12 Tips for People who feel like they can't not losing weigh

Options
124»

Replies

• Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow! I will definitely look into that! I love getting new information like this!! Thank you so much!!! I don't usually eat much agave (mainly because it's so darn expensive), but I will DEFINITELY keep your info in mind. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get this information? I'd like to know more about it.

lol I do know what organic means... I never said that organic means it isn't processed.

Keep in mind, when I referred to agave, I was talking about "treats" and not something I make my whole diet out of. I don't see anything wrong with eating sweets every once in a while--in fact, I strongly encourage it!!

I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what organic meant - But a lot of people get confused by "organic" products and think it means they are all natural. Trust me, when I heard about Agave Nectar at first, I imagined workers going out to a plant and getting the nectar sort of like they get maple syrup. lol I don't see anything wrong with eating treats either - but as I try to eat as little fructose as possible, I realized that using agave nectar was worse than even white sugar. It's a shame we can't trust food labels. Anyways, here are a couple of links, and you might google it to find out more.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
    http://chefsref.hubpages.com/hub/Agave-Syrup-Agave-Nectar-Good-or-Bad

In a nutshell, most agave nectar is processed so heavily that it shouldn't even be legal for it to be called agave nectar. Kind of like the "honey" they sell in stores. If it isn't raw honey, it isn't real honey.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, most agave nectar is processed so heavily that it shouldn't even be legal for it to be called agave nectar. Kind of like the "honey" they sell in stores. If it isn't raw honey, it isn't real honey.

Agave makes tequila. :smile:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    And your statement, "The only thing makes you lose weight is a calorie deficit" is simply not true.

Can you name another? Just curious.

liposuction?

bwa hahahaha!

A few minor pts of contention
    Processed foods sabotage any diet. They make the brain think you're eating a highly nutritious food because it has such a rich taste, but your body doesn't process it as such. These foods are linked to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity.

Que? just because it's processed doesn't mean it's "bad" and i think you confuse processed foods and their actual degree of processing ie. oatmeal, milk, cheese, protein powder, frozen veggies and fruits etc, all are processed
    Ezekial bread is made of sprouted whole grains--the best kind for you

If you ignore the fact of it's phytic acid content and it's effect on mineral absorption

as well as the pts on meal timing, calorie deficits etc

It was a well intentioned if not slightly misinformed blog post

this is what many have said ... but we're insecure for saying such things. welcome to our club.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you are satisfied with the results you are achieving with your caloric-deficit-only method, then this advice was not intended for you! But that didn't work for me and it's clearly not working for others as well and this was my humble and genuine attempt to share my own experience with success. If it's not your experience, then by all means, please keep doing what you're doing. Different strokes for different folks.

^^^^^Quoting you so I am not labeled as misquoting you. You said calorie-deficit-only method didn't work for you. Calorie deficit is in fact the only way to lose weight - so if you lost weight you in fact had a calorie deficit. There are many ways to create that calorie deficit - so maybe that's what you mean, the ways can vary - but it's still a calorie deficit and that is what causes weight loss. You can achieve this by diet changes or more exercise or both but the fact still remains, only a calorie deficit will decrease weight. To state otherwise is just not correct.

That's all. Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:

The key word was ONLY. Meaning that by ONLY restricting calories (and not exercising or eating the right foods), I did not get the results I wanted--I'd lose some weight and then my body would adapt and I'd either have to eat fewer and fewer calories or just settle for the small weight I did lose (which then always came back). This seems to be the experience of many other people here, and I just thought I'd share what worked for me.

I don't know how else to express to you people that I am not criticizing a caloric deficit. Trust me--I'm not. If it came off that way then by God am I sorry.
  • ahinski
    Options
    Alright, they were TIPS not rules. Under every tip, I said what I do, and did not point the finger at you saying that if you don't do this, you won't lose weight. Do you think i'm perfect? Read my food diary--I'm far from it. But when I do these things, I feel good and lose weight. Most of what I've learned and tried is advice I've gotten from fitness professionals either in my own personal life or from people like Chalene Johnson, Tony Horton, Tosca Reno, Dr. Esselstyn, and Dr. Andrew Wiel, just to name a few.

Many of you raised great points--points I admittedly agree with, yet even when I tried to agree, it was so obvious that the goal was to argue for the sake of arguing. I find that kind of negativity even more poisonous than a Big Mac and a Large Coke.

I was ready to say, heck with all of you I'm never coming back to these boards again, but I received an outpouring of messages and friend invites from people who said I helped them. Helping people is what makes me happy and I shared the blog with the sole purpose of helping others who were struggling as I have in the past.

I will no longer be responding to any of the negativity that is clearly rampant on this site. I'm actually incredibly embarrassed that I felt the need to defend myself, as I know what I said is true to my experience, and if others have a problem with it, it's none of my business. So go ahead--criticize away, but I am done responding. I'll take my own advice from now on and choose to either try the suggestions people freely offer here, or just leave it alone without judgmental criticism. This is not how I respond to people in real life, so I'm not about to start doing so online.

I am genuinely sorry if I offended anyone or if my tips were some how hurtful and not helpful.
  • ahinski
    Options
    Wow! I will definitely look into that! I love getting new information like this!! Thank you so much!!! I don't usually eat much agave (mainly because it's so darn expensive), but I will DEFINITELY keep your info in mind. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get this information? I'd like to know more about it.

lol I do know what organic means... I never said that organic means it isn't processed.

