What motivated you to begin your weighloss journey?

Options

Replies

• dreamzvt
    Options
    For so many reasons. It is has been right there for a while. Mainly looking in the mirror and seeing how big I was. Cankles....

Cankles are not cool!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually for a friend. Her husband was making less than desireable comments about her weight but wasn't always supportive when she needed it. She was unhappy and so i suggested a weightloss challenge, since we're both very competitive. Sad, isn't it, that i make the change for her and not me? lol but it was great cuz now I'm finally losing! (We both are :)
  • princess_mercedes
    Options
    I was sitting on my toilet one day and heard an almighty crack! I had broken the porcelain base of our toilet. Never heard of anyone doing this before. It definately spurred me into loosing weight.
  • smoore1988
    smoore1988 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't like taking pictures anymore, I didn't enjoy going out with my friends anymore becasue I felt out of place because of what other people had on, going to an amusement park and not being able to get on a roller coaster because my thighs were in the way of fastening the safety belt (horrible day). I could go on forever but I mainly did it because I want to be healthy and thus my weight loss journey continues. :)
  • Nactasha
    Nactasha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My son. It was his first Christmas, he woke up very sick, too sick. After ER visits and a month long stay in the Children's Hospital battling a very rare illness he developed coronary aneurysms. He is the only 3 year old little boy I know that has his own cardiologist. As a mother who needs to teach her son to have a healthy diet, to have a heart healthy lifestyle, what would I be if I could not live as I expect him to live his life?

Coming close to losing my baby, that was hard. Losing weight, nah, I got this.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When my hubby served in Iraq for a year, I was super healthy and lost a whole bunch of weight, but gained it all back about a year after he came home, I guess what motivated me was I missed being addicted to the gym, how I felt after a workout, I started back a few weeks ago and its hell right now, but I just keep reminding myself how I used to feel, and someday I will have that again!
  • hoosier_red
    Options
    Pain, mainly. I've never been thin, but after 45 years the body is finally starting to break down under the constant strain. My knees, my feet, my back -- it seemed like I was always in pain. Worse, I couldn't sleep flat, and tossed and turned every night because my arms or legs would go numb from the pressure of my own body. Thing is, I'd made a major life change last year by leaving a soul-destroying job and concentrating on my writing and crafting things for my Etsy store -- I'd done really well with that, so I decided to kick it up a notch in 2012 and start working on my body and physical health.

And then, on 1/1 a friend of mine posted to a FB group I'm on asking for weight loss suggestions and help. Another friend suggested MFP, saying that it had done wonders for her. It sounded interesting to me, so I checked this place out and realized it was exactly what I needed. Signed up, started logging all of my food and exercise, and four weeks later I've lost eight pounds and a half inch off my waist.
  • ready2smile
    ready2smile Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My Mum said something on holiday which destroyed me emotionally. i know she didnt mean it the way i took it, but it highlighted to me just how sensitive i am about my weight.

i am sick of being nervous to eat in front of others.

i will NOT get further in my career as a fat girl. it just doesnt happen.

i am tired of my knees and feet hurting. im in my twenties, not my 70s.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A few thing motivated me but the one thing that really changed my thoughts was my uncle had a massive heart attack right before Christmas that should have killed him. Luckily, he is perfectly fine now and is back to himself he's just a little more cautious of what he eats and is exercising again (he's already lost a good 40lbs or so). But to see my uncle who is only in his 40's have that big of a heart attack and his father has had a triple by pass (had them years ago when he was over weight but has since had a band put in and has lost a lot of weight) I know that it runs in the family... also my family (both sides sorry for all the () ) has high blood pressure and diabetes. I don't want to end up like that. So I woke up one morning and started to eat healthier but now I'm really trying to get into the grove more because I'm getting married in 9 months! Yikes!
  • Jan0707
    Jan0707 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Two weeks before my Mom passed away, we had taken her to see her cousin. When the cousin asked me how I was doing my Mom answered "Fine..she's fat as a little pig." Well, a year later I had gained another 12 pounds. So, 3 weeks ago, I decided I wasn't going to be the fat little pig anymore.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In the past, it was just purely because I wanted to look good, and that surely wasn't enough because it got me no where.

