Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Where should I start?
    How does one break into heavy lifting?
    I am ready to sign up!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    This was 6 weeks of heavy lifting and strict diet.
    th_DSC04429-1-1.jpg?t=1328053801
    Oh wow....love your *kitten* (in a non creapy way!!!!)
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    As someone who is just about done with his NASM cert what kills me more are the trainers who perpetuate this. Makes my head spin Exorcist style when I see it in the gym.

I'm trying to find a way to tactfully address this with my trainer. Starting out with her was great, because I have hypermobile joints and I really needed a lot of help with my form, which she was fabulous about helping me with. But recently she had me increase the number of reps from15 to 20 on many exercises while either leaving the weight the same or in some cases even decreasing it, which I'm rather confused about. Maybe she has a good reason, but I need to remember to ask, because I'm not understanding the logic behind that particular change.

Now the squats I understand - since my form still isn't that great I could use more practice getting it right, but the rest, I'm not so sure about.

If it were me, I would dump her. In a nice way of course. ;)
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position
    ^ Watch this video. So informative and would help you a ton.

Also, In!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy intimidates me! But it's not because I think I'll bulk up - I know I'll always have my gorgeous curves and won't look like my "Conan" husband. It's the workout itself that scares me! I started going to a gym for the first time this year. They have a lot of nautilus (sp?) equipment that isolates one muscle at a time, and I do those when I go. But I don't do the weight room because I don't know how to do heavy weight exercises, I'm afraid I'll hurt myself with poor form, and yes also it's intimidating knowing everyone else in the room is all professional and crazy. I don't want to pay for a personal trainer!! And although my husband would no doubt help me out, he's in the military and deploying soon so I'm kinda on my own.

How did you get started initially? What would you recommend for me, aside from reading those books, which I'd like to do? The last thing I want is to injure myself by straining my back or dropping something on my foot or something dumb like that :-P

You're making excuses, plain and simple. You can hurt yourself, actually more, on those machines because they limit your range of motion to a fixed movement. If you've read the books, you have sufficient knowledge to get started. If you haven't there are multiple resources available online to teach you the proper way to do an exercise.
  • smithmom531
    smithmom531 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have any suggestions for those of us just starting out. A book that helped you get started or a website or anything? I have quite a bit to lose (30-40 pounds). I lost 10 in my first month and half and am happy with my progress but I want to be toned, not just thin. When the weight is finally gone I want to have muscles to show for it not bones. Any places you can point me to would be great, Thanks!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Have any suggestions for those of us just starting out. A book that helped you get started or a website or anything? I have quite a bit to lose (30-40 pounds). I lost 10 in my first month and half and am happy with my progress but I want to be toned, not just thin. When the weight is finally gone I want to have muscles to show for it not bones. Any places you can point me to would be great, Thanks!

bodybuilding.com
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Finally added weight training to my routine this year. No change in my weight yet, but my clothes already fit better, and I feel so much stronger. To be honest, the weight room still feels intimidating, but that doesn't stop me anymore!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    For those starting out-
    websites like bodybuilding.com
    For those with gyms, ask a trainer "I want to know how to do squats. Would you please watch my form? Get an idea of how to do them from watching youtube videos. This is what I did with deadlifts. After doing them a few days I asked a trainer to help me out. They won't charge you if you are just asking for help with 1 thing. Try to work the new lifts in every week or so. If you see a guy doing a lift you want to do, ASK THEM FOR HELP! I ask guys to rerack weights for me, spot me, show me how to do different things. I even asked one guy if I should go for a personal best or not and he cheered me on. No woman on a stairclimber would have done that!!!
    Join the groups here for weightlifting, bodybuilding, etc.
    As for how much weight to start with, start with the bar so you can get the form right, get used to the weight, etc. If it is too heavy, then most gyms have barbells that will work for most exercises.
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    boomp to read later.

Also, I have to say, after having a quick look through the thread a few of you are being harsh and and over-critical toward people who are saying they have never done it before and feel a little intimidated by it. ****ty attitudes that aren't needed on a support site, especially toward people who are obviously interested in trying this new venture.
  • jnelk
    jnelk Posts: 4
    Options
    So much like about this thread.

