You know you're a fitness nut when...

Options
OK so after almost 2 years in my new lifestyle, I've finally come to the realization that I am a fitness nut. And not only me, but the wife as well.

this is how I knew I was a fitness nut:
My wife's birthday is sunday. After thinking about things to give her. I kept coming back to a heavy bag in the basement (it's our workout area). Not only did I bypass jewlery and dinner out...etc, I was as excited as she will be cuz I never had my own heavy bag before (I asked her if she would like that, she was like "HELL YEAH I would like it!").
Not very romantic, I know, but we've been married long enough now that I want to get her stuff she will use and enjoy, rather then stuff that just looks pretty.

So, what was your "OMG, I'm a fitness nut!" moment.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK so after almost 2 years in my new lifestyle, I've finally come to the realization that I am a fitness nut. And not only me, but the wife as well.

this is how I knew I was a fitness nut:
    My wife's birthday is sunday. After thinking about things to give her. I kept coming back to a heavy bag in the basement (it's our workout area). Not only did I bypass jewlery and dinner out...etc, I was as excited as she will be cuz I never had my own heavy bag before (I asked her if she would like that, she was like "HELL YEAH I would like it!").
    Not very romantic, I know, but we've been married long enough now that I want to get her stuff she will use and enjoy, rather then stuff that just looks pretty.

So, what was your "OMG, I'm a fitness nut!" moment.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Realizing a few months ago that in a year, I hadn't purchased any new clothes. . .except for work out clothes.

Having someone sit in my tv/sofa area and say "man, you have a lot of workout stuff in here." (yoga mats, stability ball, dumbells, workout dvds, etc.)

Being jealous of you and your wife because I have no room in my place for a heavy bag. :tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Realizing a few months ago that in a year, I hadn't purchased any new clothes. . .except for work out clothes.

Having someone sit in my tv/sofa area and say "man, you have a lot of workout stuff in here." (yoga mats, stability ball, dumbells, workout dvds, etc.)

Being jealous of you and your wife because I have no room in my place for a heavy bag. :tongue:

HA! tell ya what lady, we'll let you come over any time and join us, but you have to help us tile the 250 sq. foot floor and insulate the walls and ceiling. On the up side, there's a lot of heavy lifting involved, so it's a good workout (12 count 1sq foot ceramic tiles and 6 foot sheet rock is heavy!)

But just think of the up side, wife being a body pump instructor, she gets all the cool new bodypump dvd's before they go public, which is kinda neat (although I never do them right now cuz I'm lazy and wwe only have 1 set of body pump equipment at the moment).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am going to get back to some cycling and ride to work and back and I have an old Diamond Back mountain bike in the garage....

my dog goes everywhere with me so I need to get a bike trailer like they use for kids...the bike is worth about $50 I figure and the trailer costs about $130..

..I told a friend what I was doing and he said I am too obsessed with this whole exercise thing,,,,I dont care..he is fat
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    my "You Know You're A Fitness Nut" when I actually started going to the gym and went on a diet. Going on 4 months strong, this is a milestone. That and I have an actual official gym bag, not a plastic walmart sack. haha

No really though, I don't really consider myself to be a fitness nut. I mean, makes it sound like we're all fanatical or something. Gym Jihadists? I don't see working out 4-5 times a week and eating good, yummy healthy food as being "nutty" rather more of a positive lifestyle change. I used to not give a crap about what I ate. Or going to the gym. Staying fit just came natural for awhile being young and in the army. Now that I'm going on 32 in May.... I just don't wanna be that guy who's 50, with high cholesterol, one-step away from a heart-attack, beer-gut and THEN trying to make some drastic change.

I dunno, thats just me with 35-40 lbs to go!!
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That is so cute!!! I think it is great when you give one another those type of gifts, my husband and I do too!!! Tell her happy birthday!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

p.s. I had fenway fudge ice cream the other, ever had it with the little chocolate socks? Hubby LOVED it of course being a sox fanatic! :wink:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I love the support you guys have for each other. For my anniversary last year, my husband bought me a gift certificate to a sports store to buy some high quality exercise shoes instead of the $25 Target shoes I had been wearing. I couldn't have been happier. It was just what I needed, without even thinking of it for myself. Thank goodness my anniversary is in a couple of weeks. My shoes are wearing out.

