What counts as water?

Options

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Water counts as water. It is that clear stuff that comes out of the faucet/bottle.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    only water is water. period.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    There is so much ignorance on this subject I simply give up. It won't affect my body any. :bigsmile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Only water is water. Other beverages are fluids, which are still good.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    And really...no kidding water is water....obtuse much?
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    t
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I sometimes only drink about 28 oz of straight water each day. That's what my water bottle holds that I chug on when exercising. The rest of the day might include some more water but mostly things like green tea, herbal teas, and coffee, sometimes hot, sometimes over ice. Occasionally a Diet Coke. And I do drink Crystal Light in a gallon container at home but I use a lot more water than they say to use on the packets so it's very diluted just giving a slight flavor to the water. I don't believe that's harmful in any way or hurts your hydration.

While I don't track my intake, as long as I'm peeing clear I don't worry if I'm hydrated enough. If there's even a hint of yellow tinge to my urine, however slight, I then focus on drinking a few more glasses of pure water. If it's clear, I'm confident I'm well hydrated. It's virtually always clear so i don't worry about it. I also pay attention to how much I sweat when doing an intense workout. If I'm not sweating much, it tells me I need to drink more pure water. If I'm sweating freely, I know I'm fine.

Works for me. YMMV.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    dehydrated_water.jpg
    Does this count?

HaHaHa !
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Adding to the chorus of... water.

I don't count anything else as water because of various reasons including sugar content and caffeine.

If you can't drink much water, start off small. You don't need to be drinking 8397497491 cups a day at first. Buy yourself a water bottle and try to drink a little more each day. Before you know it you will be drinking water like it's going out of style.
  • sjerrott
    sjerrott Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I count tea as water - don't drink water but drink a crap load of tea and since that is a cup of hot water with a teabag in it, I believe it counts as water.
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Water is the only thing that counts as water. Coffee, tea, Gatorade, soda...all of these things have water in them, but they DO NOT count as going towards your 8 cups of water per day. For that, you need straight, pure water. That info is from fitness experts and my college chemistry teacher.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    yes, they count as water. i don't count anything like juice, milk or soda unless i have a lot of it that day, then it equals one glass for me. i count water with crystal lite or my slimquick fatburner in it as a regular glass, as well as tea and instant coffee...anything that's basically 99% water.

ps: Women's Health magazine says that tea, coffee and other beverages count towards your 8 glasses a day!!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water.

Tea, coffee, pop...all diuretics. For every cup of tea, coffee or pop you need to drink 2 extra glasses of water.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I count tea as water - don't drink water but drink a crap load of tea and since that is a cup of hot water with a teabag in it, I believe it counts as water.
    I used to do this until I started heaping in the spoons of sugar into my tea :( I know it's still hydrating me and all but I log it as a fluid rather than part of my water intake. Tea is a godsend!
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    My problem with crystal light is that it's filled with artificial sugars, is NOT calorie free, has artificial colors and is packed with vitamin c (which can cause megadosing).[Aspartame isn't healthy. ODing on vitamin c can cause excess uric acid in the body, diarrhea, and a reliance on such a high level of VC. Why would you want artifical colors at all? Trix are bad; why isn't neon red CL fruit punch?] If all you want from water is hydration then rock out. If you're looking for the other benefits of water, cutting back on your CL might be beneficial.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    So, if only pure water is water, then if I have a gallon of water and add food coloring to it, it's no longer water?

Oh, it is?

Then why isn't tea? Oh, because less than 1% of it is something else? Shouldn't you say that it's 99% water, so instead of 12 ounces of water, I can only count it as 11.88 ounces of water.

Milk, being (let's assume) 95% water and 5% something else cannot count as water? I'll buy that it can't be counted as 100% water, but it certainly can be counted as 'some' water. That's just simple logic. What other parts of its makeup might reduce the benefits of water? The fat, a little sodium, calcium? OK, let's say that the fat reduces the "purity effect" by some amount, as does the sodium and calcium. Even after that the 95% water would still be probably 80% or more.

I can buy that alcohol might have enough negatives as to complete negate the "water-ness" of the water, but I can't buy that 75 or so milligrams of caffeine in a cup of coffee entirely negates the "water-ness". A cup of coffee has some equivalent benefit to pure water.

This is science people. If it contains water and does not contain enough of other elements to negate the body's response to the water, it will count as water to at least some percentage of the overall. It's that simple.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I count anything apart from alcohol and fruit juices. I know people that don't drink plain water and it doesn't affect how much weight they lose or their hydration levels. Anything that hydrates you counts in my book, tea, diet pop, full fat pop, squash... You just have to add calories too!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    For every cup of tea, coffee or pop you need to drink 2 extra glasses of water.

Do you ever leave the bathroom?
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    H2O, tap water, bottled water, water out of a catcus...
    tea? no
    coffee? no
    soda? no
    urine? why would you want to even go there
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i think only water - try it hot - cold water makes me hungry.