Ex-smokers! I need some advice to help me quit

Options
Hey there,
When I started this journey I told myself I'd lose the first 14lbs and then give up smoking. Well I've now lost 40lbs and I'm still smoking. I just can't seem to kick the habit.

Any advice on things I can do to make it a little easier?

Replies

• ohmicki
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I had quit cold turkey for 15 years and started again about 6 years ago. Worse this time around and it just makes me feel horrible. I just ordered and received an e-cigarette starter kit. I have 4 friends who used this tool to quit smoking and it worked! One was a 3 pack a day smoker and hasn't touched one in months. Just a thought.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 25 years. I tried all kinds of things but there were only 2 things that actually helped me quit, and that was willingness and the electronic cigarette.

As of 2/21/2012 I will be one year cigarette free.

Try this, it is actually cheaper than buying cigarettes in the long run: http://www.smokesation.com/electronic-cigarette-kit-v-go/

I also took bee pollen in the morning 5 to 10 minutes before I ate breakfast and the same amount of time before I ate lunch to curb my appetite. It worked for me.

Good luck, stopping smoking was one of the best things I ever did, 3rd only to stopping drinking and marrying my husband. Message me if you need a pep talk. You can do this. :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    What can I say, I lost a chunk of weight before packing up the smokes in 2010 with the help of Champix. Which was when my weight loss stalled.

I would use any excuse to go out for a cigarette, there was never a good time or a good reason to quit, till I just decided to do it. to quit.

You have to be ready and you have to really want to stop and you also have to be prepared to be hit with cravings for a cigarette at strange times. it's been over 18 months since I quit and right now, when things are a litttle stressful at both home and work, i'm craving a cigarette. But I'm not giving in.

Good luck! You have my support if you choose to quit x
  • Sharonnae
    Options
    I was able to quit smoking by changing the way I thought about it and the way I spoke to myself. My thoughts were so negative and I had convinced myself that I couldn't quit. In an amazing turn of events, a friend had pointed out that I lacked accountability for my actions. She handed me this book; QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life by John G. Miller. This changed my outlook on life itself and the way I thought of myself. It took a few months to train my thoughts differently and I still do struggle with it but it's for the better. One day, August 21, 2010, I ran out of cigarettes and just didn't buy anymore. Keep telling yourself that you can do this and you are worth a happy healthy life! :)
  • janecalder
    janecalder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Champix and Allan Carrs book the easy way to stop smoking. I stopped smoking 4 years ago on the 9th Feb and I have saved £9,380.14 by not buying *kitten*!!!
  • Rapunzel24
    Rapunzel24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I freely admit I have never smoked.

But I am a nurse, and when I was in the Navy I had a bunch of smokers in my Unit. As the head of medical for my unit I was pretty involved in the health of all "my" sailors. I have had quite a few quit with chantix and heard nothing but amazing reviews. They were much more successful than the others. I've also met with a Pharmacy Rep. regarding chantix and was soooo impressed with what I learned.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    yes down a glass of water when you feel the urge OR

put a elastic ban on your wrist and pull on it then let it go as many times as you wish
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both quit last July. He used Chantix, and I used Wellbutrin + the patch. We're both still smoke-free, so having a quit buddy definitely helped. Also, I've found that working out really helps me stay motivated. It's nice to be able to do yoga or kickboxing without wheezing :smile:

Good luck! It's rough at first, but it will get easier!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. Just kept myself busy if I had a craving. But that's easier as a student! I only smoked in college, and a tiny bit here and there. But I've been completely smoke free for over 10 years now. I still get cravings! I literally avoid places where people smoke (easy in NY, no public place can have smoking inside now).
    My MIL had to use Chantix, nothing else helped her. It made her so sick, she was glad to be done with it and the smoking! She's managed to stay smoke free for several years now!
    You need to find what works for you. Nothing works for everyone. Try gum, nicotine patches/gum, "smoking" on straws (no flame, no smoke, but sometime going through the motions makes it easier), and if all else fails get help from your doctor!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used Percocet (I had surgery). Right before my surgery, anestesiologist wouldn't clear me for surgery. Said my EKG showed I had had a heart attack (I was only 36). Cardiologist came in and did an echo and cleared me. I swore to myself that if I woke up, I would nerver smoke again. That was Oct 6, 2009. (Percocet for 4 days after surgery took the edge off the cravings, the rest was all ME!!!) I'm smoke free and will be for the rest of my life :happy:
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have been an ex smoker two years last month. Chantix helped me at first but I didn't like the other side effects so I stopped taking it. You have to be 100% ready to quit and have that will power to just say no or you won't quit. I found I lacked that will power and that is why every time I quit I would start back up. What also helped me was a web site called myquit.com. I liked watching the my stats (days quit, money saved etc) Once I quit two things I found helped with cravings was to always have water with me and to carry around my lighter. I would hold my lighter the whole way home (the car was a big trigger). It really helped holding it..not sure why but it did :)
    Good luck when you decide to quit!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started working out and increased the frequency and level of my workouts. My body got to a point where it was able to step it up, but my lungs would simply not allow it. After the frustration of this, and the realization of what I was doing to my body each time I worked out, I was able to quit.

