Tattoos in the workplace...?

Options

Replies

• ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My tattoos are covered for the most part, however I think if they are done right and look like a real piece of art they shouldn't be covered up.

So
    A. fined a profession that doesn’t care
    B. Cover them up
    C. Or don't apply for a job that doesn’t allow it is as simply as common sense “LOL”
    D. A company shouldn’t discriminate against it either.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I have a couple of friends in this thread who have KILLER ink!! I'm way envious. For now, mine don't show (shoulder and leg). However, one of these days.............. I am starting my own business in a couple of months and hope to build it big enough that I can quit my "good job." If and when that happens, I will be rewarding myself with sleeves. I have always wanted them but can't because of work. Things to look forward to 1) Getting in shape 2) building a successful business that will enable me to be who I want to be. :) Life is gooooooooood!!!!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    three of my route techs have pretty big tattoos on they're arms and legs. all the tattoos are very tasteful, some very beautiful, so i have no problem sending them out to our customers house. the only time i've fielded a complaint was when one of our now ex route techs came in with a face tattoo. i think face, neck and hands are areas i would not allow my guys to get tattoo'd.

our current route techs are very tasteful and respectful. i had one of my guys bring me a new tat design and let me know where he was going to put it for my approval...

no problem with tasteful tattoo's..
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Totally did a speech over this topic!
    If the person does their job well, they should be able to have them.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I am a lawyer and I have one on the top of my foot that can be seen. I am in court daily and I have never had a judge comment. Other lawyers comment but I just keep the conversation moving because it has nothing to do with my profession. I find if i don't make a big deal out of it, neither does anyone else.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    26612_10150182677695457_805420456_11939420_4668106_n.jpg

My teacher always said "competence equals deviance"...if you aren't a genius at what you do, don't try and bend the rules.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Why is it more professional to cover them? Remember I keep mine covered anyway.

Why is a person not as professional, smart looking or capable of doing a job if you can see their tattoo?

the same reason that t shirts with dragons printed on them arent professional in the office...im guessing

It's about aesthetics, and professional looking attire, I would assume. Now, if you could get a tattoo that was very "Brooks Brothers", I suppose you wouldnt cover it...lol
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I am pro tattoos in the workplace. The only ones I would say shouldn't be there are facial tattoos. I would love to get more tattoos but I think, at the place I'm at, they would need to be able to get covered, at least the chest piece I want would need to be.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I work for the Government and have a tat on my arm/wrist. I dont make a big deal out of it and I do not hide it. In fact, many of the directors have noticed and mention it; which then turns into friendly conversation.

For me, I love to see these men I work with day in and day out that wear a suit everyday except Friday. BOOM on casual Friday they have a short sleeve shirt and tons of tats... I love it. I think tats are super sexy and even more sexy when you don't expect the person to have them.
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos, 3 of which are mostly visible in the summer months (ankle, foot, top of back); I also have my nose pierced. I have never had any issues with having to cover up for work, and I am the director of a program run by a well known local non-profit agency. I have coworkers who have much larger tattoos and more radical piercings, all of whom hold managerial positions within my agency. Based solely on my own experiences, I believe that if you dress professionally and act responsibly, the majority of people do not think any less of you for having body art.
  • Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I work for the Government and have a tat on my arm/wrist. I dont make a big deal out of it and I do not hide it. In fact, many of the directors have noticed and mention it; which then turns into friendly conversation.

For me, I love to see these men I work with day in and day out that wear a suit everyday except Friday. BOOM on casual Friday they have a short sleeve shirt and tons of tats... I love it. I think tats are super sexy and even more sexy when you don't expect the person to have them.

I too work for the government and I have 10 tattoos, three that are always visible (one on each wrist and one on my foot). My tattoos have no impact on my ability to do my job, people notice them the first time they meet me and it never becomes a topic again. Personally, I feel like at some point in your career, you have to try to find a job that fits you, rather than the other way around. If an employer will not promote me based on my body art, I do not want to devote the majority of my waking hours working there anyways. I get that we live in a visual age, but in my experience the only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is, tattooed people do not care if you are not tattooed.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Sure....but a company also has the right to not hire them if they don't want tattoos in their workplace.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have 4 tattoos and most are covered this time of year. However, in the summer you can see them because of the other options of clothes. I don't have an issue with it and neither does the company I work for.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i have a full sleeve.

i work in corp sales for T-Mobile.

i cover up with customers, my work colleagues have seen it all.

its my choice, i dont have to.

my finger tattoo is always on show, being judged is something im used to. i dont have the problem, they do.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Sure....but a company also has the right to not hire them if they don't want tattoos in their workplace.

VERY much debatable. This wouldnt fly too well in the European court of human rights.

discrimination is discrimination whether its over race, sex, gender, sexual preference or body art.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    someday i hope body art will be included
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I wear long sleeves to cover mine up at work - even on casual sex fridays. I have a sleeve in progress on my left arm that sometimes peaks out from my sleeve at the wrist but it's not that big a deal. All the rest of mine are easily covered by a long sleeve shirt. I work for a government agency in a position that is traditionally pretty conservative. There isn't a policy against visible tattoos but there are several policies that currently exist here because of me and I don't see a need to try to have them make more. There are a few other people in other divisions that have the occassional visible tattoo so maybe after my sleeve is finished I'll wear a short sleeve shirt on a friday but wearing long sleeves hasn't made me start limping yet - even in Texas summers.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I wear uniform at my work (short and long sleeved shirts), my wrist tattoos are always on display, you can see my half sleeve a little when I wear the the short sleeves, not had any issues. As there are firefighters with visible tattoos (wear short sleeves all year round) there is little they can say!
    Though not sure how well a full sleeve would go down.... I do think I would try and keep it covered up.
  • redkim615
    redkim615 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos that are visible and no one has said anything bad about them yet. If I was asked to cover them I would, out of respect for my workplace.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't class my tattoos as fashion of any kind. They are more a part of me and who I am than any poxy suit or dress I decide to wear. I never dress to conciously cover my tattoos up. My wrist one is always on show as is my ankle one in the summer. I have never been asked to cover them up eithet and would hate to work for such a bigoted company that would ask me to do that.