Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to agbide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

:heart:

Obviously, our modern society has a huge problem seeing that what is considered ''normal'' by most is processed crap food.
    Too many people base their happiness on food. They say ''omg, I would never give up junk because I'd feel so deprived''.
    It's just food.
    If you really feel like you can't enjoy life without junk food, I'd try to find the reason why.
    There is a misconception about the ''organic rainbow lettuce brigade''. I've read comments stating that people who don't eat junk must be so unhappy. Is it so hard to believe that some of us enjoy kale, lean turkey and avocado without feeling deprived?
    Don't let food take over your emotions. Don't let it be the reason why your happy or unhappy.

-Proud member of the organic rainbow lettuce brigade! :wink:

Very true.

We should eat to live, not live to eat.

Food is merely fuel for my body.

to the OP:

So in response to your perceived infliction of this brigade of healthy eaters you decide thst it is up to you to define normal?

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Sorry folks, but it is not so true, its just another opinion that one can agree or disagree with.

I was a food professional for over 30 years.

I LOVE food, but i'll let you decide what is normal, for you.

For me, I now only eat whole grain, no sugar except for the amount that is in my frozen yogurt, no high fructoes corn syrup, and few if any pastries, and I spent 8 years as a pastry chef. I still enjoy an adulkt bevereage when I feel like it, and use half and half in my coffee. I balance my choices and count my calories and exercise 4-6 days a week.

I eat whole grain pasta, whole grain crust pizza, and I think its delicious, you may not. Who is normal?

I mix my heatlthier food choices with the kitchen skills I picked up over the years and I don't miss a thing that I no longer eat and only eat what I enjoy.

If you're happy with another approcah, more power to you, especially if it works for you.

But please, don't try to tell me what is "normal", especially if your definition includes fast food, junk food or any of a number of ingredients that can very possibly affect your health in the long run.
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    weight loss = a healthier me;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

Bang on. You have to live life and enjoy it. Nothing in life is perfect, and neither should your diet be. Enjoy your birthday, christmas, your friends birthdays, and when you really want a chinese, have the chinese.

Work hard play hard. There's a balance to everything in life, and diet is no different.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    So, before anyone slams me, this just made me smile today in context of this post yesterday and the term ORLB! I fully respect everyone's right to eat however they wish to, and I do accept that eating clean is probably better for you in the long run, but I, like many others, cannot commit fully to that, for various reasons, so I just do the best I can.

However, I sometimes wonder if people take themselves a little too seriously, and this, in response to a question about processed food on the boards today, was one of those moments:

'I wouldn't worry too much about nut butters, but the organic ones that have had the peanuts dried in the sun would be preferable'

Really? Sun dried peanuts? Is that absolutely necessary?? :noway:
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    lol seriously, ffs, sun dried peanuts. amazing.

I don't "do" organic. I think it is a waste of money & if this is what you end up thinking like then I'm even more glad of it.

What a twonk
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That being said, many people in the ORLB follow an 80/20 eating schedule (80% rainbow lettuce 20% sinful / not perfect) or have sporadic "cheat days."

The 80/20 people aren't the ORLB. There's a difference between someone who eats healthy/organic food and someone who ONLY eats healthy/organic food. That's the whole point of the thread, if I'm not mistaken.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating clean. No one in their right mind would say it's better to eat Hot Pockets for every meal than eating balanced home cooked meals. What we're saying is that you're not going to die an instant and horrible death if you do happen to eat a Hot Pocket for lunch every now and then. The ORLBs will say you should NEVER eat a Hot Pocket because it's full of disgusting chemicals.

It's when it becomes a cult-like mentality that it becomes aggravating for those who didn't drink the organic equivalent of Kool Aid.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Real quick here: for those "healthy eaters" who think that what they eat now as "normal" food, do you think that if everyone "normally" ate that way, they'd be overweight or obese? I'm betting the answer is no.
    So since the majority of overweight and obese people probably didn't get that way from eating whole grains, vegetables, whole foods etc., then wouldn't the processed, junk, high sugar, high fat foods actually be the norm?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I definitely got overweight that way. Eating a huge bowl of pasta with meat sauce while you sit on your *kitten* is still going to pack on the pounds whether or not the pasta is whole grain and the meat sauce is made with veggies and grass fed beef. Making a wonderful veggie stir fry and serving it over a double helping of rice is still going to get you overweight. My problem was portion control. And sitting on my *kitten*. My problem was not that I ate a bunch a processed junk. Sorry to disappoint.

I grew up with a home cooked and well-balanced meal everyday to go along with my packed lunch. Every once in a while my mom would fry chicken or fish or take us out to eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell. I still cook all the time. I LOVE to cook. I love to cook with whole grains and veggies. I always have. Even in college I was the one having baked chicken with brown rice and veggies while everyone else ate their Hot Dogs and top ramen. I had fast food maybe once or twice a week when I was too busy with school to cook.

The fact of the matter is that eating processed junk is not everyone's normal.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I don't "do" organic. I think it is a waste of money & if this is what you end up thinking like then I'm even more glad of it.

