Things you see at the Gym

Options

Replies

• mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy that I work out at home. LOL! I am loving it. Keep 'um coming! :drinker:
  • PeanutsMamaTx
    PeanutsMamaTx Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i'm just envious that i can't turn up in teeny tiny shorts and bra tops with flawless hair and make up and do 10 minutes at snails pace and have a body to kill for.

i wish i had that much self control with food, but i don't, so i have to seriously work my butt off and sweat like a horse in my baggy old daggy gym clothes.

You are not alone. I also have to seriously work my butt off and sweat like a horse in my baggy old daggy gym clothes too! :happy:

Even when I was fit I wasn't comfortable wearing bra tops and stuff like that... I'd be the one in the gym having a clothing malfunction, causing y'all to talk about me on this thread! :laugh:
  • PeanutsMamaTx
    Options
    2) New Year's resolution crowds that clog up machines, working out at a snail's pace and stop going within 1-2 weeks because their bodies have not magically transformed overnight.

YES, this. It was so annoying at my gym. Right after the new year you couldn't go on a week night after dinner (7pm) and find a treadmill or elliptical to get on! It was insane. And guess what, it's already pretty much back to the way it was before the new year started. Only about half of the machines are in use when I get there. Why wait to make a resolution? Had I decided in October to wait until January, I'd still have most of the weight I've lost on me!
  • shockedsoshocked
    Options
    Most recent peeve: I use the rowing machine a lot for Cardio, and I'm fairly fit, can quite happily drop under 7mins for a 2k. I often get people looking at me (I sweat a lot), get on the erg next to me, and are constantly looking over to see my pace and trying to do it themselves. They usually last a minute tops. The wall is mirrored so I can see them doing it. Odd people.
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A guy came in yesterday with steel toe work boots, jeans that he wore below is butt, t-shirt with a plaid over shirt over top and a ball cap. He then decided to hop on the bike for some cardio. I think I laughed out loud with my headphones on.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    One of the cleaning staff in my gym always somehow ends up "cleaning" in the area around/behind my treadmill.. Very awkward. lol

Then there's another guy who will flex his biceps inbetween his sets on the leg extension machine. I see him all the time, lol. I guess he's just very proud of himself, Go That Guy! LOL

But cell phones in the gym (talking and/or texting) is my all time pet peeve!
  • u117289
    u117289 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It makes me crazy when you see WOMEN with full face of make-up on – I just don’t get it, I can understand after work and you don’t wash your face.. But at 5:30 am really? There is one woman who has a Personal Trainer (he’s easy on the eyes) and has her hair and make-up done. Not like "I’ve got to go to work" make-up but "I’m going to a dark bar make-up and I want to be noticed".. But, I guess if that’s what makes her feel good so be it and I shouldn’t judge, right?!?!

I just question her sanity!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a "live and let live" kind of person so people's different weirdnesses don't get to me much. Just adds some entertainment in between sets for me.

There was ONE little number that had me grinding my teeth during spin class yesterday though. It was the lunch time spin class with everyone's favorite instructor. It's always packed, it just happens. But this was the first time people were actually turned away because there just werent enough bikes for everyone. I felt bad but got down to business, until I saw this girl who looked like she would blow away in a breeze in a pink jump suit (again, weird choice for a sweaty class, but meh...) make-up and hair (down) perfect and not a drop of sweat on her...half way through the class. She should have been dripping like the rest of us. So it was then I noticed, not only was she NOT following the instructor, but anytime she started to get even a smidge moist, she would gently dab her face with a towel to keep her perfect make up perfect. This pissed me off to no end because there were a lot of people who were actually there to work out that had to be turned away!! No excuse for that crap. Ugh...

End rant.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    -When people wear their pajamas to the gym
    -girls wearing full-faced makeup with chandelier earrings
    -guys who spend a full 30 minutes just flexing in front of the mirror
    -when people stand behind me (not doing anything, just watching me) when I'm on the Stairmaster or bent leg kick-back machine
    -people hogging the machines by just sitting on them, not using them, texting their friends
    -children sneaking in and fooling around, bouncing the exercise balls off the walls (my gym is 16+)

-the slobs that don't wipe off their machines. I hunt them down, throw a rag and spray bottle at them.
    No thanks, I don't want your herpes.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a "live and let live" kind of person so people's different weirdnesses don't get to me much. Just adds some entertainment in between sets for me.

