out of calories = quit eating for the day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Have a great walk!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I started out my very first day here (only downloaded the app just before lunchtime) waaaay over. I mean WAY. OVER. I was honest, I input everything I had eaten that morning already (can we say stuffed-face-with-kids-super-sugar-rush-cereal?!) as well as everything else the rest of the day, and then received a devastating call from my sister that evening and totally pigged out on dessert . Honestly, I was so upset I just didn't give a crap - anything to make you feel better, KWIM? Not typical behavior, but this wasn't your typical news either (30-something, big C).

Later though, I was so mad at myself when I saw the overage. But I couldn't change what I had done, and I didn't want to let it get me down. So my goal was to shoot for being under every day the rest of the week, just 75 here, 100 there. And by the end of the week, my daily AVERAGE was almost spot on. I really liked that, as it lets me know if I slip that I haven't totally fallen off the wagon, I've just slipped (and I'm sure I will!) but I can stand back up and keep going. No chasing the wagon. :)

I know others will argue that I shouldn't be eating my calories back (now that I am finding myself doing more at the gym I am trying to leave some on the table, but baby steps, right?). Maybe my baby steps are smaller than most, but I'm doing what I can, which is FAR more than I have EVER done before. That has to be worth something, right?!

Great response!

I just don't understand the whole punishment/reward thing if this is going to be a lifestyle change and not simply a diet. Heck, thin, fit and healthy people splurge once in awhile, too. Are brownies nutritious? No, but if you eat healthy and nutritious foods about 90% of the time some calorie dense goodies are not going to harm you or be enough to make you have to try to out-exercise a bad diet.

I know I push zig-zagging your calories a lot but I basically do what the quote above does. I hate a weekly calorie target that varies depending on my exercise calorie burn and that's what I shoot to eat for the week, not the day. I can have several small splurges a week, one big splurge, whatever and still eat mostly healthy nutritious foods to properly fuel my body while, also, having a brownie or bowl of ice cream or pie or whatever. I must say the Android phone app makes this much easier to track than the website does.

Anyway, I never feel deprived eating this way, am never hungry, and I am losing while nourishing my body properly. I rarely go over my weekly calorie target. But, gosh, even if I do, let's say I'm in a 2500 calorie deficit for the week instead of a 3500 calorie one. OK, that means that I theoretically lose about 0.66# instead of 1#. In the long run, big deal.

There are no bad foods. There are just "10% of the time" foods.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    i think alot of this problem is mindset.

not eating is NOT punishment... its not punishing yourself.

food is fuel. not a source of happiness.. not a goal.. and not something that should be consumed because of habit.

you fuel up when you need it, and otherwise its not required.

you filled up your tank early that day... not eating anymore that day isnt punishment, its just not required.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I started out my very first day here (only downloaded the app just before lunchtime) waaaay over. I mean WAY. OVER. I was honest, I input everything I had eaten that morning already (can we say stuffed-face-with-kids-super-sugar-rush-cereal?!) as well as everything else the rest of the day, and then received a devastating call from my sister that evening and totally pigged out on dessert . Honestly, I was so upset I just didn't give a crap - anything to make you feel better, KWIM? Not typical behavior, but this wasn't your typical news either (30-something, big C).

Later though, I was so mad at myself when I saw the overage. But I couldn't change what I had done, and I didn't want to let it get me down. So my goal was to shoot for being under every day the rest of the week, just 75 here, 100 there. And by the end of the week, my daily AVERAGE was almost spot on. I really liked that, as it lets me know if I slip that I haven't totally fallen off the wagon, I've just slipped (and I'm sure I will!) but I can stand back up and keep going. No chasing the wagon. :)

I know others will argue that I shouldn't be eating my calories back (now that I am finding myself doing more at the gym I am trying to leave some on the table, but baby steps, right?). Maybe my baby steps are smaller than most, but I'm doing what I can, which is FAR more than I have EVER done before. That has to be worth something, right?!

Great response!

I just don't understand the whole punishment/reward thing if this is going to be a lifestyle change and not simply a diet. Heck, thin, fit and healthy people splurge once in awhile, too. Are brownies nutritious? No, but if you eat healthy and nutritious foods about 90% of the time some calorie dense goodies are not going to harm you or be enough to make you have to try to out-exercise a bad diet.

I know I push zig-zagging your calories a lot but I basically do what the quote above does. I hate a weekly calorie target that varies depending on my exercise calorie burn and that's what I shoot to eat for the week, not the day. I can have several small splurges a week, one big splurge, whatever and still eat mostly healthy nutritious foods to properly fuel my body while, also, having a brownie or bowl of ice cream or pie or whatever. I must say the Android phone app makes this much easier to track than the website does.

Anyway, I never feel deprived eating this way, am never hungry, and I am losing while nourishing my body properly. I rarely go over my weekly calorie target. But, gosh, even if I do, let's say I'm in a 2500 calorie deficit for the week instead of a 3500 calorie one. OK, that means that I theoretically lose about 0.66# instead of 1#. In the long run, big deal.

There are no bad foods. There are just "10% of the time" foods.

Great response. I also think like you.
    I eat very healthy and have no problems sticking to a daily calorie intake during the weekdays. When weekend comes, it is just difficult mostly because the day is not as organized as weekdays (I sleep in, eating times changes, go with friends, etc). At the beginning, I would be really bummed about my choices and will try to "over exercise" to burn the extra indulgences. I am glad it didn't take me long to realize that if I derailed 10% of the time, it won't be too bad. I just make the mental note to try and improve next time around. It has been over 2 years since I lost the weight I needed and I have only been able to maitain it because I am flexible and live by what I just wrote. It became a lifestyle, not just a diet I would do for "x amount of time"