I had several people tell me the easiest way to quit was to start an exercise routine and they were right. If you get the urge to smoke, do some lunges or squats, push ups or sit ups whatever...

Good luck!
  • gabeancounter
    gabeancounter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried stopping for about a year, before finally quitting.

It was pretty funny. Went to Sam's club, smoking my last cig on the way in. Purchased the Members Mark lozenges - I was way to cheap for the name brand. Leave the store and before I get to my truck I was craving bad. Something about knowing you are out of cigs that gets you jonesing.

Anyway, tear open the box and toss one in my mouth and start driving. I get to the edge of the parking lot and think I am going to blow @#$% chunks! Oh man...is these things bad or what! I have to spit it out. Kept driving and the nasua went away, but I start jonesing again! I am thinking I just wasted $40 on a box of mint torture. Don't want to spend $40 on a carton of cigs, so I tried another because the nausea was keeping me from jonesing. Long story short, the mint torture won!

Smoke free since fathers day 2010!
  • mickn
    mickn Posts: 15
    Options
    I used nicoteen patches for the first month the idea being to get out of the habit of sticking a cigarette in my mouth every 15 minutes without having to give up the nicoteen at the same time. After that it was cold turkey... hard at first but quit for an hour... then another hour ... then half a day..... then another half a day ... then a day and before you know it weeks have gone by and the longer you last the easier it gets.
  • powter
    powter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm off for 5 years now after a pack and a half habit for years and multiple times trying to quit. There were two things that helped most. One was a prescription medicine called Chantix and I used this in combination with patches. It costs a bit but so do cigarettes. (I'd tried Wellbutrin without success) The other was a kind of mantra taught to me by a quit smoking group and that was HALT - meaning don't let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. The Hungry was a big one. Found I craved a cigarette most when my blood sugar was low! Good luck! You CAN do it!
  • Annadrews
    Annadrews Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been smoking for over 30 years, 2/9/11 I will have a one month anniversary of not smoking, short timer, yes I know but, my advice is first to want it in your heart and then put a plan into motion to keep you busy. Staying busy is what helped me out. I started MFP only about 2 wks before quitting and it was part of the plan. I have lost 3/5 lbs and have not smoked for almost a month. I also used the patch at first but I will not be using any more as of Monday.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I used Cinamon Sticks throw in my mouth to assit me to quit smoking shaped like a cigarette but has a distinct flavor. Been Smoke free for almost 17 years (I think) might be 18. Anyways a long time. Also got the book from The American Cancer Society''s "Freshstart": 21 Days to Stop Smoking. Really helped out a lot. Good Luck
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Chantix....smoke free for 2 years and have NO desire to start again.
  • melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When you are 100% ready to quit do it. I used Wellbutrin to help me. I quit a little over 4 months ago. It's amazing. I still have cravings (especially in the car) but I have to continue to remind myself that I am stronger!

Good luck - I know you can do it!
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years ( a pack a day) and quit in Jan 2010. I used the patch plus the nicotine gum. The patch helped overall but when a bad craving came, the gum put a stop to it. You have to chew the gum properly or it will make you sick. I think you chew it a few times and then stop for a minute or two and repeat. Also I used the 2mg gum as the 4mg gum made me ill. After 3 months I was done with all of it but an occassional piece of gum. I have to admit I was suprised at how easy it turned out to be. Also have some cinnamon sticks or hard candy around to suck on the first 2 weeks.

Good luck!!! It is so worth it!