Tattoos in the workplace...?

Options

Replies

• paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    someday i hope body art will be included

its a matter of time my friend, trust me!
  • soulwarder
    Options
    I have seen some interesting tat's, and some that looked like an after thought after a night of drinking! The Department where I work outlawed them so, if you have one, you have to have it covered. Lot's of gauze and knee highs with the toe cut out! I don't have any, after all the needles that I have had to deal with over the years the thought of doing it intentionally makes my skin crawl! But, I have seen some that were beautiful and, if that's what makes you happy, then so be it!:wink:
  • chefanie85
    Options
    As a chef nobody seems to mind that I have visible tattoos.

During the day I work as an office/store manager and I've never had a probably with the tattoos on my wrist and forearm. I'm getting a full sleeve this year and my boss, customers, and coworkers don't seem to have any issues with that. None of mine are offensive and they are all very personal. I've had some pretty cool conversations with my customers because they started asking me about them.

I worked for a store once that left this up to the managers. So when one manager was on duty it was alright, but for another we had to have them covered because he is completely against tattoos (in general, not just in the workplace). They made us wear bandages to cover them, so half the time people were asking if we had hurt ourselves. I started wearing a sweater over my work shirts just in case that manager was there. Then I would put it in my locker if it wasn't needed.
  • ElleD89
    ElleD89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my visible ones at my job. They recently changed the Employee Handbook to allow tattoos and everyone was like, "Go Elle!", but I had nothing to do with it. I think they're just opening up to tattoos in general. It took my first boss 3 months to notice mine and it's on my wrist!
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    well I work at bank and they are fine with tattoos..i have a saying on my waist and so does my co-worker..Our clients actually like our tattoos...I vote yes on tattoos in workplace
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I may be a little old school, and new school. I work in an insurance office, for my dad, who is very old school, and does not like tatoos. Most of the time mine are covered. I have 3 on my hips, unless I am in a swimsuit, me and my old man are the only 2 that see them. However; with that being said, I currently have 3 on my ankle. At one time it was only 2, I worked in a restaurant, and had a few older women I worked with, and I showed them my 2 ankle tats, 1 is my great dane I had as a kid, and the other is a sun/moon symbol, both in color, and asked if they saw them, would they be offended, or think differently of me, if they did not know me, adn they said no. If I were a skirt or dress, or shorts, yes, they are visable. SInce then I have added a celtic cross, with an Irish Claddagh to the inside of my ankle, fairly large, you can kinda see it in my pic. I love it, and all of them, they are for me.

Some tats do need to be covered, if they are offensive, if you get my drift; but I could care less about most ink, I think an artists work is beutiful, and let it be seen. Just be careful, we are a melting pot, and some older generations do not appreciate ink as much as the younger generations. My dad has learned to accept mine, as they are all meaningful, and have meanings that I hold close to my heart, he may not be a fan of tats, but has also learned it's a generation thing. All things in moderation.

I am a fan of piercings, but I also understand many are offende, more so then of tats. I had my nips pierced, since I had 3 holes in my ears already, and knew I wanted to work in an office, so i kept it somewhere for me, as that's why i did it, for me, not everyone else.

It comes down to think before you act, and remeber you may not be the only one seeing it, so be respectful of others.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have a pain in the *kitten* time trying to get a "real" job because of my tattoos (mainly my ring finger tattoo, and my forearm) & my piercing/hair color/hair style. It's such crap. Its 2012 EVERYONE has tattoo's/piercing these days. Its discrimination to not hire someone because of that. If you are qualified and dress how the job requires and maintain a clean appearance, there should be no problem. I have super low tolerance for any place that won't hire me for piercing/tattoos then I see a dirty looking/unintelligent/etc person working their but thats okay because they are "normal" ugh! I got turned down at freaking Starbuck's because I had blue in my hair. Professionally done, nice looking, not sloppy whatever, but it was blue. The lady interviewing me had fire red hair, not natural! how's that different? Sorry getting way off topic now.. It just upsets me that I can't get a okay job because I decided to look a way that makes me happy.
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    I wear a sweater...but you can see my plugs, the tattoo on my neck, and the tattoo on my wrist. I want someone to see me when they walk through my office door, not my tattoos. It's a business first, fashion later. If I can see your tattoo like the guy in the picture, that's fine, but I don't want to see your 5 foot pink hair do with tears tattooed on your cheek...keep it classy.

