless I'm pregnant of course" i'm 5'5 and125 and find myself getting where I wanna be, my hubby loves me better like I am now! so it all depends on how you feel about yourself!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer hourglass (or coke bottle) shapes. I think Kim Kardashian looks great. I do not like visible ribcages, I think that is too skinny. My goal isn't skinny at all, I want to lok like an hourglass with defined arms and legs. I have absolutely no aspirations for a six-pack. But Michelle Obama arms, definitely. I love muscular legs, and well I am naturally predisposed to getting them so I might as well go with it instead of hoping for skinny legs: that's not going to happen.

But I think there is a big misconception about curvy. Some people are curvy when they are slimmer and curvy when they are bigger. It basically means a defined waist, but and hips that are visibly different. Sarah Jessica Parker is skinny and also curvy. Christina Hendricks is cuvy, but bigger than SJP. Kim Kardashian is curvy at all sizes. Serena Williams is curvy, but her sister isn't. J.Lo and Beyonce are also curvy. There is a range in "curvy" skinny curvy, medium curvy, large curvy and extra large curvy.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest factors in my weight loss/physical wellness journey is... which is more attractive and appealing- a full, curvy voluptious body- or a skinny, thin, little, light and tiny body?
    I've had both, at my lowest I've been 100 lbs and at my highest I've been 135 lbs. I'm five feet and eight inches tall. So I've been rail thin bones and right now I'm back to being fully equiped with curves.
    But I'm not sure which one I want to aspire to have more, the skinny girl bones or the full curves, besides the fact of being healthy either ways! I just want to be wanted and desired and beautiful but while the media says that skinnyskinnyskinny is the way to go and then some outputs say that curves and being fuller is the way to go! I look at photos of me at my lowest and highest weight and I look good both ways I think, but I don't know which way I want to go, right now I'm definately trying to get back to being skinnier, but any thoughts on this?? It confuses me and makes me frustrated, which way I want to keep my body. I just want to be wanted :/

You are really tall. You could be a lot heavier with muscle and curves. Once you get closer to your goal, work on the strength training. I know loads of people at 5'8" who look amazing at 170 (more muscles, less body fat).
  • SeptemberHalloween
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the feed back everybody c: It really means a whole lot to me. When I first ever decided I was going to lose weight, I was motivated by a community online where eating was concerned with "the skinny girl diet," "the russian gymnist diet," diets where in a day one would consume 600 calories or less and girls would label themselves "pro-anorexic" and the thing to look like is skin and bones, that being my first look at weight loss, its what I inspired to look like at first, and all the rave was the bonier you look the more people will want to be with you and be your friend and the more successful you'll look and feel and be. My ideas on weight loss are absoultely far from that and I honestly wish the girls on that site who carry those views don't hurt themselves, its just a shame :c And so, even though I don't think like that anymore, sometimes.... its hard to shake that idea completely off my mind after thats what I was aiming for at first, its sort of embarrasing.
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    According to the site tools bmi calculator 135 is a healthy weight and 100 is underweight. Have you thought about eating to maintain but doing some light weights to give a little muscle definition? A lot of people recomend the shred...
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I dunno but glimpsing into your diary I don't think you're eating enough :\

I would say curves over skinny personally but it's however you feel best, it's your body, you don't want to have a body just to be wanted, kind of like how believe you can't love someone else if you don't love yourself first :) They should want to be with you for who you are not just how you look :\ I know that's not always how it works tho
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    don't be embarassed girl....when i was your age, i had a journal of 'thinspiration' pictures..we all go through that feeling at one point or another (or at least some of us!!)

i personally think curvy is wonderful and that's what i'm aiming for...but it really does depend on your body shape, build, bone structure and all that good stuff. and of course, how you feel comfortable :)
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    don't be embarassed girl....when i was your age, i had a journal of 'thinspiration' pictures..we all go through that feeling at one point or another (or at least some of us!!)

I totally agree. My ideas of what my "perfect body" are have changed so much in the past few years (I'm 23). As soon as you get of of those teenage years and get a chance to interact with MEN instead of boys, you realize that they are pretty much programmed to love a nice full hour glass figure. Actually, on that note, I would be really interested to hear what some of the guys have to say...
  • danikat11
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the feed back everybody c: It really means a whole lot to me. When I first ever decided I was going to lose weight, I was motivated by a community online where eating was concerned with "the skinny girl diet," "the russian gymnist diet," diets where in a day one would consume 600 calories or less and girls would label themselves "pro-anorexic" and the thing to look like is skin and bones, that being my first look at weight loss, its what I inspired to look like at first, and all the rave was the bonier you look the more people will want to be with you and be your friend and the more successful you'll look and feel and be. My ideas on weight loss are absoultely far from that and I honestly wish the girls on that site who carry those views don't hurt themselves, its just a shame :c And so, even though I don't think like that anymore, sometimes.... its hard to shake that idea completely off my mind after thats what I was aiming for at first, its sort of embarrasing.

I'm glad you dont think that way anymore. Healthy is what you should aim for. I think 100 pounds is way to skinny for your height. Maybe consult a doctor and go with what they say.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think it's however your body is MEANT to be... I've got friends that look amazing skinny! I know that I'M not meant to be skinny, I'm meant to have curves (proven by the fact that I'm losing weight, yet am looking at going UP a cup size).

You need to be comfortable in your own skin. THAT is sexy.

I think this is true. You can't fight nature. Not everyone has an hourglass shape to begin with. Some are lanky always, some are apples and gain only in the belly, some just hips but not the bust... Not everyone can even be curvy. So saying that curvy is better or "real women have curves" is not fair to those that can't attain curves. I don't think it's nice to knock people who are naturally very thin either. I don't agree with the media or people forcing that image on people as the symbol of attractiveness when not everyone can achieve it, but some people are underweight and can't gain weight. That can be as traumatic for them as those of us who look at a cookie and gain. I think your "happy weight" is a weight where you are healthy and you can maintain that figure without having to kill yourself. To go down or up 5-10 lbs is a choice of whether you like to be fuller or not but you have to work with what you got. Curvy is relative to the beholder.
  • Jaimookie83
    Options
    I love my curves. My main goal is to tone up.

p.s. each woman has her own beauty whether she is slim or curvy. Embrace it :)
  • SeptemberHalloween
    Options

I totally agree. My ideas of what my "perfect body" are have changed so much in the past few years (I'm 23). As soon as you get of of those teenage years and get a chance to interact with MEN instead of boys, you realize that they are pretty much programmed to love a nice full hour glass figure. Actually, on that note, I would be really interested to hear what some of the guys have to say...

Me too, I want to hear the guy's opinion on this one, all I know is from what I've heard, guys like a super skinny chick, but I'm 18, I feel like such a kid, augh!! Ladies, thank you sooooo much for all the things you've said, this is like therapy for me, I mean it, thank you so much, each and every one of you
  • southofmadness
    southofmadness Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Personally I prefer a woman that has curves. Women have curves.. You at 5’8’’ and 135 lbs. puts your BMI about 20 (about right) . .. your goal of 115 might be a bit low…100 WAS to low! (IMHO)
    Don’t get me wrong.. I have seen attractive woman that were very thin. But The answer lies within you. If you feed your body the right amount of fuel and stay healthy, then your body will take care of the rest. Many naturally thin women look beautiful and healthy. However, women who are not naturally thin (the thinness is forced) do not look healthy, they look sick. I find that very unattractive (personally).
  • extremewinner
    extremewinner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that research has shown that men are biologically more attracted to women with an hour glass shape.. something to do with the bigger hips and birthing babies. LOL So from an evolutionary perspective,go curves!