What was a your wake up call?!

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Going over the 200 lb mark. Enough was enough.
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We decided to get some life insurance and I was denied based solely on my weight. All my other tests came back great. I'm only 32. That day I contacted a personal trainer and I've been working out every day since December 7, 2011.
  • CAWStar
    Options
    Having only two pairs of jeans that fit and then going to the doctor and being told if my blood pressure didn't come down in three months I would have to start taking meds. He admitted most people that start taking bp meds don't ever come off. Screw that, I'm gonna lose this weight!!!
  • KNMD
    KNMD Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been steady gaining despite my best efforts for 6 years, I have never seen the scale drop, not even when doing the C2-5K program for 5 months. So I stopped exercising, since it didn't matter.

Then I got my Cholesterol back.... was 115 (during exercise), now 208! 3 more weeks until the recheck.
    I may not lose weight, but I won't shorten my life out of disappointment in my physical appearance. I'm now exercising 30 minutes almost EVERY day, and working hard to get that number down.
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I finally after years of dreaming that I would get into shape. My clinical depression was finally getting worse and worse. I started to see doctors and got more medication. They found I was very deficient in vitamin D and my Testosterone was way below normal. That visit to over the Testosterone was what did it for me. They did not say lose weight I just read about what could cause low Testosterone and weight was one of them as well as making me more depressed than normal. So I started to hit the gym at work and been going for almost 5 weeks strait nonstop. Have not had many down days and feel so good.:drinker:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    2 things

1. My wife telling me I was unattractive fat
    2. A picture where I looked like a fat walrus

What woman would want to be with that?
    BING!
    Wake Up Call!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    A picture I saw of myself at Easter where I weighed 190lbs. I couldn't believe how big I was.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    deciding i wanted to join the police force and realising id have to change a lot of things.
  • mkinzalow
    Options
    My wake up call was when at the age of 21 the doctor told me that I have high blood pressure.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    After I found out that I had sleep apnea and had to wear a CPAP machine. After a few weeks of that- I snapped and started to lose weight. I joined a gym and literally started walking at a 2.5 on the treadmill for 10 mins and used the elliptical for 5. I thought I was going to die.....but I kept pushing and working hard. After around 7 to 8 months using the CPAP machine and losing the first 75ish lbs, I was able to finally get rid of it! I was motivated to become healthy and athletic. Here I am almost 2 years later still working towards my goal and loving the healthier life I have chosen to live! :)
  • coquette87
    Options
    Being home at Thanksgiving and seeing a picture of me and my horse together. I had a muffin top and a belly overhanging my pants. I tried dieting on and off again since then, but just wasn't in the right head space to do it. Jan 9 marked the beginning of my new healthy life style though, and I'm loving it!
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had a rare form of Cushings Disease that caused me to put on 30lbs a month for over a year. When I finally got to an Endocronologist and she told me what was wrong... I was in surgery for a Pituitary Brain Tumor. This was six years ago. I am just now strong enough to begin to get healthy. I am Adrenal Insufficant from the surgery because they took the tumor and my Pituitary Gland. This gland is the master gland to Blood Pressure, Sugar, Thyroid, Balance, and hormones. I began this new journey to healthy living of diet and exercise November 15th 2011. I am so grateful to be alive and now have energy to loose the weight.

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    People at work kept putting their hand on my tummy and asking me if I was pregnant. And then one patient straight out asked me "boy or girl?", I was totally caught off guard and the next day I hit the gym.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old was playing around with the camera and was taking pictures of me. I usually never take pics of me... when I saw them I was horrified!!
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    1. Seeing a picture of myself lifting my kids out of the pool.

2. A student last year wondering aloud what I would look like if I still had a skinny face.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Air National Guard. Max waist limit is 39 inches. I'm a touch over 40. Tried to use a Preparation H and saran wrap trick to suck up the last inch before testing.

That did it for me. I felt ridiculous.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I couldn't play with my little girl because it took a forklift to get me off the floor and the doctor told me to start planning my funeral because in about 5 years (at that point), my body was likely to shut down. That was in 2003 and I haven't looked back.
  • OliviaJoey1
    Options
    I was driving and being so short I sit rather close to the steering wheel and my belly touched it. I have no energy, I saw my daughter following the same steps I was - ice cream, cokes (and lots of them), eating whatever whenever I wanted. and I need new clothes, we are going to Disney in October and I really dont want to be walking around with 40 extra pounds!
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1 High blood pressure
    2 Type II diabetes
    3 Feeling waaaaay older than what I am

2272382.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Seeing 200 on the scale at my doctor's office.
    On a 5' frame, that's way too much weight and I'd been in denial about my body for a while. So I got up and got a gym membership and here I am, about 2 months later and 15 pounds lighter! :>