Also, for our just us vacation last year, we went out west and found as many mountains and hills to hike. Up until last year, I was anything but an outside person. Now, everywhere we go, I look around for places to explore and hike. It's so much fun!
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You know you are a fitness nut when you are asked to make a gift list and 90% of the items on it are health or fitness related!!!

My hubby wanted some gift ideas all I had listed was exercise clothing, gloves, weights, HRM . . .

I think getting your wife something that will give both of you something to do together - and keep her healthy so therefore in your life a lot longer - is very romantic in a different type of way.

I personally would love it (if I had the room, which I don't:grumble: )
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Lol, my favorite Xmas gift was a Polar F6 from Santa (my hubby!).

I'm jealous of the bag!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When on vacation you workout 7 out of 13 days...:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I have a bright pink heavy bag set up in my bedroom :blushing:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Ha! I have ya beat there, I went to Jamaica in Feb and worked out 6 days out of 7. 4 days in the gym, 2 just running (in 85 degree weather, it was great) and 1 day when I did both 5 miles running and 1/2 hour of weight training (don't ask me why, I think I was feeling guilty over drinking too much the night before)
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options

Yeah, when I go on vacation now, I make sure I either have a fitness room in the hotel, or I have my ipod and running shoes. My friends think I am nuts, but I LIKE to workout, and being on vacation means you get to do what you LIKE to do!
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a fitness nut, but I am starting to enjoy this new lifestyle.

My husband is in Iraq and had issues with ordering me a presnet for Valentine's Day. I told him it was ok and all I really wanted was a heart rate monitor. So that's what I bought! I love it.

I also have been hitting the gym Monday through Friday once the kiddos go to school. I sub in the school sometimes. I worked on Wednesday and all I kept thinking was that I would so rather be at the gym.

I've had several ah-ha moments when junkie foods don't even taste good anymore or worse yet, make me feel physically ill. I rarely eat crap because it's not worth it.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I don't consider myself a fitness nut, but I am starting to enjoy this new lifestyle.

My husband is in Iraq and had issues with ordering me a presnet for Valentine's Day. I told him it was ok and all I really wanted was a heart rate monitor. So that's what I bought! I love it.

I also have been hitting the gym Monday through Friday once the kiddos go to school. I sub in the school sometimes. I worked on Wednesday and all I kept thinking was that I would so rather be at the gym.

I've had several ah-ha moments when junkie foods don't even taste good anymore or worse yet, make me feel physically ill. I rarely eat crap because it's not worth it.

what branch of the service is your husband in? Hows the deployment treatin you? Have you guys been thru this before?
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options

what branch of the service is your husband in? Hows the deployment treatin you? Have you guys been thru this before?

Hubby is AF, deployments stink no matter what (but we're hanging in there), I'm ready for it to be OVER and yes, 3rd one in 3 years. I have lost 40 pounds since he left so I'm dying for him to come home and see the new me!
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Aww I bet he will be all over you when he gets back! I sense another baby coming ;) 40lbs is a HUGE accomplishment WTG!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    ...you have more athletic shoes than street shoes.
    ...you buy more athletic clothes than street clothes
    ...your bike cost more than ...it should
    ...you decide that running in the rain sounds like fun

Guilty of all the above.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The only thing I ask for is fitness equipment/ gear for holidays.

For our anniversary last year, my hubby bought me a road bike. (the year before was a Garmin for running)

For Valentine's Day, I got a heart rate monitor (last year I got a kettlebell. :bigsmile: ).

Forget jewelry and flowers, give me something I can use. :love:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    For my birthday this year I used the $ my father-in-law gave me to buy: good hrm and a Bosu! I gave P90X to myself!!LOL:laugh: I'll be bringing the DVDs on vacation next week!!!:bigsmile:

Love my heavy bag!!!:heart: -- They make them in pink???:huh: