SinIsIn
SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
20090519-qkd3n444jsmsb41utjmr4qw83j.png

What are your thoughts? :smile:

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wear a sweater...but you can see my plugs, the tattoo on my neck, and the tattoo on my wrist. I want someone to see me when they walk through my office door, not my tattoos. It's a business first, fashion later. If I can see your tattoo like the guy in the picture, that's fine, but I don't want to see your 5 foot pink hair do with tears tattooed on your cheek...keep it classy.
  • Swampstar
    Swampstar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used to work for the police and my tattoos were on show (my wrists). I think it's less of a taboo now and I wouldn't want to work for a company that ask me to cover mine up.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I have a wrist tattoo that generally shows unless I wear a watch, ankle tattoos that are covered unless I wear a dress out and tattoos on my back high enough up that they sometimes peak out. Generally I cover them up as much as possible. Work first, fashion second as someone else mentioned. My nose is also pierced and i wear an acrylic stud with a rhinestone in it. Most people either ignore it or don't notice it.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I work civil service for the us air force and military members cannot have any tattoos showing under their uniform.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If anyone cares, you're in the wrong firm.

I have forearm tribals, very similar to that picture you posted actually, and I earn a good wage in a good position with a reputable firm of over 3000 employees. In the summer I wear short sleeves. No worries.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Mine arent visable, they wouldnt care where I am now, but they are forever and somewhere down the road might care.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    depends on the workplace...if you're new to the work environment, keep them covered until you see evidence to the contrary or get a good feel for the place
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If you have sleeves, cover them up. If you have a small wrist tattoo, it's fine. I have a small one-inch tattoo on my ankle that I don't think is an issue, but a co-worker has one that completely covers her foot that she keeps hidden.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    My tattoo is on my right shoulder blade so not many dress outfits show it. I have a couple of lace tops that you can see it if you know its there. I don't see any problem with having a tattoo showing but I know some offices are strict about it. Piercings seem to cause more of a stir where I am from.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't want to see them in the workplace. Ok if you work in a tattoo shop
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You just have to look smart for work and tattoos don't affect that.

Also on the flip side don't get ink on your face and stretchers in your ears and not expect it to throw people when they first see you. They don't always mean offence by it.

I choose to keep mine covered at work but I don't hide who I am.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Classy, not gang related, or offensive (racist, homophobic, etc) are perfectly fine.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal to me personally. I think it's still taboo a lot of places though.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I also was a manager for a call center for 10 years and if you had visible tatoos that were offensive ie: nudity, violence, profanity, you either covered them up or we walked you out the door.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Depends on the tattoo and rules of the workplace. HOWEVER, I couldn't give a flying rats *kitten* if someone has tattoos or not! I LOVE them, love asking people about the stories behind their ink. It's a great conversation starter!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If I can see your tattoo like the guy in the picture, that's fine, but I don't want to see your 5 foot pink hair do with tears tattooed on your cheek...keep it classy.

I disagree to a certain extent here. I know a guy who works high up for a global engine manufacturer and he rocks up to the board room with a red Mohawk and does his business, he is by all accounts very smart and good at his job.

Wash your hair and then do what you like with it I say.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work at a super small law firm (boss, me, and one coworker), and my tattoos are visible all the time. I have one on my foot and one on my tragus (I have short hair, so I can't hide it anymore). Our clients rarely pay enough attention to me to notice them. I do want a chestpiece however, and wondered how many crew neck t-shirts I would have to buy to work the rest of my days there. LOL. I also have my septum pierced, but you better believe that thing stays tucked in my nostrils during work hours.
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher- I hid all mine (hair down to cover neck tattoos, long sleeves to cover forearm tattoos) for my interview but regularly wear short sleeves and hair up. The kids don't mind at all! I even was brave enough to do that for parent night and later asked the kids what their parents thought and the parents didn't mind, either (or none enough to tell their kids or email me about it). Mine are all pretty simple, not offensive, etc.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have wrist and tattoos on top of my feet and I just got a Marketing job.
    I don't cover them up.
    I dress nice. Trousers or trouser jeans, heels, flats, a cardigan, blouse etc.
    I was shocked when my work was like whatever, you don't have to cover them up.
    Just depends.
    I live in FL, if you think I'm wearing long sleeves all the time, you're insane.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine as long as it's not extreme (like face and neck covered) or vulgar.

I have a tat on the back of my neck and one above my left ankle. Sometimes I wear my hair in a ponytail and sometimes I wear capri's. I work at a corporate office and I've been here for almost 5 years and so far the only comments I've had are "I love your tat".