What a twonk

I'm a little confused by this post. Are you responding to anyone in particular?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I think price is a major roadblock to healthier eating followed by convinience. I'm sort of fortunate to be on furlough right now so I have the time to devote to eating better. Hopefully I will be able to sustain these new habits when I go back to work.

I very much agree with this. Eating quality fruit and veggies when they are out of season is difficult and expensive. Plus, some people don't like eating it. It doesn't mean they can't improve their health and get rid of the excess body fat.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    edo ergo sum :flowerforyou:
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options

What a twonk

did you read the post directly above mine?
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The Organic Rainbow Lettuce Brigade.

GREAT band name.
  • GabriellaH99
    Options
    I love this post...thank you for putting it out there! I can't tell you the number of times I try to tell people this...or how often I get looks for enjoying a treat when people know I'm eating healthier in general... it's so frustrating when people don't understand! Good for you for putting this out there...and thank you!!!
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in eating "normal" food... just changing the way you eat it.
    Instead of having a massive plate of spaghetti, have 1 serving and a big salad. Or instead of eating 3 tacos, eat one and have some filling, healthy brocolli on the side.
    It's been working well for me.
    I had pizza rolls last night. I just had to have them. But them main part of my meal was salad and brocolli. YUM!
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    Real quick here: for those "healthy eaters" who think that what they eat now as "normal" food, do you think that if everyone "normally" ate that way, they'd be overweight or obese? I'm betting the answer is no.
    So since the majority of overweight and obese people probably didn't get that way from eating whole grains, vegetables, whole foods etc., then wouldn't the processed, junk, high sugar, high fat foods actually be the norm?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I definitely got overweight that way. Eating a huge bowl of pasta with meat sauce while you sit on your *kitten* is still going to pack on the pounds whether or not the pasta is whole grain and the meat sauce is made with veggies and grass fed beef. Making a wonderful veggie stir fry and serving it over a double helping of rice is still going to get you overweight. My problem was portion control. And sitting on my *kitten*. My problem was not that I ate a bunch a processed junk. Sorry to disappoint.

I grew up with a home cooked and well-balanced meal everyday to go along with my packed lunch. Every once in a while my mom would fry chicken or fish or take us out to eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell. I still cook all the time. I LOVE to cook. I love to cook with whole grains and veggies. I always have. Even in college I was the one having baked chicken with brown rice and veggies while everyone else ate their Hot Dogs and top ramen. I had fast food maybe once or twice a week when I was too busy with school to cook.

The fact of the matter is that eating processed junk is not everyone's normal.

Same here. I always ate a lot of veggies and fruits and hardly any junk food. Almost always bought produce and meat instead of boxed stuff. What changed for me when starting MFP was becoming more active again and controlling my portion size. For me to still eat my "normal" foods means still eating pasta/rice, an occasional pastry, ect. but probably less than I use to before joining.

What's considered normal to someone isn't normal to another person, whether that normal is junk food or health food.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

What a twonk

did you read the post directly above mine?

Ah sorry. I think I skipped over it when reading by accident. Sorry.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Processed crap isn't "normal" food to me. I don't like the way I feel after I eat it--physically or mentally. So why would I eat it?

I'm very happy with my healthy options. I actually enjoy them more.

I find it very amusing that so many are so self righteous about the processed stuff they eat; it's like you're looking for validation. I'm just happy that I actually ENJOY healthy foods. My bowl of oatmeal this morning may have had the same amount of calories as an Egg McMuffin, but I know that in the long run, steel cut oats, blueberries, and ground flax seeds are WAY better for my body than the McMuffin. Calories aside, the actual foods themselves are waaaay better for you.

I'd rather have a baked sweet potato than some fries. Honestly.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ORLB1.jpg

I know, I have way too much time on my hands. I gotta get called back to work. Just to be fair, I do still eat some organic whenever I can. It just isn't my religon anymore. No offense to anyone, I'm just having alittle fun.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My bowl of oatmeal this morning may have had the same amount of calories as an Egg McMuffin, but I know that in the long run, steel cut oats, blueberries, and ground flax seeds are WAY better for my body than the McMuffin. Calories aside, the actual foods themselves are waaaay better for you.

You're missing the point. No one is going to argue that those foods aren't more healthful. What I think folks are attempting to say is that the world isn't going to end because you treat yourself to McD's now and then.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My bowl of oatmeal this morning may have had the same amount of calories as an Egg McMuffin, but I know that in the long run, steel cut oats, blueberries, and ground flax seeds are WAY better for my body than the McMuffin. Calories aside, the actual foods themselves are waaaay better for you.

You're missing the point. No one is going to argue that those foods aren't more healthful. What I think folks are attempting to say is that the world isn't going to end because you treat yourself to McD's now and then.

But I don't want McD's even now and then, and I don't consider it to be a treat (more like a punishment!). That was my point--that what's normal to you, is NOT "normal" food to me. I don't see anything normal about frankenfood.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    ORLB1.jpg

I know, I have way too much time on my hands. I gotta get called back to work. Just to be fair, I do still eat some organic whenever I can. It just isn't my religon anymore. No offense to anyone, I'm just having alittle fun.

I :heart: you!