Tattoos in the workplace...?

Options

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I got very nice comments from my co-workers and boss for mine :) Right now I work at a call center so whatever. people don't care what you look like.

I might have to change that attitude when I start working at a school, though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want an employer so narrow minded that they forbade tattoos. If they take issue with something as benign as tattoos, I doubt we'd see eye to eye on a lot of other issues.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Don't want to see them in the workplace. Ok if you work in a tattoo shop

I hire lots of college students for my job and sometimes will see a tattoo here and there. It's an hourly job not a career, so I don't mind. That said, I have worked in very conservative environments and I think it's more professional to cover tats, but I also think shorter nails, neat hair, and conservative clothing look better at work, too.

I'm old enough to remember my grandfather's tattoo, on his forearm, from having served in the French Foreign Legion. It wasn't pretty either.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    As an Officer I can't have any tattoos on show, at least not any that I didn't have that weren't pre-approved before I joined up. And certainly no new ones. However, I have none, and don't intend on getting one. I like them on others, but they're not really "me" I think I'd look a bit daft!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My work place is very conservative on the office side and far from it on the manufacturing plant side. Unfortunately I work on the office side. I have to keep mine covered. It's not too hard although the one at the top of my back occasionally peeks out. But at least one of the ones I want to get will have to wait until I change jobs because it's a bracelet.

Seems to depend on the company and the field you work in.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have 7 tatts and most are visible.... i have worked in healthcare at different companies for almost 15 yrs and nobody has ever minded.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Why is it more professional to cover them? Remember I keep mine covered anyway.

Why is a person not as professional, smart looking or capable of doing a job if you can see their tattoo?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    casual Fridays throw people for a loop. lol
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic, but I thought it would be an appropriate addition to the thread:

405375_3041542995017_1156331801_32803076_845538806_n.jpg
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher- I hid all mine (hair down to cover neck tattoos, long sleeves to cover forearm tattoos) for my interview but regularly wear short sleeves and hair up. The kids don't mind at all! I even was brave enough to do that for parent night and later asked the kids what their parents thought and the parents didn't mind, either (or none enough to tell their kids or email me about it). Mine are all pretty simple, not offensive, etc.

I personally would not care if my daughter's teacher had non-offensive tattoos on display. However, I would not appreciate her teaching asking her what I thought about it. If you want to know what parents think about something, come out and ask them. I think it was inappropriate for you to potentially put those kids in an awkward position.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    i am fully sleeved. I work for a very large international corporation. I wear long sleeves every single day. Even during summer. Do they ask me to? No. But I do it out of respect for my career. Not that ink is disrespectful, I just don't really see it as "professional".
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic, but I thought it would be an appropriate addition to the thread:

love it. i'm stealing it.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If you have sleeves, cover them up. If you have a small wrist tattoo, it's fine. I have a small one-inch tattoo on my ankle that I don't think is an issue, but a co-worker has one that completely covers her foot that she keeps hidden.
    I think thats total garbage .... A tattoo is a tattoo be it an inch big or a full sleeve ....... If the rules are no tattoos then I cover mine but it needs to be fair
  • imstartingwithme
    imstartingwithme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Luckily I've always worked in jobs that have celebrated individuality. I think this old idea of conservative dress in a job is severely outdated. If you can do your job, and well, there should be no problem.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have a small silhouette of a hummingbird (as in, filled in black) on the inside of my left wrist. I work retail so it's not a big deal, but I have a couple bracelets that easily cover it if I have a job interview or plan to go to a more *cough* stuffy environment. I've yet to have a customer comment on it in any way, shape, or form, since I got it. All my friends pull on my wrist and ask "what is this?" when they see me, though. lol It's nice.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In an environment where it is already tough to find a job, it may be a strike against you (right or wrong, that's the fact). I have mine where nobody can see it (as does the doctor in the picture above). You can have yours out in the open and that might be fine. But you are taking a chance that it won't be accepted and could cost you a job.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm also loving that picture. It's actually pretty relevant to the day I had today; I had to pick up my high school transcripts, and nearly everyone that showed up during the same few minutes had huge gauged earrings, 'hawks, tattoos, piercings... and all of them together were graduating college this semester to be geneticists, doctors, lab techs, radiologists, and... one more, but I forgot. It was a proud moment, though, seeing the look on the worker's face while he made conversation with all of us.

As far as tattoos... I'm actually planning for a pretty big one running down the side of my ribs, selected secondarily because of my job. The funeral industry and its main clients aren't really in the mood for self expression and tolerance (understandably), so all ink and metal are on lockdown and covered up. I wouldn't mind seeing it personally in this field, but I can appreciate why others might not want to.

As far as all other fields, no offense or eyebrows raised at all. The tech that gives me my iron shots has huge stretched out earlobes, and it doesn't faze me in the least.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos but in places no one at work would typically see. I have my nose pierced but the stud is super tiny. Unfortunately when we choose the life style with tattoos and piercing we open the door to be judge on appearance. I agree about business coming first, unless you are in an enviorment that is really laid back.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My company does not want them showing as they don't fit in the with the type of image they want to portray to the community.

When I worked in locations where I was face to face with customers all day, I could get away with my nose ring but always tried to keep my tats covered up. The location I'm in now is more "behind the scenes" so I don't worry as much. If I'm requested to go out and train or help in a branch, I will wear something with a collar.

I need a job. I'm not going to fight about their rules. It's their company and if I want a paycheck, I will abide by their standards.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options

WOW! Powerful picture I work with Doctors and some of them have tattoos and ride motorcycles and live on the edge...doesn't mean you respect them less! I Love this picture