Paleo diet?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes, we do know that diet, modern medicine, and hygiene are suspected as the main reasons for increased life expectancy in recent history. The point I'm trying to make is that there's no need for the Paleo diet or any other fad diets for healthy individuals. Fads are attractive because people feel they're partaking in a special regimen that's only backed up by cherry picked science. When you read about it a nice book written by someone with phd next to their name it sounds even better. Often these diets work in spite of themselves simply because they get people to eat better and less than they were before. While this seems like a positive thing it's really not. It purveys false information. It's like balancing a ball on your head and crossing the street and then proclaiming that's the best way to get a ball across street.

Best post in this entire thread.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    diets come and diets go, books are written, seminars heard.......eat healthy, we are omnivors...eat what makes you feel good and gets you where you need to be...there are no experts
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of people that have reported improvement in various digestive some autoimmune disorders by going paleo. My wife has had some digestive issues and is finishing up a month of 90% paleo. In the month I think she has gained a couple of pounds and she doesn't feel much better than when she started. But it did reduce blood sugar swings and she did feel kind of ill after eating a meal that would have been typical prior to her paleo trial.

I tried it but bailed in less than a week. It is comparatively difficult and expensive diet to implement if you eat out frequently. But if you're a carnivore you'll love the diet. Even though I ate a lot of vegetables It did not provide me with enough "regularity", and frankly, I didn't care for the menu. I'd rather count calories and eat what I wanted within reason, a little junk might not be good for the body, but man is it good for the soul. I have since considerably reduce my carb and wheat intake, but mainly because it helps me control my appetite better, not because i feel better.

I do believe paleo can be effective at weight loss with just a little effort to stay away from too many nuts. there's nothing magic about the weight loss, though. Because of the macro profile it's fairly effective at controlling your appetite and it creates an environment conduicive to a natural caloric deficit.

I would say if you're intrigued by it, or affected by any digestive/autoimmune disorder it's worth a shot. If you otherwise feel good and calorie counting works for your weight loss, I see no compelling reason to switch.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I have since considerably reduce my carb and wheat intake, but mainly because it helps me control my appetite better, not because i feel better.

I've noticed that my carb intake is now reduced after having tried paleo. I cut out pasta for the most part. And I've never been a big bread eater. Sugar is definitely my weakness. I doubt I'd be happy going a day without a dessert. Fruit does help with that though.

Cutting wine out of my diet was a huge factor in stabilizing my diet. I tried to do paleo while keeping up my drinking habit, that was just nonsense. Cutting out the liquid sugar did wonders.

Paleo may help some as a learning process maybe? Or just an experiment. That's what it was for me. Go for it if you're interested.

But, I think it's foolish to think paleo is a superior diet for humankind. Because a few good things happen doesn't mean it's the panacea for the "modern" diet.
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    bump
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm more on the primal lifestyle, and I love it. I think one has to commit to it long term to enjoy the benefits it can offer. And I think the primal/paleo lifestyle either works for a person or it doesn't. For me, it was like a light switch. I stopped craving sweet stuff, had a ton of energy, and I felt better almost immediately. I didn't eat a lot of grains to begin with, which probably helped.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I see two sides to this diet. One if it seems impossible to do you won't stick with it. But I have heard people say that giving up grains and dairy are good for digestion and allergies if you have them. Legumes on the other hand are good protein. So hard to say.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering my question. :smile:
  • GiddyNope
    Options
    I think the original comment about life expectancy was pulled from some random Internet look-up or something. It's a highly uneducated assumption with zero merit and no factual evidence. As much as I enjoy helpful comments and feedback, these ridiculous statements should be policed. Didn't your mother ever tell you to not believe everything you read on the internet???
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So it's pretty obvious to most that we're not living 150,000 years ago. And no, the life expectancy isn't 40 today..it's almost double that!!! Seriously....we have medicine, remember??? Get that???

The formula is pretty simple--eat right, exercise, hydrate, and have a solid emotional balance. The last one is almost as important as the others. I've seen way too many friends focus on all the right food and exercise, but give up on a solid emotional foundation. Disaster in waiting! I was there once!

Who cares if you burn 5000 calories, eat fruits, veggies, and grains every day when you can't manage your emotions or maintain normal relationships?? Good health is a good life balance. Good luck!

Yes. People often forget to take their of their mental and emotional health.