Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options

Replies

• mahall270
    Options
    determine that it is a habit and change those habits. if you are used to smoking after eating, find something else to occupy your hands during that time . It takes 21 days to stop a habit. It can be hard, but it can be done. Good luck! I really hope you succeed!
  • Lewisvirginia83
    Options
    I just quit Oct. 2011!!! I feel much better and I can exercise longer...lol. I used an electronic cig. You need to do your research on them to find a really good one. I used Modern Vapors and I LOVED it! Google it and see what you think :)
  • benfisherca
    Options
    I enjoy smoking but kicked the habit with an ecig, some cool info at smokingalternative.info
  • cindycolorado
    Options
    Unless you weigh 600 lbs, quitting smoking is job ONE!!. I used Chantix. Made smoking so nauseating. I gained 30 lbs, but now is starting to come off. I spent alot of time online to keep my fingers off the cigarettes. It is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family! Get a quit smoking meter at silkquit.org. It'll save you a ton of cash!
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Hey there,
    When I started this journey I told myself I'd lose the first 14lbs and then give up smoking. Well I've now lost 40lbs and I'm still smoking. I just can't seem to kick the habit.

Any advice on things I can do to make it a little easier?

Don't make such an extreme goal right off the bat. Take it one day at a time. Today, I will not smoke. When you want to smoke, find something else you can do... grab a mint, chew gum, get some tea, call a friend to talk you down, etc. Find something to help distract you. Also, if you have family (kids) that are part of your motivation, keep pictures near by or in your wallet to look at that remind you there is something more at stake than just you. Motivation is key. Find the resolve to really, truly want something else more than smoking, and you'll be better able to tackle the struggle. Also, there is no shame in seeing your doctor about some of the ways you can cut back over time and nicotine supplements to help you in that battle. You don't have to quit cold turkey. I've have friends do it both ways (I did the cold turkey... HARD) and the key is finding what helps YOU be successful. If and when you "fall of the wagon," ask yourself why you did, acknowledge that you are human and then get refocused on the goal. I mean, just because you trip on one step, doesn't mean you should just throw yourself down the stairs, right?

Good luck to you! It can be hard, but you can do it!
  • teevee1963
    teevee1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My cousin, a life-long smoker, developed COPD and told me that on bad days it's like breathing in and out through a straw; that scared the heck out of me (I smoked for 30 years.) I decided it was time to quit and replaced the cigarettes with water and gum. Also, avoid your trigger times if you can - going out at break time at work, etc. I only gained 5# (that was a fear of mine) which I eventually lost. Been smoke free for just about a year now and so happy I quit. You're stronger than a cigarette - you can do it!
  • 223lola
    Options
    Dont ever say you are quitting, tell yourself Im gonna choose to stop. Quitting is so final so if you simply just stop then theres no guilt if you happen to have one. It worked for your diet you didnt quit eating, you simply made better food choices. If youre down 40 the smoking should be a breeze for you bc youre in control
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My 31 yr old nephew needs a double lung transplant because of his addiction to smoking. He will probably not live more than a year if he doesn't get a transplant.

That would be all the motivation I need. I hope you quit.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My husband25 years, mom, 50+ years dad 50+ years and myself 20 years all 1-2 packs a day all quit. We just did mot buy them any more. Thats it ,if you dont buy them you cant smoke them
  • gsdx7
    gsdx7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Working on 4 years smoke free, I used Chantix with no side effects. Good luck!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I use a Boge Leo e-cig...I love it! I've been tobacco-free 226 days!
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    U can kick the "HABIT". it's just that simple. U r not ready & willing yet........U need to let go......."NO DISRESPECT TO U" (I mean it SINCERELY)....

I said many of times that "I WUZ GUNNA QUIT"...But I never did.
    I stopped bcuz I was entirely ready & had no "RESERVATIONS" this time around......it's been 7yrs since my last cigarette... I don't miss it at all ......

YES U CAN DO IT......U DESERVE LIVING A BETTER LIFE........U OWE TO YOURSELF & NO ONE ELSE....

MUCH LUCK.....

Mario
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Make the decision - really make the decision and just do it! It's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Once I made the commitment it really wasn't all that hard. Sorry, if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS of water!!! Mind over matter! If you always smoked after eating stay busy. TRY not to do the same things you did. Every time you get the urge to smoke just remember how long it has been. It had been 4 years for me since I quit!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    after a few pages of replies, I APOLOGIZE in advance if I'm repeating this advice.

