Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options

Replies

• JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked. Sorry but I do not understand why people smoke???? it says right on the carton "may lead to lung cancer" Lung cancer kills more than an other cancer, heart attacks, and car accidents COMBINED every year!!

Why do people stuff their face knowing obesity cause so many health problems? Why do people drink alcohol when they know it has detrimental effects to your body?
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    must read (later)
  • magicsd77
    Options
    Here is from a blog i posted. I have been smoke free for 3 years this March:

I thought i wold post about how I quit smoking in case anyone is entertaining the idea. I decided to quit in March 2009, before my 50th birthday. I had never been a "heavy smoker", about 1 pack or less a day, and had started smoking when I was 21. I really didn't think it would be that hard for me to quit. That March I tried to quit cold turkey the first time. Man was that ever bad.... I was literally in a lot of pain, and i made sure that everyone around me was too :). So i decided to start again after 2 1/2 days. Everyone, but me, was happy. I then began to read up on it and see why it was so difficult. For starters, nicotine is like a drug, a very powerful drug! I went to whyquit.com and read alot of powerful and frightening stories. I realized that cigarettes were my crutches, my emotional support, my friends, my enemy.. in short they were everything.

I read that nicotine goes in your brain and takes a hold of you and the withdrawals are along the lines of heroin! I was starting to get mad, i was mad that I had allowed something to take ahold of me and I was determined to get rid of it. I started to tell myself that I was the one in control, and I would not let a drug of any kind be in control.

Week 1. I wrote down every cigarette, and the time. During the entire week, I would read aobut nicotine religiously, and tell myself that i would win.

Week 2. Day 1, 2 and 3, I subtracted 1 cigarette each day. I would pull out my list from the prior week, and cross of a time, and during that time i did ALOT of deep breathing. I also used straws. Day 4, 5, 6 I took out another time, so now i was minus 2 cigarettes a day, it was starting to get easier. I really wanted this and i was determined. I started to actually smell things again, and feel MUCH better.

Week 3, i subtracted another time, this time i picked a cigarette that i felt i would not be able to live without, the one after you eat! and i was able to do it. I was so proud of myself. I was down to 7 cigarettes a day!

Week 4 I subtracted 2 more times and was down to 5 cigarettes a day. During the other times, i chewed on straws, practiced the breathing,

Week 5 I subtracted another cigarette, and by day 3 of this week, i realized that i no longer needed the 4 cigarettes at all. I found that cigarettes actually stink, a fact that i did not know before.

I did not use nicorette or anything, i did it on my own. This March I am 3 years smoke free. I have never felt better in my life. I can definately tell the people that smoke, i was so SHOCKED at how it smells now.

Yes, yes.... I gained 15 pounds, i am working on that now.... but not smoking has far out"weighed" that.... and I am never looking back. If you want to quit, and you don't succeed don't give up.

The real way to quit smoking is to figure out what your "triggers" are when you smoke, and how you can avoid those triggers. If you crave a cigarette, wait 15 minutes, at the end of it, your craving should be gone, and you have just started on your way.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked. Sorry but I do not understand why people smoke???? it says right on the carton "may lead to lung cancer" Lung cancer kills more than an other cancer, heart attacks, and car accidents COMBINED every year!!

Come on now, that's nothing to do with the question.... you said you never smoked, well then you'll never understand how it is to be a smoker and how hard it is to quit! x

Exactly!

I hate when people who've never smoked say "I don't understand why you can't just quit". My mom does that...then when I do quit she gets all butt hurt when I'm crabby or don't want to talk. Uh, hello, told you I was quitting. It's gonna take some time for me to return to "normal" whatever that may be....
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 10 years old, and became a regular smoker at 18 (1986) ( one pack a day ) until April 27th, 2011. I had tried to quit a few times before, but I did not really want to stop... I was just doing it because of some boyfriend I was with, or someone else.. I really wanted to give it a try this time around..

So for the first week, I just smoked when I felt I NEEDED a dose of Nicotine and only smoked that cigerette until I felt it "hit" and got relief and then put it out.. The first day I had about 7 or 8, the next day it was 6, next 5-4 and by that friday, I was done. I keep my half pack of Marlboros next to the back door where it always sat.. but now untouched...(and probably stale and gross!)

I used the E-Cigg has something to carry with me, just in case I got a craving... in which I always say..

NON SMOKERS DO NOT CRAVE CIGGERETTS!

I think (and I really think this) that the tobacco companies lie and TELL YOU its hard to quit... and its not.. basically 3 days of withdrawl, and about 10 days to break the "habit" of smoking...

I dont miss it AT ALL! I can now BREATHE and excercise like I have not in well, not since High School...

I am so glad to be RID of it, I dont smell bad anymore, I dont have to find excuses to leave the room, I can visit family without hiding it, and I dont care if I have a 8 hour flight.. or there is no smoking section... in fact the smell makes me SICK!

I just wish that anyone who wants to be through with smoking... is just that.. DONE WITH IT!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! GO TEAM GO TEAM GO FIGHT WIN!!!! ( <---- sorry cheerleading flashback!)

