What counts as water?

Options
Hey guys! Quick question, couldn't find anything related easily when I searched. My coworker and I were discussing how much water we drink the other day and I was telling her it was hard for me to just drink regular water, so I use Crystal light and tea. She responded that these things don't count as going toward your 8 glasses daily and only strictly water does! What do you guys think??

Replies

• clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Basically all liquids (besides alcohol) count. So, water, tea, juice, milk, etc, etc, etc
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water.
  • Brooke1585
    Brooke1585 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Same here
  • MaryHoffman520
    Options
    Anything with caffeine in it does NOT count towards fluids!!
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options

True story.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Water........ water counts as water. Caffeine dehydrates, chemicals could possibly alter the use, sugar adds calories.

Water.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've been wondering this myself. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of ALL liquids counting, but I drink flavoured water (similar to what you've been doing) and I've been wondering if that would count!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    water!
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

^^This
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    everything
    YES EVERYTHING
    except alcohol
    cafeine does not dehydrates it's a myth
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I count my 10 calorie sugar-free lemonade packets that go in my water as H2O but I know I probably shouldn't. Oh well. I HATE plain water so I'm lucky I love these.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    water counts as water for me and thats it

its true you get water from other sources such as fruit, but since even the MFP water tracker says "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day" i only record what I actually drink, and only if it actually is water....no coffee, tea, soda, juice, etc

edit: if i put in a little bit of lemon/lime or flavor it with crystal light packets, i still count it as water....normally im good at just drinking plain water, but sometimes its nice to have flavor to it...but i use a crystal light packet for a whole gallon typically, not just got the one glass they say
  • robbiejay1971
    Options
    :happy: Only water counts as water. Not even tea or coffee. Milk and juice both contain calories and fats so do not count as water.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ummm....water?
  • TexasRaised89
    TexasRaised89 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. Although many other drinks have water in them, "the 8 cups a day" saying isn't for "water based" drinks. It's strictly water. Try adding a lemon or a lime to your water for a bit of flavor if needed.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I used to not be much of a water drinker either. Now I LOVE ice water with fresh cut lemons in it. I pick up a large one at Sonic every morning. Nothing but fresh lemon to flavor it and I refill it all day. Now, all I drink is water except for a cup or two of coffee in the morning.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Anything with caffeine in it does NOT count towards fluids!!

Most doctors now agree that any beverage counts as fluids, even if they have caffiene in them. My doctor even tells me to include fruits and vegetables that are mostly water towards my daily count. But the best way to gage how much you need is by your thirst level. If you are thirsty...you need more water (and things like crystal light--with sugar substitues--do make me more thirsty).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    all liquid (I wouldn't include alcohol) and the water you get through the foods you eat.

Even if you are drinking something that makes you pee you are still drinking something. Your body will do a perfectly good job of maintaining water balance if you let it.

If my body thinks I didn't get enough water I will wake up the next morning thirsty.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Hey guys! Quick question, couldn't find anything related easily when I searched. My coworker and I were discussing how much water we drink the other day and I was telling her it was hard for me to just drink regular water, so I use Crystal light and tea. She responded that these things don't count as going toward your 8 glasses daily and only strictly water does! What do you guys think??

Water counts as water......
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everything I've heard and read says Tea can be counted as water if you don't add any sugar, cream, milk, etc. But really, water is water!:laugh: