Very low calorie diets and metabolic damage

Options

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Want to read more but have to work for now!

Great information!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump. very informative..
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What about health inside OP? Not a lot of mention on anything bar the heart. Bones and other organs?

Elaborate please.

VLCD and what if any damage may occur. Esp with women. Who seem to diet in this manner?

What about the effects of most people who yo-yo diet this way? What about the effect on their bodies?

Posts like your IMO give people the tools to think VLCD is a normal thing to do, rather than learning a lifestyle change.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What about health inside OP? Not a lot of mention on anything bar the heart. Bones and other organs?

Elaborate please.

VLCD and what if any damage may occur. Esp with women. Who seem to diet in this manner?

What about the effects of most people who yo-yo diet this way? What about the effect on their bodies?

Posts like your IMO give people the tools to think VLCD is a normal thing to do, rather than learning a lifestyle change.

Proof that intermittent spouts of vlcd is harmful to the body when structured to ensure adequate nutrition?

Here are some important points I think you glossed over when you initially read my posts:

"This isn't an argument for people to start following VLCD as most will fail miserably. Once you factor in the psychology aspects of them, they're just not right for most long term fat loss plans."

" In addition, the lower your energy intake is, the more careful you have to be about nutritional adequacy. Meaning it becomes very easy to shortchange yourself of particular facets of nutrition, which can ultimately tap into "health."

" But these experiments on the obese patients led to losses in other types of muscle... namely cardiac muscle, which plays an important role in being alive, obviously.

Point is, the more food you eat, the easier it is to cover all of your nutritional bases. You can still screw things up, but it's just harder. "

"It's just that those times and places don't match beginners who obviously need to learn nutrition fundamentals before they go experimenting with advanced dieting techniques. "

"Sure, most people will screw up VLCDs, as I mention in the original post. I also mention that it's not something that most beginners... or really most people in general... should be experimenting with. I agree with you on that. But to claim that in all cases they're bad and that in all cases they'll lead to muscle loss, a dead metabolism, harm, (insert any other myth here) is simply false.

While people deserve to be warned of potential hazards, they also deserve evidence-based truth... I hope you would agree with that. "

These words mean something. They weren't meant to be discounted to the point where my message is boiled down to "it's okay for pretty much anyone to do a vlcd and they will never cause harm regardless of how they're applied." I'm happy that you take a precautionary stance when it comes to this stuff. I'm also appreciative that you're helping put an 'exclamation point' on the warnings I made in my posts in this thread. Really I am.

If you looked at the totality of my posting here and elsewhere, you'd see that our philosophies are much closer than you think. But the point of this thread was to step outside the realms of alarmism and look at a touchy subject objectively. How people choose to utilize this information is up for debate.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think the term "starvation" gets taken too literally in the term "starvation mode". I can eat 1000 calories of real food (meat, poultry, eggs, greens, berries, veggies, full fat coconut milk and coconut products and full fat dairy products; real food doesn't contain ingredients; real food IS an ingredient.) and get more nutrition than 1800 calories of the healthiest version of the Standard American Diet (whole-grain, low-fat, low-sugar, boxed, packaged and processed pseudofood). I blow the USDA out of the water. I eat a high fat diet - 65%-70% of my calories maybe. The SAD was helping me lose weight but I wasn't gettting healthier (and couldn't tell where the weight was coming off) and it was making me diabetic. (Yes, I am a 110lb person who has Reactive Hypoglycemia - aka prediabetes. I have never been obese and was "overweight" briefly when the scales once topped around 140).

I do know this BUT THIS IS MY N=1. The number of calories I put in my mouth has no bearing on the number on the scale - there have been days where I have stuffed myself all day and days where I haven't been all that hungry - it's balances out. What I put in my mouth does have a bearing on the scale. But I'm no longer trying to lose weight (I think calories can matter for weight loss but I think there are better ways of losing fat and getting healthy than counting calories). I've been maintaining - with a Primal lifestyle - for a year and a half now. Maintaining 110-112lbs easily - not by counting calories but by eating real food (which in my world doesn't include birdseed, beans, refined sugar and commercial dairy). I dropped a total of 22lbs and 12lbs of that while eating a high fat diet and not counting calories (and already at a "healthy" weight of 120lbs) and doing very little exercise (no muscle loss).