Easiest way to get started do a Pump or Power class at a gym, that's how I learned to do everything :)
  • brandonrdn
    Options
    Had to tell two different women this today. One at the gym, and the other at GNC.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So much like about this thread.

Easiest way to get started do a Pump or Power class at a gym, that's how I learned to do everything :)

I agree if you are intimidated a pump class to learn proper form etc is a great way to go - I love my pump class I do 3x a week and I can lift heavy stuff and put it down - this aint no Barbie pump class!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy intimidates me! But it's not because I think I'll bulk up - I know I'll always have my gorgeous curves and won't look like my "Conan" husband. It's the workout itself that scares me! I started going to a gym for the first time this year. They have a lot of nautilus (sp?) equipment that isolates one muscle at a time, and I do those when I go. But I don't do the weight room because I don't know how to do heavy weight exercises, I'm afraid I'll hurt myself with poor form, and yes also it's intimidating knowing everyone else in the room is all professional and crazy. I don't want to pay for a personal trainer!! And although my husband would no doubt help me out, he's in the military and deploying soon so I'm kinda on my own.

How did you get started initially? What would you recommend for me, aside from reading those books, which I'd like to do? The last thing I want is to injure myself by straining my back or dropping something on my foot or something dumb like that :-P

Until your husband is deployed, get him to help you whenever he can. I first got into lifting through my bf, so fortunately I never had the "I don't know what I'm doing" thoughts as he was always there doing it with me.

When he cannot help you, look up videos of the exercises (squats, deadlifts, rows, lunges, bench press etc etc) on youtube, bodybuilding.com and get someone at the gym (who looks like they know what they're doing) to watch your form to see if you're doing it ok, they should be glad to help! :)
    Although, for things such as bench press, if you don't have a spotter, you're best off using dumbells instead of a barbell, or if you've had enough practice with it, a weight that you "know" you can lift no problem and just stay far away from failure.
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Love this, can't wait to start heavy lifting(once I get my gym membership) I've never been a big cardio fan so lifting fits in with what I like and will get me to my goal :bigsmile:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

just start out with an empty bar. Get your form down, then add the weight slowly for the first month. By doing this, poor form wont hurt you, and you will be able to "recover" if you lean too far one way or another, etc... by the end of the month, 3 times a week, you'll be eager to jump up a bit and add more weight.

when I started doing squats, I was 25 and fairly strong (but fat).. i still started with an empty bar, and progressively added weight. it kept me into it by making it a habit. it let me stretch my muscles before i was overloading them.. and it built up my "helper" muscles that let me stabilize the big weight... a month and a half later i was squatting 205 all the way down, stopping and back up... even though I was big enough to do that, I started with the 45lb bare bar. dont be afraid of it.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    If it were me, I would dump her. In a nice way of course. ;)
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position
    ^ Watch this video. So informative and would help you a ton.

Also, In!

Very thorough! Thank you!

I'm thinking that I'll slowly taper off as I feel I more confident about my form, though honestly that was sort of my plan all along. I wanted a trainer to teach me good form so I don't injure myself, but I really don't have a problem pushing myself on my own. After the days I do strength training on my own (where I do more weight and less reps) I have more muscle soreness than I do after the days I workout with the trainer, so I don't think that I'm wussing out because I don't have someone there egging me on. :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Low weights, high Reps if you go heavy weights low Reps. Tone maybe try Zumba

I find TONS of humor in people who just answer the title without reading anything else. LOL!

And even funnier when thier answer is totally useless.
  • hsmithway
    Options
    Although, for things such as bench press, if you don't have a spotter, you're best off using dumbells instead of a barbell, or if you've had enough practice with it, a weight that you "know" you can lift no problem and just stay far away from failure.

The gym I go to is pretty small and quiet, I go by myself, and I'm often alone with the free weights, so I usually use the dumbells. Generally I get to a point where my left arm just stops moving no matter how much I push, but I'm not in any danger. And as a bonus, it keeps my stronger arm from "carrying" my weaker one.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options

Please don't be afaid of lifting weights. It will not make you look like a man and will very like cause drastic shrinking - not bulking.

Throw away those pink dumbells and join me in picking up things made of metal and solid rubber.

yep
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started out with Chalean Extreme and she's great, so you could try that. I love her attitude and she helps you with your form. I'm currently on week three of the PUSH Phase.