Keep in mind, when I referred to agave, I was talking about "treats" and not something I make my whole diet out of. I don't see anything wrong with eating sweets every once in a while--in fact, I strongly encourage it!!

I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what organic meant - But a lot of people get confused by "organic" products and think it means they are all natural. Trust me, when I heard about Agave Nectar at first, I imagined workers going out to a plant and getting the nectar sort of like they get maple syrup. lol I don't see anything wrong with eating treats either - but as I try to eat as little fructose as possible, I realized that using agave nectar was worse than even white sugar. It's a shame we can't trust food labels. Anyways, here are a couple of links, and you might google it to find out more.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
    http://chefsref.hubpages.com/hub/Agave-Syrup-Agave-Nectar-Good-or-Bad

Thank you so much for this useful information. Agave is too expensive anyway! Do you have any suggestions about alternatives? I'm usually someone who prefers salty treats, but every once in a while I crave sweets. Unfortunately, I really hate the taste of stevia. What do you do instead?

Also: When I get a chance, I will edit the blog post and make a note that I learned some new information leading me to believe that agave is not has healthful as I'd hoped. Seriously, I really appreciate it!
  • ahinski
    Options
    A few minor pts of contention
    Processed foods sabotage any diet. They make the brain think you're eating a highly nutritious food because it has such a rich taste, but your body doesn't process it as such. These foods are linked to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity.

Que? just because it's processed doesn't mean it's "bad" and i think you confuse processed foods and their actual degree of processing ie. oatmeal, milk, cheese, protein powder, frozen veggies and fruits etc, all are processed
    Ezekial bread is made of sprouted whole grains--the best kind for you

If you ignore the fact of it's phytic acid content and it's effect on mineral absorption

as well as the pts on meal timing, calorie deficits etc

It was a well intentioned if not slightly misinformed blog post

Edit: I just can't seem to help but defend myself!! lol what is wrong with me!? But I do have a genuine question:

As for the Ezekial bread, you're giving me completely new info (which I love)! I always read that sprouted grains were a "superfood," and though I can't remember off the top of my head why fitness expert and author, Tosca Reno, recommended them so highly, I just know that she felt they were essential in her book "The Eat Clean Diet." Can you tell me more about why I should reconsider? I had no idea! What do you recommend instead?

Thank you for pointing these things out to me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just to point out, a "fitness expert" has absolutely zero education in food and nutrition, and most of the things they recommend have absolutely no basis in science.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    As for the Ezekial bread, you're giving me completely new info (which I love)! I always read that sprouted grains were a "superfood," and though I can't remember off the top of my head why fitness expert and author, Tosca Reno, recommended them so highly, I just know that she felt they were essential in her book "The Eat Clean Diet." Can you tell me more about why I should reconsider? I had no idea! What do you recommend instead?

People will usually cite that whole grains, brown rice etc are better then their white counterparts due to them being higher in fiber and other nutrients, however their phyate content seems to effect the absorption of magnesium. calcium, zinc and iron. So automatically saying their better is up for some debate imo

here's a more recent study

Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004

http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/3/418.full.pdf
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this useful information. Agave is too expensive anyway! Do you have any suggestions about alternatives? I'm usually someone who prefers salty treats, but every once in a while I crave sweets. Unfortunately, I really hate the taste of stevia. What do you do instead?

Also: When I get a chance, I will edit the blog post and make a note that I learned some new information leading me to believe that agave is not has healthful as I'd hoped. Seriously, I really appreciate it!

I use local, raw honey, 100% pure maple syrup, and organic turbinado (raw sugar) - all in moderation, of course. And then there are my totally processed and bad-for-you indulgences...but I try real hard to keep it all to a minimum!
  • ahinski
    Options

People will usually cite that whole grains, brown rice etc are better then their white counterparts due to them being higher in fiber and other nutrients, however their phyate content seems to effect the absorption of magnesium. calcium, zinc and iron. So automatically saying their better is up for some debate imo

Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004

Thanks for the info... I'll have to edit my blog post and note that, since it might be something people are interested in. White flour appears to have some negative affects on me personally, but that's just me. I'll have to weigh out the pros and cons once I research it more. And I don't eat much Ezekial bread anyway...once again because it's rather expensive. Thanks again!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Team Edward or team Jacob hmmmm

Clowns are fun...I like clowns
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I can't get that to open on my computer. :-(

But I think there's a major difference between "white wheat" bread and "whole wheat" bread. Does the study address that? White wheat, essentially, is white bread. If you read the ingredients list, it has "enriched" flour, which means the nutrients were stripped and then added back in, which is far different than just using the whole wheat.

But since I can't read the study, maybe I'm totally wrong about what it's saying.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

But I think there's a major difference between "white wheat" bread and "whole wheat" bread. Does the study address that? White wheat, essentially, is white bread. If you read the ingredients list, it has "enriched" flour, which means the nutrients were stripped and then added back in, which is far different than just using the whole wheat.

But since I can't read the study, maybe I'm totally wrong about what it's saying.

If you read the study, they added in phyate content to white bread in comparable amounts to brown bread or whole wheat
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If you read the study, they added in phyate content to white bread in comparable amounts to brown bread or whole wheat

That makes sense. I'll try later on my home computer. My work computer has software from 1974.