I was a HEAVY, 3 pack of 100's menthol smoker, and started at age 10 (yes, I'm serious)
    I didn't quit even when I had a full blown case of whooping cough and was coughing up BLOOD.
    When the doctor told me I'd have emphysema within a year if I DIDN'T QUIT, I laughed and said,
    "Yeah, so...at least I'll know HOW I'll die....." My then 5 yr. old turned to me and said "Mommy, you won't be alive to see me have children."
    THAT was a brick upside the head- and I said to her, "YES I WILL." I tossed every cigarette away (even my *secret* stashes), threw out all the paraphernalia
    cleaned out the car/ashtrays ( or ask someone to do it for you)
    .........Residual SMELL is a huge trigger for cravings........

and did a LOT of walking when the cravings hit.........and drinking TONS of water (FLUSHES nicotine outta your system)

Best advice I got though.....
    Disassociate all the triggers you can think of that make you want one out of habit......
    EX- if you smoke and drink coffee, switch to tea for a while.
    If you generally light up after a meal, GET UP from the table IMMEDIATELY and go for a walk.
    If you drink alcohol, and that's part of the social scene- AVOID it for a while. REAL friends will support you.

Best wishes to you- it's a very hard journey, but a VERY WORTHWHILE ONE!
    It's been 25 yrs since I quit......and I don't regret it at all........I now have 5 grandchildren I have the energy to chase!
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Find someone near you that does accupuncture.... no withdrawl, no cravings..wonderful and stress free way to kick the habit. smoke free for seven years now?
  • catshanle
    catshanle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on Welbutrin for my nerves and I was a smoker for 35years. I just put the cigs down and haven't smoked in over a year now. Feel so much better without them. But you must really want to quit or nothing will work!
  • SharClark40
    Options
    I used Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (book). It was the EASIEST thing I ever did. I had tried with patches and gum previously, tried cold turkey, tried weaning myself off and I ALWAYS went back. But this book changes the way you think about smoking. I wasn't crabby, I wasn't sad - I felt AMAZING! I was free at last and I KNOW I will never smoke another cigarette again. My suggestion is to spend the $15 on the book, try it FIRST. If it doesn't work, then spend $100 and more on other ways. Everyone is different and will respond to different methods. However you try, GOOD LUCK!!
  • 18mojo18
    18mojo18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have smoked since I was a teenager (I'm 52 now) except for when I was preggers with my 2 boys, otherwise I smoked and pretended my kids couldn't smell it on me. Then the last two months of 2011 I got bad bad bad bronchitis real bad like it wouldn't go away bad and almost pneumonia. I decided then that when my pack was gone, I was quitting. My friend gave me some lozenges to help with cravings but I thought why am I quitting smoking if I'm just going to keep putting nicotine in me so I did it cold turkey. I put the cigs down on Jan 2, 2012 and I've been quit since then - not saying it has been easy OMG its soooo hard but you can do this!

I made myself little signs and stuck them all over my house, bathroom, car, etc. that reminded me of:

4 D's:
    1. Distract yourself
    2. Deep breathe
    3. Drink water
    4. Do something else

Tips (remember urges pass in just 5-10 minutes)
    1. Take 10 slow deep breaths, hold the last one, then breathe it out slowly
    2. Relax all muscles
    3. Imagine a soothing pleasant scene
    4. Walk to get away from it all for a moment - change of scenery
    5. Light incense or candle
    6. Wash hands or take a shower
    7. Try carrots, raisins, gum, or toothpicks

I got a book from Half Price Books called simply "Stop Smoking!". It's little, fits in my hand and I carry it every where. It talks about herbal and aroma related remedies. I found I'm a very easily distracted by smells and scents so I bought a tiny bottle of lemon oil and when I feel the urge to light up, I open my little bottle of lemon oil and breath in the yummy intense smell - a few sniffs of that and its almost miraculous how the urge goes away! Any pungent aroma like that triggers my ability to push it out of my mind. I guess I respond well to all the herbal types of remedies. I've increased my exercise and I wash my hands a ton and I can't believe how amazing my hair & car smell!

Sorry this is a long bunch of advice and I never thought I could do this cold turkey but I felt like I could not let smoking and nicotine control me - I was going to control it. Plus in one year, I will save approx $1,500 based on the number of smokes I go through - that's vacation money dude!:blushing:
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well I quit a long time ago and went cold turkey but things that helped me were changing my habits, changing my diet, carrying carrots and celery to chew when the urge was just way out of hand. I didn't throw away my cigarettes so I wouldn't panic over not having any cigarettes, I just put them up on top of the fridge.

You have to carry something to keep your fingers busy as well. If you sit at the table and drink coffee and smoke... then change how you drink your coffee... none of the changes are permanent, just until you kick the smoking habit. f course with all the pills, patches and other stuff to help one quit smoking it should be far easier than when I quit. Although I did make a commitment to quit and stuck to it... I haven't had a smoke in over 24 years.

If this helps awesome... but no matter what I wish you to be a successful quitter... :smile: