Eat as natural as possible!!!

Options

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Can I see some of those statistics of which you speak? Apparently I'm beating the odds, I'd love to know by how much. ;-)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    A little bit confused where are going with this then? Just stating that some people fail at losing weight?

Just showing there is more to weight loss than Calories IN, Calories OUT.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    A little bit confused where are going with this then? Just stating that some people fail at losing weight?

Didn't you just say that people fall off the wagon and start eating more calories, and THAT'S when they fail? So doesn't that mean it IS calories in vs. calories out?
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yeah but the most important aspect of weight loss is adherence to the plan. And even if you hit goal, you have to stay on a maintenance plan or you regain everything back.

Even with my crap I am at over 100g protein per day, so with the combination of the crap I love and all that filling protein, I'm sticking to my plan just fine. ;-)

Exactly. Many people if they take out all processed foods they would quit after a week. Me included. Can't and dont want to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time.

Okay but the reality is that the majority of all dieters fail in the long term.

Fad dieters yes, people who think they have to have to treat it as if they eat one cookie they fail, yes. But people who treat it as a lifestyle change and Incorporate foods they enjoy with healthy and unhealthy foods, will make it. I am one of those I have kept my excess weight off even though I go on full diet breaks and vacations. When I was dumb and like 15 i tried low carb, south beach, and the iron fist ways. Gave up very quickly because I was miserable. I found what works and wont gain in back

Yeah but the majority of people who follow the same approach as you fail also. So if certain foods are addictive and one tries to keep them in their diet, chances are they'll sooner or later stop moderating and start overeating again.

So... what are you doing to be different from everyone else? Just curious.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out.

It is the BEST key to good health though :drinker:

that's kind of a myth. it works for the most part but if you're eating only crap, it really won't get all the weight off you. they have to be SMART calories

Nope. Plenty of people on here and prove it true. Laws of thermodynamics

True. You can eat total crap, but if you're eating less calories than you're burning, you'll loose weight. You might wind up with a heart condition or something, but you'll be skinny. The best thing for your HEALTH though, is to eat clean and unprocessed foods full of nutrients, not chemicals and preservatives.

Health and weight loss is NOT the same thing. That is what I am pointing out.

Very, very true!!!
  • grinch031
    Options
    Can I see some of those statistics of which you speak? Apparently I'm beating the odds, I'd love to know by how much. ;-)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070404162428.htm

To me what I see as a big problem is most people don't want to give up the foods that caused them to be obese in the first place. That's why I agree natural eating is a great step in the right direction.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

People don't understand the Thermodynamics of fat loss and how all calories are not created equal.

**fixing typos***
  • grinch031
    Options

Didn't you just say that people fall off the wagon and start eating more calories, and THAT'S when they fail? So doesn't that mean it IS calories in vs. calories out?

Calories IN, Calories OUT is not a key to weight loss, it is a model of the energy distribution throughout the body.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Now I will agree that people with cleaner diets probably have better health indicators and less risk factors for various diseases, but weightloss is all about the calories.

Yes.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out.

It is the BEST key to good health though :drinker:

that's kind of a myth. it works for the most part but if you're eating only crap, it really won't get all the weight off you. they have to be SMART calories

Nope. Plenty of people on here and prove it true. Laws of thermodynamics

The quality is much more important than the quantity.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/#axzz1lM7hzumx
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1lM8lRljX

Sure you can lose weight cutting calories but then what? You will have to count calories for the rest of your life to keep the weight off. I have yet to meet someone who has lost weight and kept it off for years and years by counting calories.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Not really how you are showing that at all. You are saying dieters fail because of lack of will power

Calories in vs calories out is still what it comes down to.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Not really how you are showing that at all. You are saying dieters fail because of lack of will power

I think when it comes to willpower, they need to pick quality foods and the quantity part will take care of itself. Nobody gets fat eating natural foods, unless they sit there eating jars of cashews all day long.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Calories are not created equal and burn at different rates...........and insulin production plays a HUGE role in this.......

