Men, how do you feel when you see women in the

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am surprised at some of these answers - at my gym there are tons of women in the weight room. There are probably at least 20 of us who are currently training for the upcoming competition and maybe 5 of those are serious competitors to win overall. I kinda wish I lived where some of you do - less competition. :smile:
    I see as many women on the squat racks (and using them) as I do men.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm the only girl in the weight room. Been there nearly 2 years and I could count on 1 hand the amount of times I've seen a woman in the whole gym (it's a bodybuilder / powerlifter type gym) Usually they're there to workout with the bf for like one session lol

I've never had any rude comments or weird looks or anything and they all pretty much know me anyway. I feel more comfortable working out with other guys than girls usually anyway, probably since we have more in common.
    I've had several guys say I'm doing well / lifting a lot too :happy:

The worst things I get are more ignorance than rudeness:
    A few guys try to insist on spotting my bf instead of me on bench, because he benches 140kg+
    "No I couldn't completely lift it off his chest if he lost all his strength, but could you?! When you can't manage a lift, you still put some effort in you know, I'm not lifting all of it!"
    The guys who say this aren't really big themselves, probably stronger than me no doubt, but not by much, not at all strong enough to lift it fully off him. I've never needed help with helping him either, and he's failed a last rep plenty of times! I don't spot negatives or 1RM's. I do have limits, and I know them thank you.

Another time I had a guy tell me I should use the lat pull down upstairs (machines area) as the one I was using (downstairs w/ free weights) was more for men, who want to get big muscles. As if a different lat pull down could create different sized muscles :/
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Meh. I make space for myself anywhere, whether the gym is full of meatheads or space aliens, doesn't matter. I **LOVE** it when there's a scrawny guy in there and I'm lifting more than him :bigsmile:

And when meatheads don't rack their weights, I call them out in front of their buddies. It's kinda funny actually because I'm a petite 5-foot-er b*itching out gorillas LOL

But seriously, I've found the men at my gym to be very supportive and good about sharing. Get in there, ladies!!!!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    When that girl who wears make up and did her hair is doing leg presses on the assisted pull up machine I'm like "wtf is she thinking?"

But when that one girl comes in who looks like she just rolled out of bed and doesn't give a duck, starts to perform snatches and C&J's with perfect form, i stand square in front of her, right hand over my heart and recite the pledge of allegiance.

awesome!
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    I am surprised at some of these answers - at my gym there are tons of women in the weight room. There are probably at least 20 of us who are currently training for the upcoming competition and maybe 5 of those are serious competitors to win overall. I kinda wish I lived where some of you do - less competition. :smile:

Yeah lots of super fit ladies in my weight room too, I chalk it up to being downtown in a big city.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    vaguely annoyed that she's statistically way more likely to get flirted with in between sets than I am.

You forgot to say "no homo"

lol, someone besides my husband and his best buddy says "no homo." And not always, when your lifting partner is your husband no one flirts with you.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of win...
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I am happy that women do not go into the weight room. I love being alone with the guys....I really do not like to share

Wow. Just wow.

Part of me wants to be snide, part of me is just blown away.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I find most guys at my gym to be supportive..esp last week when I wanted a free weight machine and this guy goes oh do you want me to un-rack them for you? and I paused so he assumed yes, but then when I took off the 45 pound plate by myself he went oh, I guess you got this.. I was like yup... I do!
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    If you don't know where to go or how to use something, ask a guy! They're always happy to help us out lol (whether we ask or not) :) Plus, I've gotten a lot of tips on how to use machines to the best of my advantage from them. So don't be intimidated! They're probably impressed you want their opinion

If I want help with my weight lifting or other fitness routine, I look it up, get a session with a trainer, or ask someone I know who knows what they're doing (e.g. friends who are certified personal trainers). Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I don't assume the average gym-monkey (myself included) knows all that much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    weight room?
    Women who lift heavy weights are hot!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Who gives a ****? Women and men have muscles and need to be worked out. This is 2012, anyone who thinks anything about gender in the weight room needs to re-think.

While I am in a pissed off mood, let me say that the whole "new rules" for women is insulting, I am the athletics director for a lot of women athletes and they train and always have as much as men.

Have you read the book? The "New Rules" for women are the same "New Rules" the author suggested for women, he just explains why women should lift like men.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I'm intimidated by the hot muscle guys that use the weight room around here so I stay out. Luckily they have another room off of the cardio room that I go in that has some strength training machines.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    While I am in a pissed off mood, let me say that the whole "new rules" for women is insulting, I am the athletics director for a lot of women athletes and they train and always have as much as men.

Have you read it? Don't judge if you haven't. I just started this program, and one of the first things he says in the book is that women can lift just like the men can. In fact, he even says that there are some areas where women have a bit of an advantage over men and he actually makes the workouts slightly more challenging in some ways for the women for that reason.
  • kimiec
    kimiec Posts: 62
    Options
    Well I am not a man but the place I worked a bit ago before I was layed off they had a gym and I was the only girl I would see most of the time in the gym so I was loving it because had the place to myself and those times when I did see the girls in the gym they didn't lift any weights. I was making great progress with weight lifting I was up to 20 and 30 lbs depending on the exercise. I have gone to gyms in my area and felt odd because someone was bound to be staring and if there is anything I hate is someone staring at me I don't care what the reason I hate it. If you have something to say please do so I don't keep wondering why your looking at me and if you have nothing to say then don't look. I think woman feel weird going into a weight lifting area because most of the time the people in there look like they know what there doing. Willing to bet half of them don't know anymore then anyone who walks in for there first time. Problem is most people don't know form when lifting weights. Heck never mind form some of those machines look like something from outer space.

I am sorry right now I can afford to join a gym and I don't have any weights to lift but I know I will get back into it as time goes on or should I say once I feel ready to pick weights back up. Because I was looking darn good when I was lifting.

So girls get out and lift and don't be afraid of lifting heavy it won't bulk you up like a man.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

The whole point of the book is that women should train like men. He just like you is sick of hearing that women should do lower weights and higher reps.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options

The whole point of the book is that women should train like men. He just like you is sick of hearing that women should do lower weights and higher reps.

Maybe the poster of the first comment didn't read the subtitle of the book "Lifting like a man, look like a godess"...
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    I am happy that women do not go into the weight room. I love being alone with the guys....I really do not like to share
    Lol! So do I, especially when I make some sets better then them... but!!!
    One comment here :

GUYS, move to another machine in between sets, I am power setting and you are ruining my pace by hanging there doing nothing but looking at yourselves!
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    If you don't know where to go or how to use something, ask a guy! They're always happy to help us out lol (whether we ask or not) :) Plus, I've gotten a lot of tips on how to use machines to the best of my advantage from them. So don't be intimidated! They're probably impressed you want their opinion

If I want help with my weight lifting or other fitness routine, I look it up, get a session with a trainer, or ask someone I know who knows what they're doing (e.g. friends who are certified personal trainers). Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I don't assume the average gym-monkey (myself included) knows all that much.

You're right. I've gotten some bad (unsolicited) advice from guys in the gym.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yeah lots of super fit ladies in my weight room too, I chalk it up to being downtown in a big city.

The surprising thing is that I am not in a big city. I actually live in a small town in an area where we have above average rates of inactivity, obesity and heart disease.