4 whole eggs?

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    deleted due to MFP being unable to display spaces and so confusing the figures.

This posting was information regarding the goodness in whites and yolks.

LInk - copy and paste into browser:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-White-Vs-Egg-Yolk-Which-Better-364527
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat two (sometimes three) boiled eggs for breakfast every weekday, followed by a small portion of fruit. If I also drink a litre of water throughout the morning I am satisfied until I have a bowl of soup around 2pm. I'm sure I will eventually get bored of eating the same thing every morning but it's working for me right now so I'm happy with it.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this is a topic very misunderstood. Did you know that it all started when it was a suggestion that eggs might be bad for your cholesterol and it was published in a medical journal without any scientific fact? It's since been debunked, since they now understand how the body converts cholesterol and it's your body creates the cholesterol - it doesn't take every morsel of food cholesterol from an egg. In saying that, I'm not a medical doctor but more of an egg enthusiast. I remember reading that they once tested a man who had a compulsive eating disorder to eat like a dozen or more eggs a day. Hoping that they'd prove that eggs were bad for your body by studying him, he ended up showing no signs of malnutrition or heart disease. I think you can find that article if you google it. He was 80 something years old.

Your best bet is to consult a nutritionist rather than your doctor. I hate to say it, but most doctors don't keep up on that area but nutritionists should have a better understanding.. since it is there job to!
  • sweebs00
    sweebs00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol are completely seperate things

go nuts on eggs!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this is a topic very misunderstood. Did you know that it all started when it was a suggestion that eggs might be bad for your cholesterol and it was published in a medical journal without any scientific fact? It's since been debunked, since they now understand how the body converts cholesterol and it's your body creates the cholesterol - it doesn't take every morsel of food cholesterol from an egg. In saying that, I'm not a medical doctor but more of an egg enthusiast. I remember reading that they once tested a man who had a compulsive eating disorder to eat like a dozen or more eggs a day. Hoping that they'd prove that eggs were bad for your body by studying him, he ended up showing no signs of malnutrition or heart disease. I think you can find that article if you google it. He was 80 something years old.

Your best bet is to consult a nutritionist rather than your doctor. I hate to say it, but most doctors don't keep up on that area but nutritionists should have a better understanding.. since it is there job to!

Hell, that reminds me of the movie Cool Hand Luke, when he had to eat 50 hard boiled eggs in one hour for a bet or something :noway:
  • Cgalit
    Cgalit Posts: 13
    Options
    I think one of the main elements of a successful long term diet is to incorporate a variety of foods in each meal. 4 eggs for breakfast every day sound pretty dull to me. Are you willing to do that for the rest of your life to maintain your weight loss?

I enjoy it-I add tomato or have a piece of wheat bread with it. I figure when I get sick of it, I'll change it. As of right now-I actually look forward to it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Hard to take his sugar fear mongering too seriously when he posts garbage like this

So if I eat my adequate fat and protein, does that mean I can also fill in my diet with fecal matter?

Nice strawman, do you also beleive that glycogen can only be stored in the liver or as fat?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Hard to take his sugar fear mongering too seriously when he posts garbage like this

So if I eat my adequate fat and protein, does that mean I can also fill in my diet with fecal matter?

Nice strawman, do you also beleive that glycogen can only be stored in the liver or as fat?

Yeah good one. I was obviously joking. So is there anything that is actually bad for us?

Of course I don't believe that about glycogen. Just because one supposed expert gets one detail wrong, doesn't mean the entire theory gets thrown out the window.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yeah good one. I was obviously joking. So is there anything that is actually bad for us?

Of course I don't believe that about glycogen. Just because one supposed expert gets one detail wrong, doesn't mean the entire theory gets thrown out the window.

As far as food stuffs go, i'd prob stay away or try and minimize the amount of synthetic trans fats i was taking in

He simply made something up to further support his argument, so as i said it's hard to take him serious when he did something like that
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    THE BODY HAS ONLY TWO PLACES IT CAN STORE EXCESS SUGAR: THE LIVER, AS GLYCOGEN, OR AS FAT

LOL.

As Acj67 already pointed out, the body can store excess sugar as muscle glycogen as well.

So sugar can:

1. Be used for energy
    2. Be stored as muscle glycogen
    3. Be stored as liver glycogen.

If there is still excess sugar, then and only then will it be converted to adipose tissue through DNL.

Now, how many ways can dietary fat be used, again?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    So much bro science.
  • brett1117
    Options
    try 4eggs while using 1 yok for flavor...I eat 2-4egg white omlettes a day
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Too much insulin circulating in the bloodstream and intracellular tissues creates inflammation. Inflammation is now being implicated as the cause of numerous health problems including heart disease, arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and atherosclerosis (clogged arteries). Inflammation is a cellular reaction to an excess of insulin. The real cause of the problem is the excess consumption of refined carbohydrates.

http://www.drtindall.org/Sugar - Refined Carbs.htm

THE BODY HAS ONLY TWO PLACES IT CAN STORE EXCESS SUGAR: THE LIVER, AS GLYCOGEN, OR AS FAT

Yes, that’s right. The unused sugar is stored as fat and the hormone that does this is insulin, and the pancreas always releases insulin when one eats carbohydrates/sugar. Therefore, if you are not very physically active when you eat refined carbohydrates, you will store any excess as fat. Additionally, the consumption of refined carbohydrates, by definition, means you are not obtaining adequate minerals to maintain normal cellular functions especially those associated with sugar metabolism and management.

It is not fear mongering when it is the truth...............

I guess you would call my Endocrinologist a fear mongerer too. He says the same thing and is one of the TOP Metabolic Endocrinologists in the United States.

So what about skeletal muscle glycogen stores? they don't exist in your endo's fantasy world either?

I am assuming he is saying this because if the muscle glycogen is already full, then there are only 2 other places to store glycogen. The liver or store as fat.

The liver can only store about 100 g of glucose in the form of glycogen. The muscles also store glycogen. Muscles can store approximately 500 g of glycogen. Because of the limited storage areas, any carbohydrates that are consumed beyond the storage capacity are converted to and stored as fat. There is practically no limit on how many calories the body can store as fat.

REFERENCES
    "Pocket Atlas of Nutrition"; Hans Konrad Biesalski, Peter Grimm; 2005
    Mayo Clinic: Healthy Diet: End the Guesswork
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    The liver can only store about 100 g of glucose in the form of glycogen. The muscles also store glycogen. Muscles can store approximately 500 g of glycogen. Because of the limited storage areas, any carbohydrates that are consumed beyond the storage capacity are converted to and stored as fat. There is practically no limit on how many calories the body can store as fat.

Thus the body can store 2400 calories of sugar before resorting to DNL.

Why does this make sugar so bad, and fat so good?
  • grinch031
    Options

Thus the body can store 2400 calories of sugar before resorting to DNL.

Why does this make sugar so bad, and fat so good?

It doesn't. This is why the article says sugar is bad.
    The utilization of this sugar is managed by insulin, which is secreted by the pancreas. Insulin is only released when sugar is present in the digestive tract and only in its presence will sugar be stored as fat. Therefore, if we eat more refined carbohydrates than we can immediately use, the excess is stored as fat. If we increase sugar/carbohydrate intake insulin levels increase. Too much insulin circulating in the bloodstream and intracellular tissues creates inflammation. Inflammation is now being implicated as the cause of numerous health problems including heart disease, arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and atherosclerosis (clogged arteries). Inflammation is a cellular reaction to an excess of insulin. The real cause of the problem is the excess consumption of refined carbohydrates.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    The author displays a fundamental misunderstanding of insulin.
    Insulin is only released when sugar is present in the digestive tract

False; Protein is insulinogenic.

and only in its presence will sugar be stored as fat.

And?

Therefore, if we eat more refined carbohydrates than we can immediately use, the excess is stored as fat.

False. It will first be stored as liver and/or muscle glycogen.

Misleading: Excess sugar will lead to fat storage, so will excess fat, and (indirectly) protein.

If we increase sugar/carbohydrate intake insulin levels increase. Too much insulin circulating in the bloodstream and intracellular tissues creates inflammation. Inflammation is now being implicated as the cause of numerous health problems including heart disease, arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and atherosclerosis (clogged arteries). Inflammation is a cellular reaction to an excess of insulin. The real cause of the problem is the excess consumption of refined carbohydrates.

Acute elevations =/= chronic elevation.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If your blood cholesterol is in a good range, I would not worry about it. :smile:

I agree with this ^^ Dietary cholesterol doesn't have much affect on blood cholesterol for most people. But for others it can raise it significantly. If you are eating 4 eggs every day you should monitor your blood cholesterol.
  • grinch031
    Options
    The author displays a fundamental misunderstanding of insulin.
    Insulin is only released when sugar is present in the digestive tract

False; Protein is insulinogenic.

and only in its presence will sugar be stored as fat.

And?

Therefore, if we eat more refined carbohydrates than we can immediately use, the excess is stored as fat.

False. It will first be stored as liver and/or muscle glycogen.

Misleading: Excess sugar will lead to fat storage, so will excess fat, and (indirectly) protein.

If we increase sugar/carbohydrate intake insulin levels increase. Too much insulin circulating in the bloodstream and intracellular tissues creates inflammation. Inflammation is now being implicated as the cause of numerous health problems including heart disease, arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and atherosclerosis (clogged arteries). Inflammation is a cellular reaction to an excess of insulin. The real cause of the problem is the excess consumption of refined carbohydrates.

Acute elevations =/= chronic elevation.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Is it common for people to overeat protein despite its level of satiety? Does protein cause the same insulin response in an insulin resistant individual as carbohydrates?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Is it common for people to overeat protein despite its level of satiety?

I love how you keep carefully trying to construct cases to support your claims, and then try to apply them to the whole.

Nobody is going to eat 100% protein (or any macro for that matter). So can protein lead to a caloric excess? Sure it can.

If someone has already consumed the number of calories needed for maintenance, then add a chicken breast on top of that then the addition of protein has led to caloric excess, get it?

Does protein cause the same insulin response in an insulin resistant individual as carbohydrates?

Why do you think insulin resistance is specific to a single macronutrient?