What's your body fat %?

Options

Replies

• Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Damn, everybody is saying that this http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html is accurate...then I'm really 50.2%?! I'm gonna cry...I may weight 180 at 5'2 but no really? 50%?! Everyone tells me I don't look like someone of 180 at all. O.o

Not sure about doing it online, but I would recommend you pay a visit to biokineticist for accurate information. Worth it!! :wink:
  • piari
    piari Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    According to the machine at my gym, I'm at 18%.

EDIT - The website above gives me 16.8% though. Which is right, then?
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Here is a free site to check body fat
    Here:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Mine is 17% - down from 33%

I used the hand held analyzer at my gym and it gives me a 26% one day then the next 30% then the next 24% I hate that!
    4 or 5 months ago I got it measured at my docs where he put sticky pads with wires on my foot and my hand and I don't remember where else. At that time I was @ 24%, using the website it said I am @ 20% now. I hope it is rite, that would make me very happy as I have been working really hard to increase my LBM.
  • BigDaddy822
    Options
    Oh
  • BigDaddy822
    Options
    I am at 11-12% I want to get down to 5 or 6%

competing?

Oh maybe if I get the time. Really I just want to look good for summer!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I'm happy with my progress, so that's all that counts. ScientificPsychic has me at about 19% now... if I plug in my starting stats, I would have been 33%.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    26.9% from that website.

I wouldn't mind getting down to 20%, but not too much lower.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    last time i did it it was 14% but ive since gone down...id say 12% maybe....i don't wanna say lower than that cause i store a bit of chub in my *kitten* lower back even though my stomach is leaner....i was 24% body fat in my before pictures. thats my "natural" body fat percentage if i don't exercise and eat better.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Women should be 25% or below to be considered in normal range. Men should be 15% or below to be considered normal range. My body fat is currently 14.9% and I get it tested monthly by a trainer at my gym. Most personal trainers can measure your skin folds and calculate it for you. There are some home devices as well.
    That is incorrect.
    A healthy range for women under 40 is 21-33% and a healthy range for men under 40 is 8-19%
    asset.aspx?id=11

I'm right around 23% (that's basically in the middle of what the scale, calipers, and measurements put me at, since all have a margin of error of up to a few % points). At my heaviest, I was close to 56%.
  • davecreed
    Options
    not trying to be negative...but just an FYI....guys always seem to do this...but if you cant see your abs...your over 16% body fat....unless the only place you store in your mid section...its possible you have lots of water retention...but lol...id say get hooked up to some electrodes....not the paddle kind...like the 4+ point electrode body fat analyzer, cause there are def. some errors on body fat % (im only talking to the guys...i used to do body fat measuring at a gym and guys always says their 10, 12, 14....and they end up being 18, 20, 22) again, not trying to be negative, just pointing out that I can see for sure that there a lot of inaccurate numbers and its a good idea to have an accurate body fat % to better monitor your progress...not trying to be a **** or anything.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Women should be 25% or below to be considered in normal range. Men should be 15% or below to be considered normal range. My body fat is currently 14.9% and I get it tested monthly by a trainer at my gym. Most personal trainers can measure your skin folds and calculate it for you. There are some home devices as well.
    That is incorrect.
    A healthy range for women under 40 is 21-33% and a healthy range for men under 40 is 8-19%
    asset.aspx?id=11

I'm right around 23% (that's basically in the middle of what the scale, calipers, and measurements put me at, since all have a margin of error of up to a few % points). At my heaviest, I was close to 56%.

If this is correct, then my scale isn't just inaccurate, it is wayyy off. It says I'm at 32% right now and still look pregnant in my tummy and have a ton of fat so I know that can't be healthy... I wish I could get real measurements done :/
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That is incorrect.
    asset.aspx?id=11

If this is correct, then my scale isn't just inaccurate, it is wayyy off. It says I'm at 32% right now and still look pregnant in my tummy and have a ton of fat so I know that can't be healthy... I wish I could get real measurements done :/
    This is the range supported by the American College of Sports Medicine, World Health Organization, and the National Institutes of Health.
    That being said, your waist-to-hip ratio is also an indicator of overall health so, if you carry most of your weight in your midsection, you still may be at risk even if your total body fat is at the top of the acceptable range.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Don't stress you will get it lower if you stay focused. Don't get too hung up on numbers and percents...just continue to eat right and workout. :)

I haven't been measured in a few years, but I am about the same size I was the last time I was measured and mine was around 30%...I hope to lower it though and I have a feeling I will if I continue to eat right and exercise. :)
    The guy at the gym told me it should be around 18-20%...but even at my smallest I don't think it was ever that low... I have done a bit of research on various sites as well...and from the sounds of it women should be around 20-25% on average...we naturally pack on a bit more fat than men... Athletes percentage is a lot lower though.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That is incorrect.
    asset.aspx?id=11

This is the range supported by the American College of Sports Medicine, World Health Organization, and the National Institutes of Health.
    That being said, your waist-to-hip ratio is also an indicator of overall health so, if you carry most of your weight in your midsection, you still may be at risk even if your total body fat is at the top of the acceptable range.

Yeah, I am hoping to get it down.. It will be the last to go, I am sure. I guess body fat% accuracy of my scale does not really matter now as long as I see the numbers go down, I am happy. I can always worry about accuracy later once I am around my goal weight, I think ;)
  • davecreed
    Options
    I dont care what any experts say...I need/love/want some extra fat percentage on my girlfriend to fill out the front and back lol :P just exercise and try and make better food choices and look in the mirror. forget the scales and fat calipers...theyre only good for monitoring you diet, not for monitoring your happiness.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm at the high end of the overfat category. But it has come down from the obese category, and I'm working on it! Every day!!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Coming out of basic training in the army i was 195 lbs and 20% body fat. If someone is trying to tell me that "normal" for a man is below 15%, that person has a highly distorted view of what "normal" is....

Maybe "socially desired is below 15%" would be more accurate and I'd agree with that but "normal" guys don't run around with six packs visible.
  • melrose09
    Options
    Coming out of basic training in the army i was 195 lbs and 20% body fat. If someone is trying to tell me that "normal" for a man is below 15%, that person has a highly distorted view of what "normal" is....

Maybe "socially desired is below 15%" would be more accurate and I'd agree with that but "normal" guys don't run around with six packs visible.

According to ACSM, the 50% percentile for men age 20-29 is 16.6% bf.
  • melrose09
    Options
    Recent body compistion scan at a medical clinic put me at 26% down from 34%(my estimated over a year ago). My goal was 25% so guess I need to pump a bit more iron LOL

I REALLY want to get this done! I'll see if my doc will/can do it. We have to see Navy Medicine and our facility is not the greatest.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I am at 11-12% I want to get down to 5 or 6%

competing?

Oh maybe if I get the time. Really I just want to look good for summer!

Just curious, that's usually where most men compete at. I'm at 13% now going to do a recomp over summer get down around 10% or lower, then bulk (clean bulk) next winter. would like to end up at 200 lbs at 12% bf (probably have to cut again in spring though)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!