Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options

Replies

• Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking it will be 2 years in June. I used the patches for about 3-4 days and realized they were making me sick. After the 3-4 days I was past the worst part. I then used sunflower seeds, hard candy and gum to help with the oral sensation issues. I still went out with the girls on break and after a few days I couldn't stand the smell. Also make sure you have a good support group.
  • ladybug813
    Options
    seeing my grandma dying for emphysema and my mother suffering with it also was my motivation and I seriously can't even stand to smell cigs now you can do it if you really want to
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dont be ashamed to use the tools available. Patches, ecigs, pills, books, etc. you may have to try a few to find what works for you. Hubby and I used a combo of ecig and cig tobacco (not nicotine) replacments to kick the habit about 19 months ago. I am more than confident that I will never smoke again.

Evidence shows that some people are not so addicted to nicotine but the other properties in tobacco. in some people it can have an almost anti depressent type quality. That is where non smoke tobacco replacemts helped us . i.e. ariva losenges

Good luck! And you are much stronger minded than me to attempt weight loss and quitting smoking at the same time. I gave my self free reighn on food for the first six months of quitting.
  • zincalloy
    Options
    Quitting smoking is tough. But in all honesty it comes down to one thing; do you really want to quit?
    If you still really enjoy it then it's gonna be very hard.
    Personally I just decided one day I didn't want to smoke anymore. I hadn't really been enjoying it for a while and I had a check-up at the hospital and I came through with a clean bill of health so I thought I should just stop and I will have got away with it.
    That was about 10 years ago. I certainly don't have any cravings to smoke. I'd been smoking since I was about 8. Smoking about 10-20 a day from about 13. I'm 44 now.
    My wife was just the same. She just stopped one day and never said a thing. That was about 9 years ago. She has never touched a ciggie since.
    But you have to want to. Don't stop because others tell you to. Forget patches, hypnotherapy and other nonsense. It's about you. Do it because you want to. Because you are strong.
    Good luck. I tell you this, the world smells and tastes a whole lot better once you have knocked smoking on the head.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 9 years ago. I used a patch for about 2 weeks and I chewed a lot of gum and began carrying a bottle of water everywhere. I changed my habits and started walking a lot. I am not overweight because I quit smoking. I didn't gain weight from quitting. My mom smoked for over 40 years. She used the Leslie Cam ear thing. I'm sure if you google it you'll get more info on that. My step-mom is using an electronic cigarette. Not because she wants to quit, but because she wants my asthmatic son to be able to visit her house.

Honestly I still want one every day. I'm one of those people who could go back to smoking in a heartbeat. I stay away from smokers as much as possible. Even though it was and is hard for me, the benefits of not smoking are what keep me from going back to it.

Reasons quitting is good: Smoking is expensive, but you know that already. When you quit, you will realize that smokers smell terrible - clothes, hair, house, car, everything smells. Kissing a smoker gross. You will be able to breathe easier. You won't be harming your family and friends with second and third hand smoke. Exercise will be easier. You will be healthier. You will feel better.
  • mhanley1961
    Options
    I tried the chantix, and it make me want to eat everything in sight. I then went to wellbutrin and the patch and it worked well for me.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I quit smokikng a little over a year ago. Here are some of my tricks and tips:

1. Smoke your last cigarette right before you go to bed on a Sunday night. Have no cigarettes in your house after that.
    2. When you wake up, you will already be 8 hours or so into not smoking. The physical addiction of the nicotine only lasts about 48 hours.
    3. Go to work and do NOT leave the building for the entire day. At the end of the day, get in your car and go straight home.
    4. Repeat Monday's routine all week for the most part until you start feeling confident that you can go out and not run into a store and buy a pack of cigarettes.
    5. I chewed sugar free gum, coffee stirrers, and straws when I felt a craving hit hard.

You can do it!

ALL of this. My best friend smokes. We love to get together on weekends for a cocktail and a smoke on my deck. I had to not see her for 2 months. :)
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of the Cold Turkey Method. Smokers don't want to hear that because it's hard, but I think weaning yourself or using nic supplements just prolong the misery. I smoked for sixteen years and when I wanted to quit, there was nothing I wanted more. I just decided that was it and it was.
    Now, just remember, the urges and the temptations are there and they stick around for several weeks, but each day gets easier. After about a week (a week of hell) you will never want to turn around and go back because your over a huge hurdle. The hurdles get smaller and easier after that. After about a month, you still may have a few urges here and there, but nothing like the first week or so. And then before you know it, the urges are gone, you feel great, your super proud of yourself and there's no turning back.
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OH, and you will want to go to whyquit.com. It's a great sight, teaches so much about the addiction itself and has a wonderful supportive community.
  • silverstardust
    silverstardust Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a patch baby!! I was up to 2 packs a day so I was too scared to quit cold turkey. I wasn't too proud to say "I need help".

I hate to say it but my number one drive to quite several years ago was $$!! I calculated how much I was spending on 2 packs a day for 15 years and felt so stupid!

What also helped me too was my surroundings. If you work or hang out with people that you are used to smoking with it will make things so difficult because your mind always will associate the two together. You will just have to offend some people and be selfish so that you can be strong...if they are friends they will understand and support you.

I am also not a "cut back" type of person...I'm either in or out. It takes 28 days to break a habit...so for those 28 days you have to avoid putting yourself in "weak" situations.

Wishing you the best of luck & stay strong...you won't regret it! :D
    Hey there,
    When I started this journey I told myself I'd lose the first 14lbs and then give up smoking. Well I've now lost 40lbs and I'm still smoking. I just can't seem to kick the habit.

Any advice on things I can do to make it a little easier?
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this video?

http://bitsandpieces.us/2012/02/06/whats-inside-a-cigarette/

makes me wish I never smoked
  • superMisty
    Options
    I quit smoking 6mos ago with the help of Chantix. I agree - made things much easier! I also found the side effects I experienced (vivid and intense dreams, some AM nausea if I didn't eat before taking it) were mild considering a slow death by lung cancer and emphysema later in life.

Another thing that helped me when I had cravings... find something to occupy your hands. I crochet. I write. I do anything that requires my hands get busy! My husband had more problems with this, he kept suckers around for when his cravings would strike.

Good luck - remember: You can do this, you are stronger than you think, and if you WANT it, you WILL MAKE IT SO!!!
  • thejen75
    Options
    Here is something I tell everyone who "wants" or "is trying" to quit. - The only time I quit smoking for good and never looked back was when I just said to myself, " I'm not doing this for anyone BUT myself..you are going to do this, most importantly for your health..and never look back!" That's the day I truly quit for good. The other times I quit, I kept hearing it from family, and my boyfriend at the time. I tried to do it because it was what everyone else wanted me to do... and I only half *kitten* wanted to quit for myself, you know? But when you 100% commit to doing it for YOURSELF, and YOURSELF only, that's when you will conquer it. you know why? Because in that moment, you'll know you and your future is totally worth it. :-) It's been 5 years, and I have never even so much as craved a cigarette. Best of luck to you!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My last cigarette was Dec. 31st, 2005. A number of things "helped" me allow the cravings and urges to pass through me and beyond me, but there were only two things that "worked" for me to quit smoking.

1. I did not give myself the option to smoke another cigarette. I decided that, no matter how hellish it became, I was done. Period. Prior to making this decision, I would be a nervous wreck when I was having a strong craving. After making this decision, I simply treated myself as a small child having a temper tantrum. I spoke sternly to myself internally and said "We don't DO that anymore." and then stuck to it.

2. I did not hide my cigarettes from myself. I knew doing so would only prove that I could do without cigarettes so long as they were removed from my site or inaccessible. I wanted to be well and truly quit. I kept a nearly-full pack in my freezer for almost 2 years after I quit.

Things that really seemed to help me ride out the cravings included the scent of cinnamon and transferring my addictive behavior to a healthier one. I didn't do as well with the second as I did with the first, which is why I'm here trying to lose weight. If you can, though, every time you think you want a cigarette, inhale as if you were smoking one. Your body needs the oxygen and yet it's not used to getting as much as it is. That's one of the reasons you feel light-headed.

If you want a good community of people to quit with, I recommend QuitNet.

:-D
  • Dominije
    Dominije Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know you're going to hate hearing this, but you're going to need a reason to quit smoking. For me, (after smoking for almost 10 years) I was just tired of the health risks, and wanted to see myself back in shape (which required me to breathe a good bit), and I knew I couldn't do what i needed to while I was smoking. For my girlfriend, (smoker for about 12 years) it was the fact that she wanted to be able to run again without feeling like her breathing was holding her back. We're both hugely against feeling weak/helpless, so we decided to quit.

We had the motivation, and for her, it was still rough (still is sometimes, since it's only been a few weeks). We've been using the Equate version of Nicorette, stepping down the strength as we go along, and it's helped with the nicotine withdrawals, and allows you to adapt to other social situations. She also has a fixation with the hand to mouth motion, and the flicking you do with the cigarette, so I found a drinking straw and cut it to about cigarette size so she would be able to deal with her other habits (oral fixation and flicking) when she got stressed out, or when the withdrawals were really hitting her.

I can say that it's different for each person, as I haven't had any of the issues that she has. I don't really crave the gum as often, I don't get the mood swings from the withdrawals, I don't really see many changes in social interaction that annoy her...etc. All of these things will play into how you quit, but you never know... You may be like me and go through the process on cheat mode, without any of the negative side effects. lol
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    here are some facts from the aha. i went to a seminar the first time i quit and again several years later. these will give you immediate hope and encouragement. you don't have to wait until you get old to reap the benefits of kicking the habit

In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
    In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal
    In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
    In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
    In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
    In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
    In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
    In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
    In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

yeah, i posted way back there but just thought this may help anyone trying to quit. the american heart association and american lung association both have nice websites to get info and help from

it's easy to say "if i can do it, you can do it"... with me it's pretty much true. EVERYONE had lost hope of me ever quitting.. until i did ... after, honestly, at least 100 attempts and after smoking for over 50 years :flowerforyou:

ps: for anyone planning on going to work for a non-smoking company (such as alaska airlines and many more) enough nicotine can remain in your blood for up to 2 weeks that it can be detected by a drug test
  • letgomyego
    letgomyego Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I stoped for 20 years and then started again for over a year ,I just decided I was worth my health and walked away again.its been 1 year again .Good for you loosing all that weight.now love yourself a little harder ,your worth it.A few sunflower seeds after dinner was my fix.Good luck.
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    Meditate 3 min every day. I used to smoke 1 pack and a half per day. I have not smoked anymore ever since i tried meditation. Good luck!
  • rbohlmann
    Options
    I quit with nicorette gum. Chewed it for @ 2 years. I quit chewing it because it was so expensive. I know now you can get it for free at 1-800-QUITNOW.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Nine weeks of Chantix and running worked for me. And the absolute knowledge that this time I really, for real, wanted to quit. It's been almost a year. :bigsmile: