4 whole eggs?

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    And most importantly, Taubes' hypothesis can reconcile my own experiences

Today's word is "Confirmation Bias". Can you say "Confirmation Bias"?

I bet you can.

So if I take YOUR word for it, its valid, but if I disagree with you, its confirmation bias?

No. It's confirmation bias because you automatically dismiss anything the refutes your pet theory.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    My grandpa used to eat several eggs per day until he had 2 heart attacks and the doctors told him that it's going to kill his heart (and him along with it).

So it depends on your cholesterol levels I think. A diet like that can be pretty hard on the blood vessels etc. Check with your doctor.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I bet you can.

So if I take YOUR word for it, its valid, but if I disagree with you, its confirmation bias?

No. It's confirmation bias because you automatically dismiss anything the refutes your pet theory.

So what is the right theory?
  • DianeTemplar
    Options
    It's giving you a ton of cholesterol every day. Why not do 1 or 2 eggs and the rest egg whites? I actually really like them, and depending on the brand you buy, are just as good as regular scrambled eggs. My cholesterol is high, so i would never do 4 eggs per day. Maybe ask your doc?

Me too. My strict advise is ask your doctor. I personally do not eat the yokes either...and I always add onion powder - cuz it adds such a good flavor to them. Good luck.
  • DianeTemplar
    Options

I bet you can.

So what is the right theory?
    [/quote

a theory is not right or wrong....it is merely an Idea that has not been proven or disproven.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Secondly most people may not be aware, but cholesterol is one of the main building blocks of testosterone, not taking in enough dietary cholesterol may inhibit your full potential production, and I'm sure no man wants that to happen.

This is unlikely to be true. Your body can synthesize cholesterol. If you have fat in your diet, even if you don't eat cholesterol at all, you will have plenty of cholesterol to synthesize testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, and all other cholesterol-based hormones.

Just throwing that out there :D It's not that important to the discussion...
  • LabRat529
    Options
    a theory is not right or wrong....it is merely an Idea that has not been proven or disproven.

A hypothesis is an idea that has not been proven or disproved. Theories usually have some solid evidence backing them up... they are called 'theory' and not 'fact' because... well... it's pretty hard to prove something 100%.

Take home message: There is usually one or two competing theories that are more "right" than all the rest.

The carbs cause insulin resistance hypothesis is... not solidly supported. It's a pretty archaic hypothesis, to be honest... a has-been... come and gone in the world of science.

The insulin causes insulin resistance hypothesis is... er... I don't know... in my opinion, it's not that well supported either. You kinda get into this chicken or egg thing with insulin and insulin resistant. Did you become insulin resistant because your insulin levels were high? Or did your insulin levels shoot through the roof because you are insulin resistant and your body is trying to ram-rod that damned glucose into the cells where it's supposed to be? :grumble:

Anyhow... carry on.
  • grinch031
    Options

A hypothesis is an idea that has not been proven or disproved. Theories usually have some solid evidence backing them up... they are called 'theory' and not 'fact' because... well... it's pretty hard to prove something 100%.

Take home message: There is usually one or two competing theories that are more "right" than all the rest.

The carbs cause insulin resistance hypothesis is... not solidly supported. It's a pretty archaic hypothesis, to be honest... a has-been... come and gone in the world of science.

The insulin causes insulin resistance hypothesis is... er... I don't know... in my opinion, it's not that well supported either. You kinda get into this chicken or egg thing with insulin and insulin resistant. Did you become insulin resistant because your insulin levels were high? Or did your insulin levels shoot through the roof because you are insulin resistant and your body is trying to ram-rod that damned glucose into the cells where it's supposed to be? :grumble:

Anyhow... carry on.

The lipid hypothesis was the general consensus for decades even though it is deeply flawed. How does what you're saying prove or disprove anything about the insulin hypothesis?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It would be wonderful if we could pin the tail on insulin as the cause of Insulin Resistance, but alas it isn't.

How can you be so sure?

Perhaps because there is evidence to suggest that high-carb diets improve insulin sensitivity while very low carb diets impair it.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=insulin+resistance

Go tell that to a whole community on Facebook that have experienced otherwise. Me included. (We are talking about 1800+ people that have noted improvement on insulin sensitivity by adhering to a controlled carb lifestyle void of starches, grains and other high carb foods)

A high carb diet is going to do nothing to improve insulin sensitivity. It will merely cause a person that has insulin resistance to become a full blown diabetic.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    It would be wonderful if we could pin the tail on insulin as the cause of Insulin Resistance, but alas it isn't.

How can you be so sure?

Perhaps because there is evidence to suggest that high-carb diets improve insulin sensitivity while very low carb diets impair it.

Go tell that to a whole community on Facebook that have experienced otherwise. Me included.