There was ONE little number that had me grinding my teeth during spin class yesterday though. It was the lunch time spin class with everyone's favorite instructor. It's always packed, it just happens. But this was the first time people were actually turned away because there just werent enough bikes for everyone. I felt bad but got down to business, until I saw this girl who looked like she would blow away in a breeze in a pink jump suit (again, weird choice for a sweaty class, but meh...) make-up and hair (down) perfect and not a drop of sweat on her...half way through the class. She should have been dripping like the rest of us. So it was then I noticed, not only was she NOT following the instructor, but anytime she started to get even a smidge moist, she would gently dab her face with a towel to keep her perfect make up perfect. This pissed me off to no end because there were a lot of people who were actually there to work out that had to be turned away!! No excuse for that crap. Ugh...

End rant.

I've seen a lot on this thread ranting about women who are all worked up with the makeup and the hair and whatnot. I was pondering on it, and realized I'm not sure I've seen this. Maybe I'm just really unobservant. I know I go with just foundation on, (and it doesn't run off with the sweat so I'm not having to reapply it every few minutes), and my hair is up in a clip so it's not all sweating down my back. I also dangle earrings because they don't bother me when I work out and actually, it's all I own. Is this what people are talking about? Because if it is, it's got nothing to do with trying to look too pretty for working out. Or am I really just that blind and haven't seen these walking dolls? :ohwell:
  • PeanutsMamaTx
    Options
    A guy came in yesterday with steel toe work boots, jeans that he wore below is butt, t-shirt with a plaid over shirt over top and a ball cap. He then decided to hop on the bike for some cardio. I think I laughed out loud with my headphones on.

I saw something similar to this at my gym on Wednesday evening. An older guy came in with his teenage son. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and a pair of what looked to be like steel toed work boots... but he also looked as if he had gone to happy hour after work and had several drinks, plus he had a big beer belly to go along with it. I thought he was just showing his kid how to use all the machines, but he was actually working out with him too. It was just odd.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know we are there for our workouts but the Gym is a soap opera full of very interesting characters.

It never ceases to amaze me when I am in the locker room and women walk around butt *kitten* naked. Boobs flapping around everywhere not to mention that spider about to jump at me. And why is that the time they pick to have a full on convo. LADY: the barrier on personal space increases with nakedness.

Dont get me started on the dude who wears NO underwear with his teeny workout shorts......

What do you see in the Gym that makes you go....WTH????

Oh I agree. I don't think I'm that much of a prude but I do not want to see other ladies junk. It's hard enough to look at my own self.
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    People who talk to me while I'm working out annoy the fire out of me. I go to the gym to get healthy, not to socialize. And they always seem to do it when I'm huffing and puffing away at the elliptical, or in the middle of a difficult lift. What's really annoying is when they comment on my workout:

Wow! You're really going full speed, aren't you?

That looks heavy!

It's either this, or people comment on my tattoo.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I enjoy people watching. I haven't seen anything too out of the ordinary at my gym. I do, however, get annoyed when people have an extremely loud cell phone conversation on the machine beside you, chicks in a full face of makeup and the steroid monkeys who grunt really loud when lifting.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Swass, swits and swagina.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Swass, swits and swagina.
  • mrleepiano
    Options
    The most recent thing that really has me thinking WTF is this couple that goes to my gym. They'll hold hands to each station they're going to and give each other kisses in between exercises...WTFFFFF?!
  • brandonrdn
    Options
    The worst thing I've seen was actually a few days after New Years. What I can only assume was a resolutioner was walking (1-2 mph) on a treadmill. The treadmill has two cupholders, you know for water, protein shakes, etc. that people usually have with them at the gym. This woman had two, yes two, sweet teas from McDonalds on the treadmill with her. I facepalmed as I walked out the door.

Other than that there hasn't really been much "weird" stuff at my gym. One thing that annoys me is when people sit on a machine with their cell phones. I leave my phone in my car to prevent being distracted, but I've seen people sit on a machine, while I do my 4 sets of 16-20 reps, and the whole time they're texting. I don't understand how people can go to the gym and do nothing but text.
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow! After reading a few of these posts I'm glad I go to an all women's gym. I go in the afternoon when there's no daycare going on. That's just too much crazy then. There isn't hardly an empty treadmill available and when you're done they practically jump on it before you grab your things. Now when I go in the afternoon I'm there with the geriatric crowd. Today I walked next to two cute little old ladies who looked to be in their 80's (yay for them! I hope to be doing that when I'm their age) Although one time this sweet little old lady started walking on the treadmill next to me and had on the strongest little old lady perfume. I almost had to stop. Luckily my nose adjusted to the smell and I was able to finish.:flowerforyou:
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well, there's the guy who I think is in a gang, and he is covered with tattoos, he shaves off his eyebrows and has tattoos instead. I'm scared of him, but I have a crush on him.
    There's the crazy guy who always opens pill bottles and pops pills whi,e he's on the bike.