The metabolic damage is already there. That is obesity. A broken metabolism; a loss in metabolic flexibility; an inability to access your own fat stores. Dropping the calories will help lose some pounds (the more you have to lose the more you will lose) and it will improve some health markers but it won't fix the damaged metabolism. Exercise can help but it alone won't fix a damaged metabolism. You have to change what you put in your mouth.

Stroutman: you actually helped lead me to the Primal Blueprint lifestyle. I kept asking you about the importance of whole grains and you just kept pushing calories. So I cut out the grains (and other things). It was the best thing I ever did for my body, mind, and health. Yes, 6 months of low-fat, low-sugar, lots of "healthy whole grain" calorie counting (and lots and lots of exercise ) helped me drop 10lbs. I went from a size 10-12 to a size 8-10. I went Primal and in 6 weeks I was a size 2 with a 7lb loss (and I was already at a "healthy" 120lbs when I went Primal). A year and a half later I'm still a size 2. You know what happens when I go really crazy on fat? I become hyper and my body gets really warm and I have to start moving. You know what happens when I go crazy on carbs (doesn't matter what type)? I become slow, lethargic, and I don't want to move. I want to lay down an take a nap.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Thank you for a detailed and nuanced discussion.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    There was a thread that was deleted yesterday where the original poster was asking if it was okay to consume something like 800 calories per day. I'm not sure exactly why it was removed, but it likely had something to do with person after person telling the OP that she was being stupid.

_______awesum post! but can you please link to your nutrition 101 article, i ran a search for it but only came across a protein article,
    Thanks!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm not allowed to link to external links. I think someone else posted a thread about the article. Let me go dig it up.
  • stroutman81
    Options
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    The problem is... we would in all likelihood agree in most if not all matters here.

However I can 100% say with all certainty that some will read you post and see VLCD as the way forward.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    What I am essentially saying - you over estimate the level of knowledge that most people understand about diet and nutrition. Speaking to people day to day shows me this and no doubt yourself. Most people will get it wrong.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • stroutman81
    Options
    What I am essentially saying - you over estimate the level of knowledge that most people understand about diet and nutrition. Speaking to people day to day shows me this and no doubt yourself. Most people will get it wrong.

Without a doubt. I've learned long ago that you can't help 'them all.' There's simply no chance of it. Too many people reasoning purely on emotion. Too many people out there simply looking for validation and justification for their screwed up perceptions and ideas.

I get it. I really do.

But I care about the people I can reach. The people who are interested in learning the facts. And in order to do that, while still helping the others, is to present the facts along with solid warnings... like I did here. If people choose to gloss over the warning... there's not much else I can do.

The alternative is to keep the facts to myself, when there was, at the time of writing this post, a ton of people who were very interested in learning the facts... and that doesn't seem fair either. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • jaskthotmail
    Options
    So, for 3 months I ate 800 calories per day. I also started walking which led to a very slow jog. When I lost about 30 pounds, I did research and realized that few calories is not good. So I started running and upped my calories to around 1,200. I'm down almost 70 pounds and now I just run & work out because I like to and eat what I want. I now eat from 1,000-3,000 calories per day. If I splurge and eat 3,000 calories per day on the weekends or holidays, can't I have days where I eat 800-1,500 and be healthy? I feel better than I ever have, I am maintaining my weight and losing a tiny here and there (mostly inches) and building muscle. I know I don't have the perfect diet but I am trying to be healthier with that. Isn't everything good in moderation?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Good to see this bump of a great thread by strout. Carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is currently an active thread where a guy did a fad diet, ate 800 calories a day, lost a bunch of weight fast, and he is STILL receiving congratulations. I did a thread about the double standard of roasting women who do the 800 a day and the congrats for a guy that does it.

it makes no sense. NONE
  • desivixen
    desivixen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Really great post!