As outlined in this study where 2 different sets of people snacking on different foods and some gained weight at a much higher percentage............

http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/10/20/not-all-calories-are-equal-indeed/
  • Bikini27
    Options

I think when it comes to willpower, they need to pick quality foods and the quantity part will take care of itself. Nobody gets fat eating natural foods, unless they sit there eating jars of cashews all day long.

OK, so you don't believe in fast foods and processed foods, which is the premise of the post.

Are there any cheat days?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I keep saying this time and time again..........

Not only are all calories NOT equal, they are really irrelevant, especially when discussing eating natural, whole foods.

Quality matters over Quantity any and every day.
    Calories – Not Created Equal and Perhaps Not All That Relevant
    Many diet and exercise programs are based on us “counting calories” and assuming all calories are created equal. This goes back to the 1870’s and the scientific finding of the First Law of Thermodynamics. We learn from Wikipedia, “The first law of thermodynamics states that energy can be transformed, i.e. changed from one form to another, but cannot be created or destroyed. It is usually formulated by stating that the change in the internal energy of a system is equal to the amount of heat supplied to the system, minus the amount of work performed by the system on its surroundings.” This theory was applied to the human being. Resulting in the myth that whatever calories we consume through eating we need to burn through activity otherwise these calories will store as fat and we will gain weight.

For the rest of the article, click here. http://brwellness.blogspot.com/2012/02/calories-not-created-equal-and-perhaps.html
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Okay, I've been working to wrap my brain around this, and I think I've finally got it. Cut out the foods that made you fat but don't go on a diet, even though by cutting out certain foods you ARE on a diet. Calories in vs. calories out doesn't matter even though you lose weight when your body burns more than you consume and gain if you fall off the wagon and eat too much. Up is down and left is right. Got it.
  • Bikini27
    Options
    Okay, I've been working to wrap my brain around this, and I think I've finally got it. Cut out the foods that made you fat but don't go on a diet, even though by cutting out certain foods you ARE on a diet. Calories in vs. calories out doesn't matter even though you lose weight when your body burns more than you consume and gain if you fall off the wagon and eat too much. Up is down and left is right. Got it.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • grinch031
    Options

OK, so you don't believe in fast foods and processed foods, which is the premise of the post.

My philosophy is you need to take the path of least resistance. I had an enormous addiction to refined carbs, so I removed them almost completely. Since I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis and moderate portions anymore, I don't really think about them too much. I haven't gone full natural (like I still eat processed meats), because I found that I didn't need to go to that extent. Although most of the foods I eat now are perishable and I spend a lot of time cutting up produce. Its a big improvement over what I was doing before.

I do have cheat days every week or two, but I've met people where a cheat day makes them fall off the wagon. But I think the key is to have those go-to natural foods that you can eat when you're really hungry and aren't loaded with empty calories.
  • Bikini27
    Options

My philosophy is you need to take the path of least resistance. I had an enormous addiction to refined carbs, so I removed them almost completely. Since I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis and moderate portions anymore, I don't really think about them too much. I haven't gone full natural (like I still eat processed meats), because I found that I didn't need to go to that extent. Although most of the foods I eat now are perishable and I spend a lot of time cutting up produce. Its a big improvement over what I was doing before.

I do have cheat days every week or two, but I've met people where a cheat day makes them fall off the wagon. But I think the key is to have those go-to natural foods that you can eat when you're really hungry and aren't loaded with empty calories.

So we're doing the same thing and paying attention to our cals in and out, BUT making those going in are as good as possible because we are more satisfied and energized.

Took a few posts to get here but I got you now. :drinker:
  • grinch031
    Options

Calories in vs. Calories out does matter, but it is simply stating the obvious, but is not a means to an end. If you look at it like that, then you haven't thought out your plan and it will probably fail in the end.