What motivated you to begin your weighloss journey?

Options

Replies

• ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    I am 53 years old and the doctor told me that my blood count numbers were going up in the wrong direction for diabeties, cholesterol, etc. Knew I needed to do something years ago, and decided this was finally the time for me.
  • teresab46970
    teresab46970 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The fact that for six years I was down graded, laughed at, treated like dirt. And I believed it and I let myself go. Then on New Years Eve, I decided it was going to be the year for me. So I packed that dirt bags crap up, kicked his low life *kitten* out and began changing me and I feel like a million dollers. I am worth more than that !!!!!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a couple of things:
    1 - When I went to my Dad's funeral, all everyone commented on was "how fat I had gotten!". Then they mentioned about my Dad's passing.
    2- The man I love left me after 15 years of dating to marry someone else after 2 months of dating. His reason was basically her size compared to mine.

That put things into perspective!!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I want to date again.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    AL:L OF THE ABOVE....
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Seeing old pictures of me as a cheerleader in high school....and finding an old pair of size 8 Abercrombie jeans that I am hell bent on fitting back into! I'll never admit it to my family, but my stepbrother is getting married June 30th, and I cannot stand my future SIL's sisters, who are in the wedding......and well frankly I want to be the smallest one at the wedding purely to boost my ego (they think they are better/hotter than everyone else)....sadly it won't take much for me to beat them. It sounds petty, and it is....but I frankly don't care. They just rub me(and my family) the wrong way.

Please post the pics or let everyone know how the wedding goes...my sisters-in-law are great, but my older sister is always saying how I'm "bigger" than she is, or "This is too big for me, would you like to wear it?" It's tiresome. I hope to lose a lot of weight before I see her and some other people again (she lives several states away).
  • ozziegurl
    Options
    looking at old photos of myself, but mainly wanting to change ME..

I spent last year looking after my 6 year old son who was diagnosed with cancer, and didnt take care of myself. Then when he passed away in October last year, I went on a food binge, and gained 13kg (I had previously lost 10kg) and so am extremely disappointed in my self for doing that.

I WANT to be here fit and healthy for my other son, and any future children that my husband and I have. LAST year was spent looking after my son's health and other issues, THIS year is all about getting myself back on track.
  • westcoaster09
    Options
    I got started because my class is having a "biggest loser" challenge and I WANNA WIN! but now that I've got started its because I wanna feel good about myself, not be embarrassed to take pictures of me and the bf, be healthy, and wear a bikini!
  • cloud2011
    Options
    Simply, I just want to feel like myself again. I'm starting to...but as someone else said, I'm tired of the self-loathing. I finally woke up one day to the idea that there are billions of people on Earth, and no one dislikes me more than I do!

Time to start treating myself better, and I'm not talking about materialistic things, although I think that can be part of it. I mean the self-talk, the silent put-downs and comparisons (in my head) and worst of all, the opportunities I don't take, because I'm too fat.
  • cloud2011
    Options
    looking at old photos of myself, but mainly wanting to change ME..

I spent last year looking after my son who was diagnosed with cancer, and didnt take care of myself. Then when he passed away in October last year, I went on a food binge, and gained 13kg (I had previously lost 10kg) and so am extremely disappointed in my self for doing that.

I WANT to be here fit and healthy for my other son, and any future children that my husband and I have. LAST year was spent looking after my son's health and other issues, THIS year is all about getting myself back on track.

Oh my goodness. I'm very sorry for your loss. And, please don't be disappointed in yourself for how you coped with your grief.

Sending you {{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.

I think it's great that you are taking good care of yourself now.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My heart attack two years ago motivated me to eat more healthily. I used to be embarrassed...now I openly share with everyone how NOT to get into that situation. Statistics say that one who suffers a heart attack will get another one in five years...and I already became a statistic...and didn't want to be in the 2nd group. I went on a 30 Sugar Free Challenge on Dec 20, 2011...and survived. My daughter has given me two wonderful grandchildren, and it is they who I want to see grow into young adult hood. I am giving my self 30 more good and healthy years. I don't have long life genes in my family, but my husband does...and I want to gracefully grow older together. Thanks for asking...

13985887.png
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The motivation for my weight loss journey was poor health. Heart attack and open heart surgery at the age of 44. Then there's diabetes that was totally out of control. I had to lose wt. or I was going to die. I've worked hard these past 5 months.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Needed to get into shape..my mother nor my father lived to be 60 and I have an 8 year old that I want to see grow up...
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Christmas Pictures last year! Couldn't believe I looked like that! I really hated myself and decided I am the only one that can control my body and really that is the only thing I can control!
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Going jean shopping. I've dreaded shopping for jeans for about a year now, but a couple months ago was the last straw. I absolutely hated my body and even more I hated being reminded that my body wasn't ideal by my own brother and mother. What pushed me even more was meeting the love of my life.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Because, quite frankly, all that fat was hiding my awesomeness underneath. My outside didn't match up with my inside.. It was a poor reflection of how capable, athletic, competitive, and talented I know myself to be. People that didn't know me a long time (20 years or better) had no idea the tiger that lie underneath. Now the ones that didn't know me long are amazed by my weight loss, but the ones that knew me way before aren't surprised at all. They knew it was under there, too. And it's funny, new people I've met in the last year, since the weight loss, can't conceive of me the other way.
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My dream is to join the army, so I need to be strong and fit. It's what motivates me to keep going on this fitness journey even when I want to stop. I have no choice but to continue to make my dream come true. :)
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    my hs graduation pics...and the fact that I had almost reached 200 lbs.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was at a bar with my boyfriend, and we had a few drinks. There was a mechanical bull there and i got talked into riding this thing. Well, I had a LOT of trouble getting onto it, and they had to help me up. Someone said (where my boyfriend could hear) "It helps if you weigh less than the bull." Needless to say, I have NEVER been so embarrassed in all my life. I was embarrassed for ME, embarrassed for Jason, and felt lower than I ever had. Jason was very mad, and reassured me that he loves me for me, and I believe him, but that is what did it for me. I will never be ridiculed again because of my weight. It ends this year.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I gained lots of weight due to my 5 year old needing 2 major surgeries....I ate to help with the stress. Then once everything was fine with her I decided it was time to focus on me. I have lost most of my friends because I was always the "skinny one" and I couldn't face them. I had 0 self esteem, plus I want to be healthy for my kids and hubby.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!