"Toning" aka fear of lifting heavy

Options

Replies

• merlyn23
    Options
    Ok so i just started working out and i have no idea what i need to do to help tone my body.Im not fat but i really need to learn how to tone and build muscle...can someone help please
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ???? Your proflile pic is just of your head. How heavy do you lift?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

:noway:

Hilar.

One quick peek through my pics would have yielded this pic

2497623_2551.jpg

Lifting heavy promotes curiosity AND mouse clicking. Check it out!

(and I said how heavy I lift in the OP - to exhaustion at 10 reps)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

In my country we call this "Sharp as a bowling ball."
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Guess you don't know how to click on a profile:embarassed:
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options

oooh, you are really good at being a *****!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This is awesome.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrIj4I7ecg
  • bcattoes
    Options

I wasn't trying to be an *kitten*. The OP said look at my profile pic to see what lifting can do but it's just a head. Sorry if pointing that out was offensive (though honestly I don't see how it would be).
  • bcattoes
    Options

:noway:

Hilar.

One quick peek through my pics would have yielded this pic

2497623_2551.jpg

Lifting heavy promotes curiosity AND mouse clicking. Check it out!

(and I said how heavy I lift in the OP - to exhaustion at 10 reps)

And apparently a good deal of hostility and sarcasm. Sorry I asked. Geez!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and going heavy!

If after 8 reps, you cannot lift anymore, that's what lifting heavy is for you. What I do is considered light for most people, but it's as good as I can do. I'm a lot stronger than I was last year, and that's all the matters to me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to be an *kitten*. The OP said look at my profile pic to see what lifting can do but it's just a head. Sorry if pointing that out was offensive (though honestly I don't see how it would be).

The original post was posted several days ago, when her profile picture WAS her lovely tummy.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

You were just late to the party.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options

In my country we call this "Sharp as a bowling ball."

I like this. :laugh:

I started following the 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' program in December, though I'm working from home, so not lifting as heavy as I'd like (still building my weight collection!). I do lift heavy stuff on a regular basis, however, because I run a horse farm, so much of the credit has to go to that for my ~TONE~ haha. Carrying a full 4-gallon water bucket on each side and lugging bales of hay and straw and bags of grain are a decent workout. I see using a hose as a missed opportunity to work muscles. :happy:
  • bcattoes
    Options

The original post was posted several days ago, when her profile picture WAS her lovely tummy.

OIC Well, I can see why that would require hostility and sarcasm then. I will being the self flagellation now.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Just please learn proper form before you start lifting heavy. Because if you dont, you'll F(uck yourself up
  • So, I have about 100 pounds to lose. I definitely want to lift heavy (and have a fiance who knows how to show me the exercises and keep an eye on me). This threads pictures are really inspiring. At 100 pounds to lose, I'm always thinking about how flabby I'll be when I lose the weight.

My question for the thread, (and I will go look at the resources you all have listed, just sending it out there anyway) is how often should this be done? Is lifting more important than cardio or should I keep doing cardio on days I don't lift? Full body or focus on a set of muscles at a time? My last PT only did my arms and would send me up to the elliptical for my legs. Which was frustrating because I have HUGE thighs and I wasn't seeing results there. Sure, my shirts got smaller but not my pants. I also have pretty strong legs already because they've been toting around 280+ for the last, uh, 8 years?

And how do I keep from groaning every time I move (after a workout) in front of my 9th grade English students? LOL! (Not a serious question)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

And how do I keep from groaning every time I move (after a workout) in front of my 9th grade English students? LOL! (Not a serious question)

alcohol. and lots of it!
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ok this is off topic a little but do you think a kettlebell workout would help with building muscle? It's the most affordable and practical thing for me specifically that I can think of since I don't have access to a gym...
  • Marmalina
    Options
    hahaha thankkk youuu!! I am so tired of explaining this to people!

ps you look amazing :)