What's your body fat %?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
What should it be?

I just found out for the first time ever what mine is...33%. How bad is that?

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Mine is somewhere in the realm of 17-20%.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've tried to calculate mine on several different websites, and they all give me a different number. 27%, 33%, & 41% (which can't be possible, because I'm not obese.)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've tried to calculate mine on several different websites, and they all give me a different number. 27%, 33%, & 41% (which can't be possible, because I'm not obese.)
    Yeah, I get some crazy numbers. One said I had 13% body fat. Yeah... no.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Try a bodyfat analyzer...they are no bod pod but IMO they are better than the skin fold test or the web calculators.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I went to a website and it asked my the measurements of my hips, waist, wrist and forearm and gave me a fat % of 25.......strange.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Women should be 25% or below to be considered in normal range. Men should be 15% or below to be considered normal range. My body fat is currently 14.9% and I get it tested monthly by a trainer at my gym. Most personal trainers can measure your skin folds and calculate it for you. There are some home devices as well.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I started out at 33% and worked my way down to 17%.
    My goal is 14%.

I don't want to get leaner than 14%; that looks freaky to me - unhealthy.
    I see other guys who carry it fine, but not me.

You can check your body fat here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I went to a local University and did the BodPod, lol! I was at 19.5%. I look at myself and I don't believe that but it's suppose to be pretty accurate.
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    mine is 23%
    average is about 22-25% but it all depends on age, ethnicity etc etc.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    23-24 % I'd like to get it somewhere in 18-20%

Its fun to do the math too.
    148 lbs with 24% fat = 35.5 lbs of fat, 112.5 lean muscle/ bones and what ever. Nice to keep perspective, Granted I shouldn't aim to lose 35 pounds, gotta have fat to protect all the organs and such.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    21% ... I look healthy.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I asked one of the doctors (I work at a hospital) about this, cause at the gym the machine they have said 37%. That machine only takes into consideration, height, weight, age, and sex. The one I found on the web also asked for my waist and wrist measurements result was 29%. The doc told me that the website was definitely asking for more information and therefore a more realistic number. Plus I also recall having someone in the diabetic clinic (during a biggest loser challenge) use their machine and that also told me 29%.
  • Rmd081808
    Options
    I checked mine not long ago and am down to 34 which is good compared to the 39 it was before i lost 40 lbs
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    According to an article from Medscape.com, the American Dietetic Association recommends that men have 15-18% body fat and women have 20-25% body fat. Healthy male athletes might be as low as 5-12% body fat, and healthy female athletes could be as low as 10-20%.

Dr. C. Everett Koop's site, ShapeUp.com, breaks down healthy body fat ranges by both gender and age. Men under 39 years of age should have 8-19% body fat, and women under 39 years of age should have 21-32%. Older men may range from 11% to 24%, and older women may range from 23% to 35%.

Health Check Systems quotes the American Council on Exercise and says men's body fat should be 6-25%, and women's should be 14-31%.

From a quick google search....
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use one of those crazy IronMan scales that calculate all kinds of things via my feet. :) And it says I am 23-25% depending on the day...
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Mine is 10%
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think mine is less than 20%
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    30.4 on Jan 1 and now at 27.1 - hope that trend continues :)
  • melrose09
    Options
    Some people don't believe me, but I just got a 7 point skin fold test done 3 times by 2 different trainers this week and the average of the 3 tests was 10.5%, but I usually say 12%. With the way my body works, I'd have to get to around 8% to look like most women do at 12%. Time for this lady to fatten up a bit so I can carry a baby again :)
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have used three different websites.
    On healthy forums I got 27%, on free dieting I got 19.7% and on scientific psychic I got 22.5%. So I am thinking I am between 20-25%
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!