What was a your wake up call?!

Options

Replies

• porter75
    Options
    I'm 6'5" and 224 pds and have always carried 10 to 15 extra pounds and never thought much of it. My dad who is average weight or under just had 2 small strokes and a heart attack and had several blocked arteries, he is only 18 yrs older. I am 36 now and want to avoid his fate. Sugar I can do without but I love beef and other high fat foods so I'm working on portion control, single servings instead of 2 to 3 servings per meal. I recently joined a gym and loving the feeling I get from working out and the energy I get from not over eating.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    - One of my really good friend's exact words were: "You used to be hot!"
    - My 7yr old asks me why my belly is so fat & jiggly
    - I saw pictures from this past Thanksgiving & Christmas.. they were horrifying to say the least.

It's time. It's time to be "me" again. I haven't always been fat. I weighed 107 when I was 16 (when my husband & I started dating).. Jeans size back then: 00 <-- yep, that's a DOUBLE ZERO. I'm 28 now & I will never (and don't want to) be that small again, but I do want to be pre-pregnancy weight again (137).. I WILL GET TO MY GOAL WEIGHT.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's a bit TMI but the wake up call this time around was getting cramps in my back and lats because I was reaching too far around myself to wipe after a crap.

There's always been a slow-burn "hey, lose weight, fat *kitten*" voice in my head but when I realised that if I got any bigger I'd need a stick to wipe my *kitten* then it was time to act.

Sorry if you're eating lunch!
  • MrCaleb
    Options
    My biggest kick in the *kitten* was seeing 240 on the scale. 10 years ago I was 160.
    Also looking at pictures of me and seeing man boobs through an XL shirt.
    Another wake up was when going hunting and my 58 year old dad out walking me.
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    almost hitting 250
  • batesss
    Options
    When I bought a pair of jeans in the same size as a friend of mine who had just told us she was over 200 pounds. I alway considered myself much smaller than her. I then stepped on a scale and realized that I too was over 200 pounds, which I never expected and decided that it was time to lay off the ice cream and donuts.
  • Danielle8706
    Danielle8706 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine was looking at my old photos with my daughter and she point to me and asks who that was I told her it was me and she said " Momma that's not you she's not fat" :( broke my heart she wasn't trying to be mean but i was probably 130 in the picture and that was in 2006 now im 210.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    the *kitten* wiping extension idea is just too funny. well done rationale.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with sleep anpea. It can put stress on your heart, and I am already at increased risk from genetics. I have to be on oxygen at night. I have borderline high cholesterol. My self-image was horrible. I constantly told myself how gross I was and how lazy, how horrible of a mom and wife. I don't have a mirror in my bedroom, only in the bathrooms because I hated to look at myself. I have only lost 10 lbs so far, but the mental shift has been amazing!!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    1. Not being able to play semi-pro paintball at the level I had worked to hard to achieve (D2 for those in the know)
    2. My "teacher clothes" not fitting as loosely as they had in the past.
    3. I felt myself...jiggling (and not in a good way) when my car hit bumps in the road.
  • akgerweck
    akgerweck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose weight becuase they say that a healthy body can help lead to a healthy mind and spirit. I suffer from Global Transient Amnesia after suffering a Dissociative Fugue last year. I desperately want to get healthy to try to help with the symptoms. It's not a cure all, but it should help. I'm putting my story out there for the public to read about in hopes that others will realize that things like this happen outside of Lifetime movies and badly written soap operas. If anyone is interested in my story, you can visit my personal blog at http://www.amnesiacsjourney.blogspot.com/. The more people read my story, the more people know the truth. That's all I can ask.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend god a new job that changed our morning routine.

i drop him off at the station and have a spare hour before i start work.

i decided to join the gym and go every morning, and the rest is history.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    - GAINING weight on a weight-loss program at work (got to my highest weight ever of 382 - being that close to 400 was really scary)
    - not being able to walk a flight of stairs without resting
    - knee pain that won't heal (ya think?!)

dropped 40# :happy: , gained 25 back :cry: and am back at it ... working on an eating plan I can LIVE with for the rest of my life, and do some walking and water walking even if it's just 15 min a day.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    realizing that for nearly 4 years i spent every free moment on the couch or baking cookies and eating them on the couch, paying for a gym membership i used exactly once, then meeting someone new who, even though they were really slim, loved me and made me feel great about myself. so up off my butt i went and learned why sweating is awesome and why it's even more awesome when crushing your significant other is no longer a risk factor in your relationship.
  • Kizzle87
    Options
    It's a bit TMI but the wake up call this time around was getting cramps in my back and lats because I was reaching too far around myself to wipe after a crap.

There's always been a slow-burn "hey, lose weight, fat *kitten*" voice in my head but when I realised that if I got any bigger I'd need a stick to wipe my *kitten* then it was time to act.

Sorry if you're eating lunch!

I love this!
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    Mine was kind of a vanity reason. It was this past new years eve, and my husband and I had plans to go out, but at the last minute I started crying because I felt to fat to be going out. Also, in December I pretty much stopped having sex with my husband because I didn't want him to see me naked. It was at that point that I said enough is enough, I want to do this for me, so I can stop messing up things with others lives. Also my birth control implanon, may not be as effective in overweight women, and after a recent pregnancy scare I said, thats it I need to know this thing works!
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    1. When my pants wore through between the legs from them rubbing when I walk.
    2. When my jeans tore in the booty when I kneeled to changed my sons diaper and tore on the belt loop trying to pull them up.
    3. After losing the above pants, I had to revert to my maternity pants because I had no money and no stores near me carried my size.
    4. I want more babies and pregnancy is scary at 362.

BTW! I am pregnant and losing weight through this pregnant with support from my OB and nutritionalist. :)
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The final straw for me was during my last pregnancy seeing friends who were also pregnant getting these cute maternity pics of their cute bellies. No way in H*ck would I do that....made me sad that I never got to look "cute pregnant". Hubby & I are thinking of just one more try for a girl (we have 3 boys), but I want to be cute pregnant and get those pics. Not to mention, I'd like to be able to shop for clothes without being totally depressed about the sizes I wear.
  • mama_beth
    Options
    Seeing my reflection sideways in a mirror while trying to put on a tight pair of jeans and realizing that my gut is bigger than my boobs...and I have boobs
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    -Hitting 300lbs. I could not believe I got that big. I have been big all my life but that just scared the crap outta me.
    -I thank God that at my last doctors appointment everything was normal. No diabetes, thyroid, high blood pressure or cholesterol. It is surprising though because I was so heavy and because all of those run in my family. I didn't want to join the rest of my family.
    -Planning my sons 3rd birthday. We decided that we are taking him to LegoLand in San Diego and I want to be able to do things and I want to fit on the rides. His birthday is March 25th. I have almost 2 months to get more of this weight off.