What counts as water?

Options

Replies

• Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was told by my chiropractor that you could not count water enhanced with things such as crystal light due to the preservatives. He said you can only count straight water as water. Even coffee and tea did not count.
    Your body 'counts' it. How does flavoring water suddenly make water not water? Your body certainly still sees the fluid as hydrating.
    Read the ingredients on the packages... water is water, if you add anything to it, it is no longer water
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Basically all liquids (besides alcohol) count. So, water, tea, juice, milk, etc, etc, etc

This is not true. Milk and juice are actually foods. And caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee cause you to retain water. Water is only water if you are drinking water. Period. You can have other stuff, but to get the fully hydrated, toxin-flushing effects of water, then you still have to drink you 8 glasses (4 bottles) of water a day.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I guess the two gallons of tequila I drank before work doesnt count towards my water intake then huh?
  • keiraannemorgan
    Options
    MFP suggests drinking 8 glasses of water each day, not 8 miscellaneous beverages.

Water is water is water.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I have to make only water count for me. Everything else kinda screws with me and I will not drink enough if I .start counting other stuff
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Water is water and fluid is fluid. I try to drink water but I'd rather drink a gallon of milk instead. If water tasted like milk than I'd have my 8 glasses before noon.

I hate the taste of water. I have to be dying in order to just drink water all day. Just because this site says 8 glasses of water doesn't necessarily mean you need to have the clear liquid stuff in the expensive bottles or filtered stuff. If this site said "Drink 15 shots of vodka" would you do it?
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this. WATER is the only drink free calories, soda, milk, tea (mostly) has calories
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I was told by my chiropractor that you could not count water enhanced with things such as crystal light due to the preservatives. He said you can only count straight water as water. Even coffee and tea did not count.
    Your body 'counts' it. How does flavoring water suddenly make water not water? Your body certainly still sees the fluid as hydrating.
    Read the ingredients on the packages... water is water, if you add anything to it, it is no longer water
    This is all I say to you ma'am...first ingredient is...what?

coke_regular_ingredients.jpg
  • killagb
    Options
    I look at it like this. WATER is the only drink free calories, soda, milk, tea (mostly) has calories
    That is a valid reason to hydrate with water. It lacks calories, so it's good for sticking to your plan. BUT....all those other drinks do hydrate your body.
  • mshortcake622
    mshortcake622 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the ones who gave real answers and opinions and not sarcastic ones. Very enlightening! :smile:
  • killagb
    Options
    Basically all liquids (besides alcohol) count. So, water, tea, juice, milk, etc, etc, etc

This is not true. Milk and juice are actually foods. And caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee cause you to retain water. Water is only water if you are drinking water. Period. You can have other stuff, but to get the fully hydrated, toxin-flushing effects of water, then you still have to drink you 8 glasses (4 bottles) of water a day.
    You should brush up on your research....caffeine = a diuretic. It's not going to make you retain water...in fact it's the opposite, but thing is...the diuretic effect is not greater or even close to the hydrating effect of the drink it's contained in. Sodium will make you retain water. Drinking anything that contains water 'counts' to your body's hydration.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I used to not be much of a water drinker either. Now I LOVE ice water with fresh cut lemons in it. I pick up a large one at Sonic every morning. Nothing but fresh lemon to flavor it and I refill it all day. Now, all I drink is water except for a cup or two of coffee in the morning.

not trying to be rude, but why do you pick one up at sonic instead of just making your own?

I can't answer for her, but I know that I love to get water from Sonic because they have the best ice. I don't like to waste the cups, though, so now I just buy a big bag of Sonic ice and use that for my water at home. In a pinch, though, a cup of ice water from Sonic would be my first choice.
  • Tany27
    Tany27 Posts: 21
    Options
    I read somewhere that liquids count as water!!! so i would say...Water, Green Tea, Sparkling water, squash with no added sugar!!! Nd coffee and tea u cud possibly count...I dont see any harm....
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to not be much of a water drinker either. Now I LOVE ice water with fresh cut lemons in it. I pick up a large one at Sonic every morning. Nothing but fresh lemon to flavor it and I refill it all day. Now, all I drink is water except for a cup or two of coffee in the morning.

not trying to be rude, but why do you pick one up at sonic instead of just making your own?

I can't answer for her, but I know that I love to get water from Sonic because they have the best ice. I don't like to waste the cups, though, so now I just buy a big bag of Sonic ice and use that for my water at home. In a pinch, though, a cup of ice water from Sonic would be my first choice.

ahh I've never been to a Sonic....do they have that really cool crumbly ice? That stuff is awesome and I wish I had a maker that did that

I was just thinking that its a waste of cups/money if they charge for it (dont know if they do)...but hmmmm that ice....
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the ones who gave real answers and opinions and not sarcastic ones. Very enlightening! :smile:

Unfortunately , I fit into the sarcastic column and I apologize ,

I have just covered this ground before and wanted to quickly cut to what the overwhelming majority on the last thread expressed. My opinion :water is for more than hydration and the recommendation for 8 cups of water means water , adding flavorings doesn't detract from the hydration influence of liquid but can influence your body in other ways . Also , depending on the additive , the amount of water retained in the body will be influenced.
  • amymancha
    Options
    I count white and green tea as water also. But I only use it as 1/2 my water intake. The rest I drink water. I also don't use any sugar just sweetner.
  • mshortcake622
    mshortcake622 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Unfortunately , I fit into the sarcastic column and I apologize ,

I have just covered this ground before and wanted to quickly cut to what the overwhelming majority on the last thread expressed. My opinion :water is for more than hydration and the recommendation for 8 cups of water means water , adding flavorings doesn't detract from the hydration influence of liquid but can influence your body in other ways . Also , depending on the additive , the amount of water retained in the body will be influenced.

That was more directed to the "uhh waterrr" responses. Obviously I know pure water is the best, lol. Thank you very much for elaborating on that, very helpful.
  • snaptate
    snaptate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Water, counts as water...other liquids are just that..other liquids...you don't read about drinking at least 2 liters of coffee or tea...water=water
  • brewdays
    brewdays Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oh and Coors Light because its basically water and tastes like water