A high carb diet is going to do nothing to improve insulin sensitivity. It will merely cause a person that has insulin resistance to become a full blown diabetic.
    Funny how the twinkie guy became more insulin sensitive eating all them damn carbs......oh, yeah, he was losing weight when he was eating those damn carbs. it's sooooo confusing isn't it. j/k
  • grinch031
    Options

How can you be so sure?

Go tell that to a whole community on Facebook that have experienced otherwise. Me included.

Funny how the twinkie guy became more insulin sensitive eating all them damn carbs......oh, yeah, he was losing weight when he was eating those damn carbs. it's sooooo confusing isn't it. j/k

He was losing weight because he created a caloric deficit. Anybody can temporarily create a caloric deficit.
  • neanderthin
    Options

How can you be so sure?

He was losing weight because he created a caloric deficit. Anybody can temporarily create a caloric deficit.

Are you agreeing a person can eat a boat load of carbs and become insulin sensitive? Probably not if you believe the carb hypothesis ? Just thought i'd ask, considering your line of reasoning.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    not taking in enough dietary cholesterol may inhibit your full potential production, and I'm sure no man wants that to happen.

um, there are some men out there that might not want kids!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

How can you be so sure?

According to JAMA research............
    Insulin Resistance Syndrome, also known as Metabolic Syndrome, greatly increases the risk for cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death today. Insulin resistance is characterized by high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar levels, abnormal blood lipid levels, along with abdominal obesity according to a JAMA report on December 1, 2002. Research shows that men with metabolic syndrome were 3 to 4 times more likely to die of coronary heart disease than healthy men. Insulin resistance happens over time as people lose their sensitivity to insulin, which is largely due to the addition of sugar and refined carbohydrates in the typical American diet.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Funny how this whole conversation started from the question "should I eat 4 eggs a day":laugh:
  • neanderthin
    Options

How can you be so sure?

According to JAMA research............
    Insulin Resistance Syndrome, also known as Metabolic Syndrome, greatly increases the risk for cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death today. Insulin resistance is characterized by high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar levels, abnormal blood lipid levels, along with abdominal obesity according to a JAMA report on December 1, 2002. Research shows that men with metabolic syndrome were 3 to 4 times more likely to die of coronary heart disease than healthy men. Insulin resistance happens over time as people lose their sensitivity to insulin, which is largely due to the addition of sugar and refined carbohydrates in the typical American diet.
    First of all Insulin resistance isn't also known as metabolic syndrome as your source implies. It's a condition found with people that have metabolic syndrome which is causes mostly by overconsumption (obesity). Also you never answered my question, but created a strawman arguement, which is what normally happens when head is firmly planted in the sand.
  • fitnoflab
    Options
  • LabRat529
    Options
    The lipid hypothesis was the general consensus for decades even though it is deeply flawed. How does what you're saying prove or disprove anything about the insulin hypothesis?

It doesn't. I wasn't trying to prove or disprove the insulin hypothesis. I was instead pointing out what is to me an obvious flaw in the hypothesis that has not been adequately addressed. Insulin and insulin resistance are linked. One can claim that out-of-control insulin levels cause insulin resistance. Alternatively, one can claim that insulin resistance causes out-of-control insulin levels. It is difficult to separate the two. Experimentally, you can only measure the outcome, the endpoint, the final product: onset of diabetes. You can demonstrate correlation in humans. You can draw inferences from that correlation. You can re-create conditions in animal models and find more correlations and occasionally demonstrate cause and effect. But that's it.

So... what I was offering to you was another, logical, rational way to think about the information you've been provided. I suppose I'm hoping you might sit back, take a good look at the data, and realize that Dr. What's-his-name is offering only one of many possibly true hypotheses. There are other valid interpretations of the data. And there is other data that you're simply ignoring.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Go tell that to a whole community on Facebook that have experienced otherwise. Me included. (We are talking about 1800+ people that have noted improvement on insulin sensitivity by adhering to a controlled carb lifestyle void of starches, grains and other high carb foods)

This is not proof. This is not science. This is faith. This is testimony. This is hope. It is not science.

For centuries, WAY more than 1800+ people believed that bleedings could remove the excess humors from your blood. That wasn't science either.

I am not saying its bad to control carbs. Actually, I try carb control to some extent (I am by no means low carb... but I'm eating a lot less carbs than I used to). All I'm doing is pointing out: You just can't use testimonials as science.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Eggs are perfectly fine foods, real eggs, not egg beaters kinda stuff. Faulty research came out and gave eggs a bad rap and there is no harm in eating them, even on a daily base since most cholesterol is produced inside our bodies. Also, yolks contain healthy vitamins and the good omega 3 fatty acids that prevent heart disease. If you can look for pasture fed or free range chicken eggs, if you can't find that, organic.