Its not "classy" to look a way that makes you happy? Maybe people shouldn't have to cater to you. If you don't like it, Don't look!
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    Don't want to see them in the workplace. Ok if you work in a tattoo shop

That is DISCRIMINATION! How is this okay? God forbid you are creative and want to modify your appearance because it makes you happy. What someone else chooses to do with their own body is not anyone else's business. If you don't like tattoo's don't get them.
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    I wouldn't want an employer so narrow minded that they forbade tattoos. If they take issue with something as benign as tattoos, I doubt we'd see eye to eye on a lot of other issues.

^this
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    Kind of off topic, but I thought it would be an appropriate addition to the thread:

405375_3041542995017_1156331801_32803076_845538806_n.jpg

^this is great. Thank you for posting that.
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    Totally did a speech over this topic!
    If the person does their job well, they should be able to have them.

Sure....but a company also has the right to not hire them if they don't want tattoos in their workplace.

Then a company should have a right to not hire someone for being overweight, or for their religion or for any other choice they make that sets them apart or makes them look different then the norm. Its all discrimination and NONE of it is okay
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I love my tattoo as it has great meaning to me.
    Having said that, tattoos are a sign of low class.
    That's reality.
    As long as you realize this, go in with eyes wide open.

You have just shut some doors that will never open.
    Me? I don't care which is why I have learned to just sneak through the back windows so to speak - :drinker:

I'm low class in a high class world, and I realize that I would never be fully accepted, but again, so what?
    I made my choices and love my life - tattoo and all.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My workplace is extremely conservative and we have a 'not below the clothing line' policy. I wasn't surprised at that, but they did ask me (before I was hired) to change the jewlery in my ear cartilege piercing to something with a clear stone. I gladly complied and most people don't notice it anymore. I miss my rockin metal horseshoe that I had in my piercing, but I can live without it. I really don't mind tats on co-workers. I know my boss has one, but I have never and will never see it.
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    I have an ankle tatt and mostly wear dresses and it's never been an issue. My other one is on my back so covered up anyway. I find it amusing that my girlfriend who works in a call centre had 30 pages of dress code - no visible tattoos, no shoestring straps, no capri's etc and I work as a Finance Manager in a corporate office and got told "just wear something nice"!!
  • mosertheninja
    mosertheninja Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have seven, going on eight (actually tonight) tattoos. Most of them are small but I do have a large one on my shoulder, and two visible on my wrists. It really does depend on where you work. I work at a retirement home as a server, so it's understandable why someone would ask me to keep it covered due to the clientele. Though I find it odd that I have to take out a small eyebrow peircing when our caregivers do not cover their tattoos. :-( What bugs me is that people tag on the word "Professional" when discussing this topic, and often in a negative way. Tattoos are considered "unprofessional", yet 24% of Americans 18-50 are inked. Some tattoos are also tackier than others which may factor into an employers decision to ask an employee to cover it up. Closed mined people just need to understand that ones skin does not represent their work ethics or abilities.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have two - a small star on my wrist and a sun on my lower tummy. Only the wrist one shows in my work clothes obviously, but no one has ever made a negative comment about it. I work at a law firm and half the people here have visible tattoos.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wear a sweater...but you can see my plugs, the tattoo on my neck, and the tattoo on my wrist. I want someone to see me when they walk through my office door, not my tattoos. It's a business first, fashion later. If I can see your tattoo like the guy in the picture, that's fine, but I don't want to see your 5 foot pink hair do with tears tattooed on your cheek...keep it classy.

Its not "classy" to look a way that makes you happy? Maybe people shouldn't have to cater to you. If you don't like it, Don't look!

if you don't like it, don't work
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have tats on my wrist, shoulder, chest and foot. The only one that is usually visible while I'm at work is the one on my wrist. Although my company really couldn't care less. When I reach my 1/2 way goal I'm getting my nose pierced and when I asked my boss if it would be a problem her response was not at all.
    I was a McDonald's manager for several years and they never had a problem with mine, but I do know other people that were made to cover theirs, either because they were very large or offensive.
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a back tat that certain tops will show (like the one I'm wearing today shows the top part of the tat). No one has ever said anything to me. Of course, being in ATX...."Keep Austin Weird" is what they say. ;) I mean, I don't totally goth out for work, but typically have my dark makeup, ripped jeans, and combat boots on, and no one says anything to me. I do my job! I'm also not customer-facing...my job is totally behind the scenes. If I were customer-facing, they they probably would say something.