Eat as natural as possible!!!

Options

Replies

• zaaden
    zaaden Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The tried and tested phrase "Everything in moderation" springs to mind in regards to this thread.

Generally eat as healthy as possible but that does not mean no processed foods. The aim should be to start eating in a healthy way that you can continue not a short burst which you cannot keep to and then fall back on bad ways.
  • LourdesitaMaria
    LourdesitaMaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Eat any thing you want just stay in a calorie deficit and you will still lose weight... Macro ratios are really irrelevant when it comes to losing weight.

That is absolutely untrue, medically and scientifically. Because you have to still consider the fat and the kinds of fat that you're taking in as well as the number of carbs and sodium. Your body needs certain kinds of nutrients in order to metabolize effectively that which we eat. If you take in too much sodium you won't lose consistently or at all. Some people on here need to be more care about what they say when it comes to nutrition...it is not conscientious to lead others astray.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I keep saying this time and time again..........

Not only are all calories NOT equal, they are really irrelevant, especially when discussing eating natural, whole foods.

Quality matters over Quantity any and every day.
    Calories – Not Created Equal and Perhaps Not All That Relevant
    Many diet and exercise programs are based on us “counting calories” and assuming all calories are created equal. This goes back to the 1870’s and the scientific finding of the First Law of Thermodynamics. We learn from Wikipedia, “The first law of thermodynamics states that energy can be transformed, i.e. changed from one form to another, but cannot be created or destroyed. It is usually formulated by stating that the change in the internal energy of a system is equal to the amount of heat supplied to the system, minus the amount of work performed by the system on its surroundings.” This theory was applied to the human being. Resulting in the myth that whatever calories we consume through eating we need to burn through activity otherwise these calories will store as fat and we will gain weight.

For the rest of the article, click here. http://brwellness.blogspot.com/2012/02/calories-not-created-equal-and-perhaps.html
    If you beleive this then you should be able to identify what actually isn't accounted for on the out side of the energy balance equation.....basically what gets by and doesn't get used as energy. Inquisitive minds would like to know.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The tried and tested phrase "Everything in moderation" springs to mind in regards to this thread.

Generally eat as healthy as possible but that does not mean no processed foods. The aim should be to start eating in a healthy way that you can continue not a short burst which you cannot keep to and then fall back on bad ways.

Would you say the same thing to an alcoholic?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Alcoholism is a disease. Eating ice cream every now and then is not.
  • grinch031
    Options

Eating ice cream every now and then is not.

Are you sure about that? Do you know what goes on when an obese person has metabolic syndrome?
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out.

It is the BEST key to good health though :drinker:

that's kind of a myth. it works for the most part but if you're eating only crap, it really won't get all the weight off you. they have to be SMART calories

Nope. Plenty of people on here and prove it true. Laws of thermodynamics

Really can McDonalds rejuvenate your health like eating clean can>?
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if people argue so much on these threads because they're bored and or is it just because they are the types of people who must always be right. We all know the obvious rules of eat healthy, gargage in - garbage out, etc...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink it.
  • grinch031
    Options

that's kind of a myth. it works for the most part but if you're eating only crap, it really won't get all the weight off you. they have to be SMART calories

I would probably do okay if I ate McDonalds, but I could only eat probably one meal a day before I got fat. And I'd be starving all the time. Probably wouldn't last very long on the diet.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Are you sure about that? Do you know what goes on when an obese person has metabolic syndrome?

Not sure why you editted out half of my post, but whatever. Yes, I am quite sure that eating ice cream EVERY NOW AND THEN is not a disease. If a particular person HAS a metabolic disease, then eating ice cream might affect them, but the act of eating ice cream itself in moderation is not disordered or unhealthy eating.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Eat any thing you want just stay in a calorie deficit and you will still lose weight... Macro ratios are really irrelevant when it comes to losing weight.

That is absolutely untrue, medically and scientifically. Because you have to still consider the fat and the kinds of fat that you're taking in as well as the number of carbs and sodium. Your body needs certain kinds of nutrients in order to metabolize effectively that which we eat. If you take in too much sodium you won't lose consistently or at all. Some people on here need to be more care about what they say when it comes to nutrition...it is not conscientious to lead others astray.

LOL

you know sodium has nothing to do with fat loss right? That is what we are talking about here. Not just some scale number you can shift with water retention. And why does carb number matter if you are hitting you other macros? Some magic number where it all turns to fat?
  • grinch031
    Options

Not sure why you editted out half of my post, but whatever. Yes, I am quite sure that eating ice cream EVERY NOW AND THEN is not a disease. If a particular person HAS a metabolic disease, then eating ice cream might affect them, but the act of eating ice cream itself in moderation is not disordered or unhealthy eating.

The disease part is that metabolic disorder is very prevalent among obese, and it causes excessive hunger especially when stimulated by junk food. So attempts to moderate junk food instead of removing them will more likely lead to failure of the diet.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    I often wonder if people argue so much on these threads because they're bored and or is it just because they are the types of people who must always be right. We all know the obvious rules of eat healthy, gargage in - garbage out, etc...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink it.

People who argue in these threads do so b/c they either think that their way of doing things is the ONLY way of doing things, or b/c they want to let other people know that 2+2 is not the only way to get 4 and that it doesn't have to be either all-or-nothing or failure.
    Options

Once again. We are talking about LOSING WEIGHT. Not optimum health.
  • grinch031
    Options

I think you're the only person here who cares about temporarily weight loss without regards to long term health or weight.
    Options

I think you're the only person here who cares about temporarily weight loss without regards to long term health or weight.

And did you miss the part where I said that I eat mostly clean? I ate a big bowl of delicious spaghetti squash a few minutes ago. I eat fairly clean and am working on my nutrition degree. Kay thanks.
    Options
    Original post was NOT talking about health, but losing weight. Which is where the comments came from. If she would have stated optimum health I would have absolutely nothing to disagree with.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

For me, it's boredom. And I would venture to guess I'm not the only one. The message boards are much more tame outside of the typical work day.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, not true. Many people on MFP are looking for a quick fix.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Though I fall short, this is the ideal I strive toward.
    ALL NATURAL!
    Nothing but whole foods; if man makes it, don't eat it.

Amen!