Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

:heart:

Obviously, our modern society has a huge problem seeing that what is considered ''normal'' by most is processed crap food.
    Too many people base their happiness on food. They say ''omg, I would never give up junk because I'd feel so deprived''.
    It's just food.
    If you really feel like you can't enjoy life without junk food, I'd try to find the reason why.
    There is a misconception about the ''organic rainbow lettuce brigade''. I've read comments stating that people who don't eat junk must be so unhappy. Is it so hard to believe that some of us enjoy kale, lean turkey and avocado without feeling deprived?
    Don't let food take over your emotions. Don't let it be the reason why your happy or unhappy.

-Proud member of the organic rainbow lettuce brigade! :wink:

Very true.

We should eat to live, not live to eat.

Food is merely fuel for my body.

This makes me sad.

Me, too. You could just as easily say "sex is merely for procreation" and only 'have intercourse' with your husband when you're ready for another child. What kind of life is that?

MAKE LOVE AND ENJOY THE CHEESEBURGER.

(Apologies if someone has said this already. I'm only on page 6 - and obviously very bored.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Me, too. You could just as easily say "sex is merely for procreation" and only 'have intercourse' with your husband when you're ready for another child. What kind of life is that?

MAKE LOVE AND ENJOY THE CHEESEBURGER.

(Apologies if someone has said this already. I'm only on page 6 - and obviously very bored.)

*Applause!*

I think I'm going to have a Tastycake. No nutritional benefit, but lots of psychological benefit.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    shameless bump?

;)
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I'll just put it out there that I've lost 10 pounds in two months, and I eat Lean Cuisines and Marie Callender's all the time. Not for every single meal, but lots of times for dinner because I work a lot and sometimes I only have time to grab them from the store. My body hasn't rebelled against me. I'm not ballooning up like a whale.

And nothing I eat is organic. I'm poor. If that's what you like and that's what works for you, awesome, but this is working for me too.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I really want a cheeseburger...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JessicaHoskins
    Options
    I have @144 pounds to lose, have lost @ 6 lbs so far, & while I 'm here on MFP, I eat anything that I please:
    There are NO "Bad" foods on this site; Moderation is the key.:smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I approve of this diet plan.
  • jaqiswany
    Options
    I've been eating normal food all year. Lost 43 pounds doing it. Portions are KEY!

I agree, portions and moderation, thats all im learning to do
  • trudy45
    Options
    agreed :) x
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, sensible and balanced post......beats some of the more unhinged posts one sees on here!
  • mocha1975
    Options
    Wow, sensible and balanced post......beats some of the more unhinged posts one sees on here!

I was just about to say the same thing!! Round of applause to the OP - all newbies should read this for all the reasons stated.
  • mocha1975
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I had one yesterday......and will continue to do so on a regular basis!
  • mocha1975
    Options
    This is perfect!!! So many people just joining this site need to read this and believe it! I started out at 190 and am now down to 125 - by working out (NOT 4 hours a day like some people think they need to),portion control and making healthier food choices. I still eat pizza, pasta, chocolate (my weakness :wink: ) and other "junk" food...but I've learned to not eat enormous portions and instead of half a plate of mac and cheese I only eat 1/2 of an actual serving size then fill in the rest with veggies. I've had tons of people ask me how I did it and 'what kind of diet are you on'. LOL Of course I smile and say I'm not on a diet! hahaha I wouldn't last.... Diets mean you are not 'allowed' to eat certain types of food and my thought is...if I want it I'll eat it! That's why those commericals about the gum that tastes like desserts makes me laugh....I'm sorry, but if I want a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream I highly doubt a piece of gum that tastes like ice cream will do! :laugh:

TOTALLY agree with you! side note: You have just described my lifestyle/food choices and my response to people's line of questioning re my weightloss :D
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    'all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow'

OMG I laughed so hard I nearly blew coffee out of my nose! You are so right. You can and SHOULD eat normal foods even when you are dieting because what happens when you reach your goal weight and then you go to a party with buffet food laid out in front of you SCREAMING your name.... COOKIE MONSTER DOES A HOOVER IMPRESSION THATS WHAT! Most of us are here because we have no self control with the foods we love, if we dont learn to control ourselves we'll always be struggling against our internal cookie monsters.
    I replaced my lunch with a KitKat chunky... it was a peanut butter one, I was NOT saying no to that!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    new folks all over this place, so I'm bumping back up to the top.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Heh, nice thread.

I'm pretty pleased with the results I've been getting with respect to energy and weightloss without having to get rid of all the food I like or drop to stupidly low calories. Honestly the biggest help probably was cutting out at least half the soda (yeah, I know, there's still too much, but I was going through a case every 2-3 days).
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    As long as White Castle stays in business, I'll never be president of the ORLB. Love my "sliders"!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Had 2 scoops of REGULAR Rocky Road ice cream for dessert. Still have some calories to consume for tonight....................thinking maybe peanut butter.

IDEA Fitness member
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    While I agree with your main concept, just because you are eating less doesn't mean you're any healthier.