"Toning" aka fear of lifting heavy

Options

Replies

• grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    squat.jpg

This made me so happy!! I want to photoshop myself into that, though. Weeeeeee!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Ditto.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    squat.jpg

This made me so happy!! I want to photoshop myself into that, though. Weeeeeee!

While I love the attitude that the picture brings, it's very photoshopped.

Just look at the cupboard behind her leg on the left of the picture, it bends with the shape of her legs.
  • velofille
    velofille Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Heya, I'm new to message boards, here, so sorry if i step on any toes here :)

I thought I would jump on in because i have previously lost a crap load of weight (80kg/170lb?), and went on to train as a personal trainer - so i have a fairly good knowledge of how most things works (does not with help motivation unfortunately lol).

Anyway, there is no technical term called 'toning', it just means loosing fat and gaining muscle, but its not a real word per say in the industry. If you tell a PT you want to do toning, he will probably ask you what you mean by that, because of course everyone means different things usually :D

Doing weight lifting will increase muscle size, and make them stronger, but never to the point of a body builder without a few additives!
    It will however burn more calories at rest than without it, so when you do some weight lifting, then sit on your *kitten*, you will naturally stay slimmer and loose more weight easily (so its a win win!)

Personally i love the look of females like GIllian Michaels , her body is going off!

Anyway, my story is that i had major surgery (Donated a kidney) then did my knees in soon after (was out for a year) and regained weight in my depression and down time.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options

While I love the attitude that the picture brings, it's very photoshopped.

Just look at the cupboard behind her leg on the left of the picture, it bends with the shape of her legs.

Not shopped. You can easily find other pictures of her. Her legs look just as awesome. She just squats, *kitten* to grass.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump! I just started lifting & I'm LOVING this thread!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yay for lifting heavy!
  • blessmy5
    Options
    Just got NROW for Women today and I'm anxious to jump in.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Here's me almost 3 years ago when I got married. Last late June just before I started this (and I thought I still looked like I did when I got married) and then in December. I've been lifting the whole time. I started with the plan in Body for Life, which is very accessible, easy to follow, and easy to do at home only with sets of dumbbells. There's more cardio in that, so its sort of a gateway plan to weight lifting.

Then in October or November I started New Rules of Lifting. I'm very glad I have a gym because I can now load an Olympic bar with weights that exceed my body weight and lift them in the squat rack. I can load an Olympic bar with almost 100#, squat and then power that sucker over my head while I stand up. Fun stuff. I don't have enough equipment at home.

I haven't lost a pound in a while. This still bugs me a little. But it is made ok by the fact that I also have few pants because they are all too big for me. They keep getting bigger. Lifting makes me HUNGRY. But I eat. And I also get smaller.

BTW, Sunshine put up a picture on another thread, she's pointing out her neck and shoulders, and she looks exactly like a prima ballerina. That whole "long, lean, dancer" thing the afraid-of-heavy ladies look for.

xge5hl.jpg
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Just starting this myself. My friends results do not lie. Next week I will be starting P90X. I admit I am scared of it but I will hate myself if I do not at least try.
  • frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am slowly increasing weights and purchased the book "Lift like a man look like a goddess"... I am in this to win it :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    <---- lifts heavy things and eats lots of FOOD.

This!
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy intimidates me! But it's not because I think I'll bulk up - I know I'll always have my gorgeous curves and won't look like my "Conan" husband. It's the workout itself that scares me! I started going to a gym for the first time this year. They have a lot of nautilus (sp?) equipment that isolates one muscle at a time, and I do those when I go. But I don't do the weight room because I don't know how to do heavy weight exercises, I'm afraid I'll hurt myself with poor form, and yes also it's intimidating knowing everyone else in the room is all professional and crazy. I don't want to pay for a personal trainer!! And although my husband would no doubt help me out, he's in the military and deploying soon so I'm kinda on my own.

How did you get started initially? What would you recommend for me, aside from reading those books, which I'd like to do? The last thing I want is to injure myself by straining my back or dropping something on my foot or something dumb like that :-P
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    <<<45 years old, mother of 6, lifting HEAVY and loving it! NROLW rocks!

Only one gym in our rural area (and it has crappy hours), so we found a bench and weights in a local trading paper. Saved enough buying second-hand that we could afford a power cage too, so I can lift solo safely.

My young adult sons will have friends over, and they always ask about the weights. I love the looks on their faces when the boys tell them "those are Mom's"!

Don't be afraid. Read up. Watch youtube videos for form. Start slow and light, and build up as form improves. Do not be intimidated...everyone started somewhere!
  • niicolemariies
    niicolemariies Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started heavy lifting and looked what happened to me:

I went from this in 2009:

2771006_1295.jpg

To this...and there is less than 10 lb difference in weight:

2771006_7708.jpg

2771006_8138.jpg

2771006_3297.jpg

And these legs can press 270 lb and squat/lunge 120 lbs

2771006_2295.jpg

AMAZING! This really motivated me. You look fabulous! I've come to a point where cardio just doesn't do it for me anymore and I've been so scared to lift heavy weights. I started just recently (2 weeks ago) and I'm already seeing great results! :D
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!! I am lifting heavy now and loving every minute of it! Sore muscles and all!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This was 6 weeks of heavy lifting and strict diet.
    th_DSC04429-1-1.jpg?t=1328053801
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    All of you fellow women inspire me.

I'm only about 30 pounds from being able to press double my weight. I do weights 4 times a week (weight machines), and love it.

Next weekend going through free-lifting classes for women - Hoping for more muscle work then I already get.