Men, how do you feel when you see women in the

Options

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Who gives a ****? Women and men have muscles and need to be worked out. This is 2012, anyone who thinks anything about gender in the weight room needs to re-think.

While I am in a pissed off mood, let me say that the whole "new rules" for women is insulting, I am the athletics director for a lot of women athletes and they train and always have as much as men.

Please let me remind you that most men and women aren't athletes and they don't train to compete and instead, they exercise for long term health and fitness benefits. Despite it being 2012 women are still portrayed by the press for their looks regardless of their achievements. Look at any newspaper and compare the amount of press coverage that men and women get in sport. For example female tennis players will be discussed looking at the kit they wear or the cellulite they might have rather than how many Gran Slams they have achieved. Providing women with the information they need to train at a safe intensity to achieve results isn't wrong. Maybe a book should be produced then for new 'rules for men' so they know what they are doing in the gym rather than reading fad magazines that give the same info over and over again. This sort of book helps women step away from fad fitness magazines. As a female PE teacher I am all for any information that helps any individual train safely and reap the rewards.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am surprised at some of these answers - at my gym there are tons of women in the weight room. There are probably at least 20 of us who are currently training for the upcoming competition and maybe 5 of those are serious competitors to win overall. I kinda wish I lived where some of you do - less competition. :smile:
    I see as many women on the squat racks (and using them) as I do men.

Yeah lots of super fit ladies in my weight room too, I chalk it up to being downtown in a big city.

The surprising thing is that I am not in a big city. I actually live in a small town in an area where we have above average rates of inactivity, obesity and heart disease.

Oooo sounds like you just got the right gym then! Here (in Toronto, Canada) the demographic shifts depending on location--- the gym downtown by my work is full of very fit young professionals, about 50/50 split between men and women, and the one near my house (not suburbs but not downtown) is a sausage-fest.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, I think "please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller, please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller...."

And when/if she goes for something that isn't the 2.5 lber to do curls or presses, I smile to myself and return to what I was doing. If she does, then she's out of my memory like any of the other men & women on the cardio machines lazily strolling along while Facebooking on their phones. :huh:
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    vaguely annoyed that she's statistically way more likely to get flirted with in between sets than I am.

You forgot to say "no homo"

perhaps he didn't! HA

Indeed it was conscious omission. I think my husband would object to such a qualifier. By contrast, I think he's probably ok with some inconsequential flirting in the weight room.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, I think "please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller, please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller...."

And when/if she goes for something that isn't the 2.5 lber to do curls or presses, I smile to myself and return to what I was doing. If she does, then she's out of my memory like any of the other men & women on the cardio machines lazily strolling along while Facebooking on their phones. :huh:

Hey! I MFP on my phone on the cardio machines. NOT Facebook thank you very much. (And yeah, it's after heavy lifting so I am admittedly very lazy when it comes to cardio).
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Who gives a ****? Women and men have muscles and need to be worked out. This is 2012, anyone who thinks anything about gender in the weight room needs to re-think.

While I am in a pissed off mood, let me say that the whole "new rules" for women is insulting, I am the athletics director for a lot of women athletes and they train and always have as much as men.

Please let me remind you that most men and women aren't athletes and they don't train to compete and instead, they exercise for long term health and fitness benefits. Despite it being 2012 women are still portrayed by the press for their looks regardless of their achievements. Look at any newspaper and compare the amount of press coverage that men and women get in sport. For example female tennis players will be discussed looking at the kit they wear or the cellulite they might have rather than how many Gran Slams they have achieved. Providing women with the information they need to train at a safe intensity to achieve results isn't wrong. Maybe a book should be produced then for new 'rules for men' so they know what they are doing in the gym rather than reading fad magazines that give the same info over and over again. This sort of book helps women step away from fad fitness magazines. As a female PE teacher I am all for any information that helps any individual train safely and reap the rewards.

Dizzy, I agree... but I still think that the majority of the world needs to re-think the subject of training, athletics and women.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Given that you have no idea what level that woman is at, or where she started out, I just don't understand why people look down on the "barbie dumbbells" so much. When I first started working out I would use cans of ravioli because it was what I had in the house to use. And that was HARD! I was that weak!! I now have sets of 2, 3, 5, 8, and 10 lb dumbbells at home, and I use what is appropriate for each exercise based on my current level of strength, buying a new, heavier set when my heavy ones start to feel light.

I get that some people just go for the light weights and do way too many reps with those and aren't making any progress, and that's obviously not desirable. But... you can't just assume that because she reaches for the "pink dumbbells" that she's someone who needs to be labeled as lazy. Everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately the fear of being judged this way keeps many people from starting at all. I'm still afraid of using the weights at the gym for this reason, so I do only cardio at the gym and I do strength at home.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Hey! I MFP on my phone on the cardio machines. NOT Facebook thank you very much. (And yeah, it's after heavy lifting so I am admittedly very lazy when it comes to cardio).

I MFP on the elliptical. It helps me pass the time. LOL
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    weight room?

When I see a woman go over to a bench or squat rack and do some serious lifting I think that's pretty damn hot. When I see women, or men for that matter, just half-assing it on some nautilus equipment or whatever then I think they should just go home and save their monthly fee.
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When that girl who wears make up and did her hair is doing leg presses on the assisted pull up machine I'm like "wtf is she thinking?"

But when that one girl comes in who looks like she just rolled out of bed and doesn't give a duck, starts to perform snatches and C&J's with perfect form, i stand square in front of her, right hand over my heart and recite the pledge of allegiance.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • kj2380
    Options
    I like hearing this because I am ALWAYS uncomfortable in the weight section of my gym. There are so many guys in the weight area and very few girls. Plus most of the guys at my gym are huge body builders types who basically hover over the equipment and socialize. Makes things even more uncomfortable.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    When that girl who wears make up and did her hair is doing leg presses on the assisted pull up machine I'm like "wtf is she thinking?"

But when that one girl comes in who looks like she just rolled out of bed and doesn't give a duck, starts to perform snatches and C&J's with perfect form, i stand square in front of her, right hand over my heart and recite the pledge of allegiance.

I agree with the make up... I seen women with a thick layer of make and hairsprayed hair in a gym.... I get this look on my face "Umm who are trying to impress....." and the one thing that trully bugs the crap out of me are those who wear G-strings and constantly pulling up thier pants to cover....
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    First want to address the "makeup" thing. I wear makeup EVERY day to work. I hit the gym right from work. I dont go home to change or wash off my makeup. I change either at work or once I get to the gym. My hair is always in a pony and I wear t-shirts and capri's to work out in. I dont go there to impress anyone...but I'm not gonna change who I am either.

Second, I've only been working out in a gym for about 6 weeks now. I haven't done anything with the free weights, but I do circuit machines that have weights attached (isnt that just as good?) and most often, I'm waiting for one of the guys to get off those machines so that i can use it! I combine that with my cardio on the treadmill or eliptical. To shake things up during the 6 days I work out, I attend a zumba class.

It is intimidating to head over to the free weight area because I dont feel "fit" enough to be in that area!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If they are lifting more than me I feel motivated to work harder.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    I love going into the weight room!! Again like most, I rarely see a woman in there and if I do they use a 2 1/2lb weight!!

Nothing better than lifting heavy, feeling strong and looking hot - not to mention when your lifting more than some of the guys in there :-) benching, bicep curls, deadlifting and squatting - bring it on baby!!
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    First want to address the "makeup" thing. I wear makeup EVERY day to work. I hit the gym right from work. I dont go home to change or wash off my makeup. I change either at work or once I get to the gym. My hair is always in a pony and I wear t-shirts and capri's to work out in. I dont go there to impress anyone...but I'm not gonna change who I am either.

Second, I've only been working out in a gym for about 6 weeks now. I haven't done anything with the free weights, but I do circuit machines that have weights attached (isnt that just as good?) and most often, I'm waiting for one of the guys to get off those machines so that i can use it! I combine that with my cardio on the treadmill or eliptical. To shake things up during the 6 days I work out, I attend a zumba class.

It is intimidating to head over to the free weight area because I dont feel "fit" enough to be in that area!

Sweetie - why do you not think your fit enough? I'm 260 lbs and still go in the weight room? Being fit is a small part, if you have weight to loose then weights will help you on your journey..............

PS LIFT HEAVY, DON'T BE SCARED!!
  • Kelly126
    Kelly126 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT to know.... I lift alot and I always feel strange about it...like a million eyes are watching.
  • jens1285
    jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I lift everyday! and yes i am one of those girls who goes to the gym after doing her nails. What's wrong with having cute nails at the gym? I don't really care what i look like there tho. However, what's wrong with a pretty girl lifting just cuz she is pretty doesn't make her to dumb to figure out how to lift weights.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    We do have a women only part in our gym that I use, but the equipment is not the same as in the weight room.

Those are actually against the law, one of my gyms had one so i would always set up to do dead-lifts in there. They would often ask me why i wasn't doing them in the free weight area but they could never kick me out.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options

Dizzy, I agree... but I still think that the majority of the world needs to re-think the subject of training, athletics and women.

There will always be a gender imbalance when it comes to training and women i think. What can be done is to educate girls and women that they are capable of achieving their goals despit their sex, but making sure they understand a safe way to go about...i mean not a quick fix, but something they can maintain for life. his is why i do the job i do, to try and inspire girls to enjoy exercise through a variety of different methods; whether that be team sports, individual sports, weight training etc. Too many women have had bad experiences of PE especially when this has been in front of males who torment girls because they are taught that is the 'norm'. You will never hear me say...'you threw that javelin like a girl...or girly throw'. NO! lol