PS. Also Vitamin C Drops help a great deal when you need them, and only 20 calories each =)
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband tried everything - someone on MFP recommended Allen Carr Easy Way to Quit Smoking, I ordered the book on Amazon for about $8 - he read it - he stopped smoking on July 4th - and has not smoked since

^^^ This book helped me out tremendously!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    COLD TURKEY.
  • pittures
    pittures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did a laser therapy that uses acupuncture points.
    It's a low level, cold laser that you don't feel and doesn't leave marks.
    It takes away the physical cravings. I don't know how, but it really does.
    My challenge was all in my head and with my habits. No surprise.

Smoke free 14 months now after about 20 something years of puffing.

You'll really only do it if you're ready or if something jolts you in to change.

Whatever route you take just know that it does get easier ... slowly.

You can do it!
  • mlightvt
    Options
    You have to be mentally ready, first of all. No wishy-washy about it, or you won't succeed. You have to commit to yourself that you're DONE smoking, period. Until you get to that point, you're SOL with having a chance of success. When you DO get to that point, make a plan.

I got to that point around my 30th birthday - having smoked for half my life - when I began having random heart palpitations, having to see a cardiologist and wear a holter monitor - I was told I could take a beta blocker regimen or quit smoking. As I take BCP I was also at an increased risk for stroke - and I know two women who were smokers and on the Pill who had serious strokes while in their 30s. So not wanting to leave my child a half-orphan, I made a plan to quit smoking. I knew I would not succeed around the holidays so I planned to quit at the first of January (2011). I also knew I'd want a little something to help me get over the physical withdrawal at first. So I planned to use the patch. I finished up my last pack on January 3rd 2011, wore the patch for two weeks, and have been smoke free since.

So in summary my advice is:

Be mentally ready.
    Have a plan.

Good luck!!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey for me. I didn't see the point in hiding away and using replacements, for me it was all or nothing because if I could do it then there was no point in going back!
    You have to want it though, you will go back if it's not what you really want.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Chantix. Smoke free 3 years on May 2. I have ABSOLUTELY no desire whatsoever ever.
  • pammiesg
    Options
    I went to a hypnotherapist!! Cost me 500$$ but was totally worth it. NO CRAVINGS!!! I decided I wanted to quit after 24 years and went on line and found one that had a life time gaurentee. I feel great!!! You should try it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    When I started this journey I told myself I'd lose the first 14lbs and then give up smoking. Well I've now lost 40lbs and I'm still smoking. I just can't seem to kick the habit.

Any advice on things I can do to make it a little easier?
    Just wean down for 2 weeks, then quit cold turkey.
    Smoking is the single worse thing you can do to ruin your health as you are aware.
    And it'll be the hardest addiction to break, so be ready for some painful days and nights.
    I am not trying to create drama, but use vacation time of you have it, stay home and address this like one would any addiction.
    Detox yourself that first week of "cold turkey" at home and punch through the pain.
    And here's the miserable part.
    Your hunger will BURN for a month after that first week. Just BURN!

Good luck to you, and I wish I had some little thing to say that would be the key to making this easy.
    There is NOTHING.
    Gird yourself for a tough fight, and no matter what, stay motivated and just KEEP PUNCHING!
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used the Commit Lozenges. My sister and boyfriend did also. They don't taste the best, but if you really want to quit they work. My boyfriend and I have been smoke free for 3.5 years and my sister has been for about 6 years.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I went to smoking only when I drank and then cold turkey.

I just pushed through the cravings and all.

When I put my mind to it and mean it I make it happen. So maybe try picking up a new stubborn personality :-)

Good luck!
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used something very similar to an e-cig. Worked very well.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix to help me quit. It worked really well for me. You have to take it with a good bit of food (sandwiched in the middle of your meal) or it can make you very nauseous. Whatever you do, you have to be willing to commit to it and want to change.
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • KaylanRose
    Options
    I ran. I smoked for just about 10 years. The gum was an instant disaster, the patch worked...until step 1 when i was just smoking with it on. To get rid of that deafening screaming for a smoke in my head, I ran. I didn't go very far at first...I still don't go particularly far, but each time i reached a goal I began to see myself a little more as a runner than a smoker.

I think if there is any kind of physical activity you can find yourself passionate about, it could work....Running for me was the most challenging, easily accessible, and I really felt the effects of the cigarette the most.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My husband tried everything - someone on MFP recommended Allen Carr Easy Way to Quit Smoking, I ordered the book on Amazon for about $8 - he read it - he stopped smoking on July 4th - and has not smoked since

^This book! My last ciggie was 1/6/12 @ 10 pm. First 3 weeks were EASY. Went camping with smokers and drank lots (which I was nervous about)..didn't bother me; I didn't want to smoke! Last week was stressful and I did get a craving. But..looked at my husbands cigar and did NOT want it, even thought i previously thought I did.
    My sister read this book and quit 12/31/11; no problems with her boyfriend smoking AND still hanging out in bars as she previously did (we're in Missouri..where you can still smoke everywhere and many people do). YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!