Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    The organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

Best line ever on MFP....For the WIN!
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great post! What works for one, will not always work for another. So many people like to push their own methods and preach them as the only way to do it. To each their own! I have lost 54 pounds in the past 5 months and I haven't drastically changed my eating, just reduce my portion sizes and limit the junk more. To those that do love to eat healthy and organic all the time, more power to you as well! There is no perfect way of doing this, just the best way that works for each individual.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
  • PaulS70
    Options

It's when it becomes a cult-like mentality that it becomes aggravating for those who didn't drink the organic equivalent of Kool Aid.

My point was that the ORLB may not be as "cult-like" as they are perceived. I consider myself to be a card carrying member of the ORLB and I eat 80/20. I know many others that meet the qualifications of the ORLB that constantly warn of the dangers of processed foods yet eat 80/20 themselves.

People ask for opinions on diets and foods here. It is often presumed that the food or diet being asked about is eaten on a frequent basis. I don't believe that the majority of ORLBers will say that you will die if you eat 1 doughnut.

I find it boring and uninformative to simply give "its fine in moderation" as the answer to every question about a food or diet.

I find other ORLB members answers to be better or at least more thought provoking because there is usually some attempt to explain why something is unhealthy.

This allows me to accumulate as much info as possible, form an opinion on a food and then increase or decrease its appearance in my menu as I see fit. I find this superior to "everything in moderation" because there is no opinion or analysis to help me discern approximately what "moderation" is for any given food.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    wonderful post!!!!! its all about portion control!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I find other ORLB members answers to be better or at least more thought provoking because there is usually some attempt to explain why something is unhealthy.

This allows me to accumulate as much info as possible, form an opinion on a food and then increase or decrease its appearance in my menu as I see fit. I find this superior to "everything in moderation" because there is no opinion or analysis to help me discern approximately what "moderation" is for any given food.

The problem is, the majority of the "ORLB" don't attempt to realistically explain why something may or may not be healthy, at least, not on this board. They just spread ridiculous myths about whatever food is being discussed in an attempt to scare the person asking the questions about it to stop eating it. See any thread about diet soda or fast food for a shining example. It's one thing to discuss the merits or health issues of any one food, but it's another to openly spread false information.
  • PaulS70
    Options

The problem is, the majority of the "ORLB" don't attempt to realistically explain why something may or may not be healthy, at least, not on this board. They just spread ridiculous myths about whatever food is being discussed in an attempt to scare the person asking the questions about it to stop eating it. See any thread about diet soda or fast food for a shining example. It's one thing to discuss the merits or health issues of any one food, but it's another to openly spread false information.

Yes... but it gets you thinking and researching. Its everyone's personal responsibility to take in all the information out there an form your own opinion.

"Everything is fine in moderation" always leaves you at the same state of being informed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's a simple truth, though, everything is fine in moderation. :drinker:
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    preach it!! so true..its all portion control, and exercise. i have not changed any of the foods i eat, but have cut back the amount that i was eating, and got my butt moving, and im seeing results. ....You are a genius!! lol

Would also like to add in my OPINION if you drastically change/cut out foods that you like to eat then its harder to stick to a diet, because you dont like the food you "have" to eat to lose weight...
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    hell yeah bro amen
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been eating so called normal food since I started this whole process, I refuse to deprive myself, this is not a punishment! Everything moderation I've loss 68 pounds eating normal food!
  • PaulS70
    Options
    It's a simple truth, though, everything is fine in moderation.

Thats just not a simple truth at all. I would maybe call it oversimplified advice but not a simple truth.

Entire government bureaucracies have developed to try and regulate what is fit for eating and what isn't.

Plus that "simple truth" does absolutely nothing to help people determine what "moderation" even is for them.
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Processed crap isn't "normal" food to me. I don't like the way I feel after I eat it--physically or mentally. So why would I eat it?

I'm very happy with my healthy options. I actually enjoy them more.

I find it very amusing that so many are so self righteous about the processed stuff they eat; it's like you're looking for validation. I'm just happy that I actually ENJOY healthy foods. My bowl of oatmeal this morning may have had the same amount of calories as an Egg McMuffin, but I know that in the long run, steel cut oats, blueberries, and ground flax seeds are WAY better for my body than the McMuffin. Calories aside, the actual foods themselves are waaaay better for you.

I'd rather have a baked sweet potato than some fries. Honestly.

That is great for you. But, the point is that the "Self Righteous" people on here are the ones who bash people for eating instant potatoes if its what they can use to control calories. Trust me, I have never seen a post on here by someone trying to ask an organic vegan to eat a burrito because it is "normal" food. The concept of normal is irrelevant. It is entirely subjective. The problem here is that if I can lose weight by eating prepackaged meals, awesome! If you can by eating nothing but organic this that and the other, Great! We need to support each others efforts, not point out that they are not doing EVERYTHING they could.
  • PaulS70
    Options
    ...and I apologize for being picky, but I have always hated "everything in moderation" as a catch all for dietary advice.
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    As a side note, I do eat organic lettuce grown under rainbows as well. Unicorn fertilizer is like miracle grow on steroids.

:laugh:
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hear hear! :drinker:
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options

That is great for you. But, the point is that the "Self Righteous" people on here are the ones who bash people for eating instant potatoes if its what they can use to control calories. Trust me, I have never seen a post on here by someone trying to ask an organic vegan to eat a burrito because it is "normal" food. The concept of normal is irrelevant. It is entirely subjective. The problem here is that if I can lose weight by eating prepackaged meals, awesome! If you can by eating nothing but organic this that and the other, Great! We need to support each others efforts, not point out that they are not doing EVERYTHING they could.

THIS!!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Applauds the original poster!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I hate at Chik-Fil-A last night and I had a Whooper Jr. for lunch. I am now happy :)
  • KellyAFraley
    Options
    Well said. If you are going to subject yourself to salads and tasteless foods you will not stick to your
    plans/goals. I eat what I normally would.... PORTION is key!