"Toning" aka fear of lifting heavy

Options
Ladies... please take a look at my profile picture. I am not really looking to lose any more weight but I am looking to reduce my body fat a little more.

I like looking like a woman - and I think my curves are beautiful.

If you looked at my pic and thought that my routine includes "toning" you would be wrong. My routine includes lifting weights heavy enough that 10 reps are difficult to complete. I have been at it for a few months now. I have stopped losing weight but I am going through pants sizes faster than my paychecks arrive.

Please don't be afaid of lifting weights. It will not make you look like a man and will very like cause drastic shrinking - not bulking.

Throw away those pink dumbells and join me in picking up things made of metal and solid rubber.

:flowerforyou:

ETA: my husband has proclaimed that our family's new favorite past time is punching me in the stomach. :wink: he wasn't prepared for what he'd hit the first time and honestly hurt his hand. HAHA

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Well said. The only way you will grow lifting heavy is when you have a calorie excess and when you are dieting, this is impossible.. You WON'T get bigger going heavy, just more shapely.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Marry me, oh wait i am already married to a hottie who squats atg and dead-lifts... well a man will be very lucky to have you.

STRONG IS THE NEW SKINNY!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I LIFT HEAVY THINGS! And I have 50+ pounds to lose. That's also totally okay, and probably really smart.

IMG_20120207_153436.jpg
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I started heavy lifting and looked what happened to me:

I went from this in 2009:

2771006_1295.jpg

To this...and there is less than 10 lb difference in weight:

2771006_7708.jpg

2771006_8138.jpg

2771006_3297.jpg

And these legs can press 270 lb and squat/lunge 120 lbs

2771006_2295.jpg
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    <---- lifts heavy things and eats lots of FOOD.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    As someone who is just about done with his NASM cert what kills me more are the trainers who perpetuate this. Makes my head spin Exorcist style when I see it in the gym.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I went down a pants size in the last month but have only lost 1#. All due to lifting heavy (well, heavy for me, not really heavy yet). And I only do it once or twice a week and do HIIT and other exercising on other days.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    <
    lifting heavy gave me a flat belly after giving birth to 6 babies
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    Lifting heavy means lifting heavy FOR YOU. A year ago 150 pounds on a dead-lift was heavy for me, a few months ago 365lbs was heavy, now 455 is heavy. But you ask a pro powerlifter and 700-900 is heavy for them. "Heavy" is relative, as long as you are trying hard you will see progress.

Leave the pink plastic weights where they belong... in the trash.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Well said!

<<<<<<< Lifts heavy.. Was even in a calorie surplus for 6 months last year to build some muscle - still don't look like a man! :D Honestly, lifting heavy has got me in better shape than I ever was even when I weighed less, and so much stronger!

Pre-MFP: 150lbs, ~27% bf%
    Jan 2012: 150lbs, ~22% bf%
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    OMG-I looked at your profile pics and saw Darla and just lost it. My DH has started calling me Darla since I've been lifting heavy!LOL
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for lifting heavy. See ya on the boys' side of the gym!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just started lifting heavy and I love how powerful it makes me feel. Curious though about how much more you all are eating now that you are lifting multiple times a week? I'll go search for answers!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I went down a pants size in the last month but have only lost 1#. All due to lifting heavy (well, heavy for me, not really heavy yet). And I only do it once or twice a week and do HIIT and other exercising on other days.

Yep, I lift heavy for me, a couple times a week and I am down sizing!!! Don't really care about the number on the scale as long as I look better this year than I did last year!!!! Wahhahahah!!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Fantastic thread. :drinker:
  • scott091501
    Options
    Just started lifting heavy and I love how powerful it makes me feel. Curious though about how much more you all are eating now that you are lifting multiple times a week? I'll go search for answers!

I lifted when I was fat honestly. Now that I do triathlons I still lift heavy, but have just adjusted my definition of heavy.

I think people tend to over estimate the amount of cals that lifting burns. I'd eat somewhere around maintenance w/o the lifting figured in if you're looking to lose. It will give you enough in the calorie dept to power through workouts and allow you to slowly lose.
  • scott091501
    Options
    I love to see all the ladies saying their waists shrunk while lifting heavy. IMO perhaps the best ab exercises are heavy squats and deads. You get more work stabilizing than you'd ever imagine.
  • addisondisease2
    Options

Learn about bulking and cutting. I just got done with a 2.5 month bulk where i was eating 3,000 - 4,000 cal a day. I have friends who eat 7,000 a day!
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Low weights, high Reps if you go heavy weights low Reps. Tone maybe try Zumba
  • grneyecowgirl
    Options
    I totally agree with you when I started lifting and getting toned it wasnt about the weight anymore I based it on jean size because I was having to buy new jeans every 2 weeks when I went from a size 7 to a size 3. and I actully gained 2# but I wasnt upset I didnt want to be skinny fat... Know what they say strong is the new skinny!!! I got awesome results last yr doing p90x. Right now Im doing Jillian Micheals because I let myself go a little its time to get down to business..