Just the info I needed, I have an event on the 26th and another on the 15th of Jan so for the past month I've been working out consistently paired with a low-calorie diet. Not really doing the low calorie thing on purpose, just been more conscious about what I'm eating and keeping myself busy, not eating late, etc.

Since the end of November to now I've gone from 154lbs to 147lbs to 143 last week and this morning 140lbs. (combined with 30 day Shred, Jogging Cardio and pole classes). I'm about 5"4 I think

I plan on keeping it consistent like that for another couple of weeks but my question is when I want to get into a proper, realistic eating routine... how would I do it in a way that have me gain back everything I just loss? Would I just start introducing 5 small healthy meals at a time? ( i really cant do this now as 1. time and 2. I need to lose another 5lbs in less than two weeks which may be not realistic but anything close will be great!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am glad this got bumped as the thread was started before I joined, so tagging to read later.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think the term "starvation" gets taken too literally in the term "starvation mode". I can eat 1000 calories of real food (meat, poultry, eggs, greens, berries, veggies, full fat coconut milk and coconut products and full fat dairy products; real food doesn't contain ingredients; real food IS an ingredient.) and get more nutrition than 1800 calories of the healthiest version of the Standard American Diet (whole-grain, low-fat, low-sugar, boxed, packaged and processed pseudofood). I blow the USDA out of the water. I eat a high fat diet - 65%-70% of my calories maybe. The SAD was helping me lose weight but I wasn't gettting healthier (and couldn't tell where the weight was coming off) and it was making me diabetic. (Yes, I am a 110lb person who has Reactive Hypoglycemia - aka prediabetes. I have never been obese and was "overweight" briefly when the scales once topped around 140).

I do know this BUT THIS IS MY N=1. The number of calories I put in my mouth has no bearing on the number on the scale - there have been days where I have stuffed myself all day and days where I haven't been all that hungry - it's balances out. What I put in my mouth does have a bearing on the scale. But I'm no longer trying to lose weight (I think calories can matter for weight loss but I think there are better ways of losing fat and getting healthy than counting calories). I've been maintaining - with a Primal lifestyle - for a year and a half now. Maintaining 110-112lbs easily - not by counting calories but by eating real food (which in my world doesn't include birdseed, beans, refined sugar and commercial dairy). I dropped a total of 22lbs and 12lbs of that while eating a high fat diet and not counting calories (and already at a "healthy" weight of 120lbs) and doing very little exercise (no muscle loss).

The metabolic damage is already there. That is obesity. A broken metabolism; a loss in metabolic flexibility; an inability to access your own fat stores. Dropping the calories will help lose some pounds (the more you have to lose the more you will lose) and it will improve some health markers but it won't fix the damaged metabolism. Exercise can help but it alone won't fix a damaged metabolism. You have to change what you put in your mouth.

Stroutman: you actually helped lead me to the Primal Blueprint lifestyle. I kept asking you about the importance of whole grains and you just kept pushing calories. So I cut out the grains (and other things). It was the best thing I ever did for my body, mind, and health. Yes, 6 months of low-fat, low-sugar, lots of "healthy whole grain" calorie counting (and lots and lots of exercise ) helped me drop 10lbs. I went from a size 10-12 to a size 8-10. I went Primal and in 6 weeks I was a size 2 with a 7lb loss (and I was already at a "healthy" 120lbs when I went Primal). A year and a half later I'm still a size 2. You know what happens when I go really crazy on fat? I become hyper and my body gets really warm and I have to start moving. You know what happens when I go crazy on carbs (doesn't matter what type)? I become slow, lethargic, and I don't want to move. I want to lay down an take a nap.
    I USE to think like this as well. After being on VLCD for over a year. I use to think it was the best thing since slice bread, no pun intended. I thought I was getting the mental clarity, excellent performance in gym, until I switched to a carbohydrate based diet, I am not against VLCD, because they are great for precontest and photoshoots. However, for long term, everyday living? No. Anything believe 300g for me is VLC. That's a big jump from when I use to stress go over 30g.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    While I think this is great post, I can tell from some of the other posts on this thread that some will just see it as validation for staying on a vlcd. With all the great info it is sad to see that some people will only use it to keep under eating.