What motivated me now, is to not only look good but to feel good, inside and out. To love the clothes that I put on my body, look in the mirror and think, yeah you are beautiful, all of you. Because heart problems run on both sides of my family. Because my unhealthy habits have rubbed off on my husband and he himself has put on weight and started to feel like crap about himself. Because I want us to be active and healthy together. Because I turned 30 in 2011 and I'd like kids in this lifetime, and I can't fathom getting pregnant at 200+ lbs. Because I DO want to be a healthy example for my future kids so they don't go down the same path I did. I'm sick and tired of my feet, knees, back aching after a day at work. I'm sick and tired of every time I have a health concern hearing my dr. tell me that it must be because of my weight. or my chiropractor telling me that he can adjust me all day long but if I don't lose the weight, I'm doing my body no justice. I'm tired of being the fat friend. fat daughter. fat wife. fat co-worker. And I'm tired of hiding from cameras.

Basically just fed up and realized that NO ONE is going to change me, but me. Why waste another day wishing I had done today what I could have done yesterday!
  • LindsayHein
    LindsayHein Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher......

When a kindergardener tells you your fat, it's not to be mean....it's just true! There ain't no denying it after that! :)
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    that's hilarious! Good for you! Bad for him!!
  • SabaSajjad
    SabaSajjad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been obese all my life never known a moment when i felt like a normal girl.. i was scared to go back to school after vacations as other students would pick on me calling me fat and stuff.. bieng rejected to take part in some poem competitions because i was fat at the age of 8.. i had no self confidence nothing at all...
    Now i am 22 years old.. i have a bf who loves me despite of my weight but i want to make him happy as who dont want an attractive partner and most of all i wanna feel comfertable under my own skin.. wish me luck =) and best of luck to everyone =)
  • thatswhatlasaid
    Options
    Well for me, I've been overweight all my life. I don't know what it's like to be "normal" size. So, being thinner was a motivation (I was almost 200 pounds again which is a lot for a 5 foot 3 girl haha!). And I'm also in a nutrition class and it really opened my eyes to what health problems I could encounter down the road if I stay my size. I just want to be healthy!
    :)
  • CupcakeDefeater
    CupcakeDefeater Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Getting dumped by a stupid guy. Such a bad reason, but he's seen me now and is starting to regret his decision. Now, I'm doing it for my health. That feels so much better than thinking about a stupid guy.

forget that guy, that was his lost now enjoy your new vision on life:smile:
    congrats!

Totally agree, best motto i heard recently- Don't want me fat, Don't get me skinny :D
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My family is full of cautionary tales of what happens when you don't take care of yourself:

My father has had 3 major surgeries (quadruple bypass, hip replacement, and gastric surgery) in the past 2 1/2 years. He and my mother were surprised when he had his heart attack, but my brother and I saw it coming. Because that's what happens when you eat junk, smoke and sit on your *kitten* for 30 years straight. I was always just hoping that his first heart attack wasn't going to kill him.

My mother just had ankle surgery because of her sedentary lifestyle and has been immobile for 2 months. Just yesterday as I was helping her walk outside for the first time, she said, "Always keep yourself strong."

My late grandmother, who yo-yo dieted for 60 years and was at one point a model, said that her greatest regret was getting fat.

My grandfather, a career marine, has been wheel chair bound for 5 years because his legs are just unable to hold his body up. He has become a bitter man. When Shakespeare wrote King Lear, he must have time traveled to spend time with my grandfather.

I'm hoping to get pregnant and have a baby soon and I want to make sure my body is up to that challenge. Because, from what I've heard, kids tend to take up a lot of time and I won't be able to have those long gym sessions that I take for granted.

I want to be able to enjoy my life and have the QUALITY of life that will enable me to do that. That's my motivation.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I believe that America has had a big moral decline.
    I believe that a social collapse is coming.
    I looked at myself and realized that in my then current situation I could not survive.
    Look for food? I couldn't even make it to the car without being winded.
    I resolved to get myself into shape so that when the bad times come I will be available and able to help others.
    The other typical stuff, better health, more energy, increased happiness. That is just a bonus.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    my motivation:

I had a very stresful fall season and I found myself eating out of control for comfort and consuming to much sugar and falling into deep depression because of the sugar overload. It was hard but I have pulled myself out of that slump and am on the road to clean healthy eating again, and the weight loss isn't hurting either.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!